Modding Help Can i install a Mod update on a save?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Junkriid, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Junkriid

Junkriid Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I would like to know if I can install a new version of a Mod (in this case Frackin' Universe) on a current save game. I just started a new game yesterday with Frackin' Universe and later it came an update for the Mod. And I don't want to start over again. Does this work? Or will it screw up my game?

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Because Starbound is procedurally-generated, flying your ship into new areas of the universe will generate new chunks.

Your old areas won't change, but newly generated areas should reflect any changes within updates.

(Tip with FU: The mod updates almost daily. You shouldn't worry too much about updating unless it fixes bugs you are facing or adds significant content/changes.)

Junkriid likes this.
  3. Junkriid

Junkriid Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the reply! Solved my doubt. I installed the update and it works fine.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

The thing about how modding is implemented... you can consider it good or bad. In the context of your question, I'd consider it good.

What information modders can save is VERY limited. To the best of my knowledge, only storage.state is truly saved and only in a boolean reduced fashion(pointless to assign the namespace to anything but a boolean value). Unless of course you're doing something crazy like spawning an item with specific JSON within a virtual container to save settings - I've thought about this LOL.

You might not understand that explanation as well as the modders would, but that's okay. Anyhow because I can't save much, I have to re-do things every time the object etc is placed or in a new session(loading a save, changing worlds). So it isn't like your old modded objects(etc) would be missing a setting the new version relies upon. So upgrading most things is pretty safe, with some possible exceptions.

Notably -
    Mods that modify ships may well require you to delete your old ship in order to generate the new ship.
    So first remove everything you want to keep from your ship onto a planet somewhere,
    backup stuff just in case(but you really shouldn't have a problem anyhow)
    delete your .shipworld from /starbound/storage/player/
    and then go log back into your character to get the new ship

DO NOT attempt to upgrade from a vanilla ship to most ship replacement mods. Do what I just told you to do instead. Upgrading your ship once you have the mod ship should be fine.

Depending on the ship mod though, you 'may' have to repeat that process if you want to get improvements to the ship added to the mod since you had first gotten your new ship. But that depends on the exact nature of the update.
    Changing what blocks are in the background by default? No because you maybe could just change that yourself in game, but it won't happen automatically.
    Uses different objects? Depends if you can craft them. Won't happen automatically.
    Expanded/added an area? Yes, unless you have a buildable ship mod then you could do so yourself.
    Improved look? Probably not.
    Improved functionality of objects? No.
    Changed tile art? No.

Junkriid likes this.