Modding Discussion Can someone make a mod that optimizes/remove the rain?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by spudcosmic, Dec 11, 2013.

1. spudcosmic

spudcosmic Master Chief

When I play Starbound I have almost no frame rate problems at all, that is, at least when is is not raining. I can usually get about 30+ fps, but the rain will lower it to an almost unplayable 10 frames. I would be grateful if anybody with modding skills could limit , remove, or find some way to optimize the current rain system. Thanks

Fdfinl likes this.
  2. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

The current modding API doesn't allow for much, the best we could try is changing the rain graphics to be fully transparent, though I don't know if that would help.

3. spudcosmic

spudcosmic Master Chief

I'd say it's worth a shot, however, that depends on how my computer is reacting to the rain. If the reason is that can't handle the sheer amount of objects on the screen then it might work, however, there's also the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

4. Black--snow

That what I was wondering.

It's possible that the reason is because of the many textures, but it's more likely to be the entities in general.
    Give it a go if you like, and tell us if it works. (I would try but rain doesn't lag me out)

5. spudcosmic

spudcosmic Master Chief

Hmm, from what I have found, rain doesn't appear have a texture, and is instead hard-coded into the game, because the assets/weather doesn't have any texture in it.

6. Black--snow

Took me about 3 seconds to find the textures. :3

Assets/Particles/rain

7. spudcosmic

spudcosmic Master Chief

Yeah, now I found it no problem, honestly my eyes skipped over the particles folder. Anyway I did succeed in making two thirds of the rain textures transparent (leaving one visible as a control so I'd know if it was raining) and it didn't seem to effect my performance significantly at all. Oh well, I guess I'll stick to deserts and moons until some of the optimization updates come out.

8. Black--snow

Ahh well, It was worth a try.

Off Topic: The only reason I knew about the particles folder was because I keep opening it up instead of the Projectiles folder. :p

9. Dilwoah

Dilwoah Void-Bound Voyager

It's most likely the entities themselves, try this. Go to > Starbound\assets\weather\rain

Open both files in your text editor of choice. (Make backups for each on your desktop).
    Find this line in both files : "density" : 150, << Change that to whatever you want, 0 being off completely.. Lemme know if this helps at all.
    Backup will be 210.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    simplex likes this.
  10. Phlosioneer

Phlosioneer Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds like you're on to something, Dilwoah. I'll try that out tomorrow, see if it works for me.

11. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

I'm testing this out now.

Update 1: I am now in-game and waiting for rain.

12. Dilwoah

Did you turn it completely off, or leave it at like 20 or something? Because if you turned it to 0 you might be there awhile xD

Ixath likes this.
  13. TheSpaceMan

TheSpaceMan Starship Captain

Turning the rain texture transparent won't help. You will essentially draw as many pixels as you did before only that when you apply the color to the scene it won't effect anything, but you will still touch the same amount of pixel data on screen.
    This is a common fillrate problem and it comes down to the number of times textures are drawn times the area they cover. Since every pixel "could" contain a really small amount of color you can't discard the information (you can but you would still need to check if the pixel contains color and if it should be drawn and loose that performance anyway) changing the particle count is the right way to do it. With the warning that more particle heavy effects are out there, waiting.

14. Dilwoah

This is correct. However the method I posted should reduce the amount of rain spawned.

15. nathan00107

@Dilwoah Your method seems to work.

Dilwoah likes this.
  16. Dilwoah

Awesome. I'm working on some other tweaks right now, such as those annoying lightning spikes in the apex labs that lag me to hell.

I'll post a compiled "FPS increase" package once I'm done.

17. nathan00107

Okay, don't forget about disabling snow aswell.

18. Dilwoah

19. nathan00107

20. Dilwoah

I'm already working on that, but if you'd like to compare findings I'd appreciate it.