1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Can't pick up items in the game anymore.

Discussion in 'Support' started by moontaker, Dec 3, 2016.

1. moontaker

moontaker Void-Bound Voyager

Just as it says in the title. I can't pick up items automatically (ie: if I cut down a tree the wood just stays on the ground rather than coming to me.)

This happened the latest time I opened the game up. Starting it vanilla rather than through StardewModdingAPI doesn't change anything. The last thing I did before turning the game on again was have to edit my save to turn back how many mine levels I had gone down, as Mister Qi's quest hadn't ended correctly and I had read that a bugfix for that was to just reset your levels then head back down to lvl 25 again. However, I have no clue how that would mess with item pickups..?

Any advice appreciated, this is my first character and I'm almost at the end of the first year :(.

Edit: Just tested and made a new character and I can pick up items in that file..? The heck is going on?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    • MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

By any chance, are the boxes in your inventory screen greyed out a bit?
      I know there's a modifier in the savefile that tells the game the size of your backpack. I've come across a few people before where it got corrupted, and made it seem like their inventory was full(their file somehow got set to '0').

This is the bit in the savefile for a new game without any backpack upgrades(use 24 or 36 depending on the upgrade size):
      <maxItems>12</maxItems>

If that's not the issue; feel free to upload your savefile, and I'll take a closer look.

• moontaker

Unfortunately it's still at 36 from the looks of it... Nothing else looks off just from a glance but I'm unsure exactly where I'd be looking at.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Alrighty, sorry for the delay. Took a while to look through the code.

Apparently this time around; it was an issue with the 'magnetic radius' variable. The game set yours to '0'. However, the default variable; like when starting a new game; is '128'.

You have a small magnet ring; so I tested with another save file of mine that has it, and you needed '192'.

Edit: Here's a fixed upload.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
          • moontaker

That's... hilarious. Thank you so much for the help!!!