1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you stay on the same music?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by redxlaser15, Sep 6, 2017.

1. redxlaser15

redxlaser15 Big Damn Hero

I love hearing the various different songs in the game, but sometimes I wish I could just take one along with me, but the game is all like: 'pfft, you are five blocks away from before! We must change the music!'
    Is there anyway to keep the same one going for a while longer? And I don't mean using an instrument, those are cool but are only really useful when you are doing nothing else. But I like adventure music!

2. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Try to buy the soundtrack or go on youtube while your running the game, it's the only solution

3. Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside Void-Bound Voyager

I also wonder what kind of difference the game recognizes when it changes the music on the same planet... For example, when i was going down from the surface to the planet core the same track was playing over and over, but when I took some steps in the middle and started doing some mining, the music changed. Is it random? Or is there an exact number of pixels you need to travel for a song to be changed?

4. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

The music changes when you get too low, get too high, or it turns night and the day and night tracks on that planet aren't the same

5. Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside Void-Bound Voyager

Hm, I see. Sometimes it just doesn't trigger and the track keeps playing for the whole in-game day) Thanks!

6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

While I'm generally okay with the semirandom music when wandering a planet surface, one thing I do wish the game did was better-coordinate soundtrack with situation. While the "change to battle music every time a monster is aggro'd" got obnoxious FAST in the early builds, it shows they CAN do better situational music cues.

I'd love it if there was, say, an "Avian village" theme that would play when you enter a friendly Avian village. Maybe throw in some ambient crowd noise to make things seem more alive. And then a more tense "Avian temple" theme for both the Avian hostile dungeons. Do one of those for each race's friendly and dangerous zones. I shouldn't be hearing the gentle tones of the main overworld theme when I'm jumping over lava pits deep in a Glitch dungeon or hacking my way through a Floran hunting lodge.