Modding Help Can't add dialogue?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Azellia, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Azellia

Azellia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Recently, I've been trying to add some dialogue to the game, and while it's been going well for the most part, I'm unable to add any new dialogue to Shane's yaml for whatever reason. Everytime I add something new, xnb_node refuses to repack the yaml into an XNB. I'm new to modifying dialogue, but I don't think I'm doing anything seriously wrong. Here's an example of a line I'm trying to add, for reference:

Mon: "Are you growing any hot peppers on your farm right now? They're some of my favorites, you know." #!String

When I put that exact line into the original file, xnb_node refuses to repack it. Am I being a doofus and forgetting something simple, or is something up? I'm started to get a bit frusturated, as Shane is the last person whose dialogue I need to finish. Thanks in advance for any help!

• haywrites

haywrites Big Damn Hero

Did you try season_Mon? Like spring_Mon, fall_Mon, etc?

• Azellia

Alright, new update: all of my fIles now save, however, the edits I make don't seem to stick after I pack them back into an XNB. When I merge the files back, somehow EVERY SINGLE LINE of dialogue in the file gets cut out. The characters I've edited now only have one line of dialogue when I speak to them in game, which is 'Hi.' Why won't the changes I've made save - moreover, why does merging back into XML get rid of every single piece of dialogue in the file, including original dialogue?? Now each character has LESS dialogue than they did before I even started modding it.

(Just for the record - I've tried using regular Notepad and Notepad++ to edit the dialogue. Both of them delete all of my content immidiately after merging.)

• Savertin

Savertin Void-Bound Voyager

The system itself is not able to choose between dialouges which have the same triggers. So if there already exists a dialouge with the trigger 'Mon:' then you will just delete the other dialouge with the same trigger. If you add a new dialouge line after a exiting one with the same trigger, the old dialouge will be removed. Why all dialouges are removed, I'm not sure. But you must choose new triggers to add new dialouges.

• Azellia

Hm, that's odd ... for the most part, I'm just editing and smashing together already existing dialogue mods (all of which work fine when I don't edit them). The only file I've actually had to edit the code for was Shane, but his file is no longer the only one I'm having trouble with. I'll go back and try looking for repeating triggers, though - though doesn't the vanilla dialogue have repeating triggers to begin with?? I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible for the vanilla game to have as many dialogues as it does WITHOUT repetition, especially considering how few triggers there actually are.

• Azellia

Went back and made sure all of the triggers were different, but to no avail. Every single piece of dialogue still gets deleted the second I merge it back into an XML file. Is it possible there's something wrong with my version of XNB_node, or ...? I genuinely can't seem to figure out what's wrong. I don't really think it's the code, as I haven't even really edited it to begin with. I'm just changing the dialogue itself, but even adding just a comma seems to cause the file to flip out. It's really odd. I'm only having this issue with my .txt files, as well - .png stuff (like hair and furniture) repack just fine.

• Savertin

Savertin Void-Bound Voyager

.txt-Files? It should be .yaml-files.

• Azellia

They are .yaml, yeah, but they're text based ones. The furniture and hair ones are .yaml as well, but they're image based. I just mean that all of the text based files I'm editing aren't working properly, though the image based ones are!