Feedback Biome Page Reformat

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by loopnotdefined, Feb 25, 2016.

1. loopnotdefined

loopnotdefined Starship Captain

I've been playing around with creating a new format for biomes, and I'd love to hear what people have to say about it:
    http://starbounder.org/UserWiki:Loopnotdefined

I've drastically reduced the Weather section since it seems the way Weather works in Glad Giraffe is different from the way it was previously set up. The JSON files indicate that a planet has a percent chance of having certain weather effects, rather than selecting from weather groupings. For example:
    Code:
      "garden" : [
        [0.05, "rain"],
        [0.025, "storm"],
        [0.0125, "glowingrain"],
        [0.0625, "drizzle"],
        [0.85, "clear"]

I'm going to add another biome test to my UserWiki below Midnight, since my first example is kind of skimpy on info (no crops, few mini-biomes, etc.). Just need to see how it lays out with more info shoved into it.

Dunto likes this.
  2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I think it looks good. :)

If I may suggest, you may want to see about pulling in the game data that's been uploaded (http://starbounder.org/Data:Biome/midnight). That data updates via a scripted process as the game assets change, so it should always be fairly recent. The template used for biome data itself and how certain other templates are used inside it are very much WIP, though, so if the data appears oddly formatted it's because of this. If you have any thoughts on the template structure, please feel free to share them. So far I've only made a token attempt at organizing the biome data template, so any thoughts on good ways to organize it are welcome (once data is organized in the template properly, it can be inserted into wiki pages and that page will update automatically when the data updates). Same goes for the weather data, that main weather page needs some reorganizing and tweaking so it will use the game data instead.

Currently, the wiki gets automatic updates of the following asset types:
    biome
    weather
    item
    object
    activeitem
    recipe
    (I think one more?)

The end goal is to have all of the asset types being formatted and uploaded to the wiki, but until we can organize some of the newer data (weather, biome) it's just gonna create more things to sort through. If there's a particular asset type you want to see/use on the wiki, let me know and I'll see about getting it added to the data bot.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
    loopnotdefined likes this.
  3. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

This actually looking really good!!

Biome pages get a lot of traffic but don't look very good, this is definitely an awesome project man!

Dunto and loopnotdefined like this.
  4. loopnotdefined

@Dunto: Thank you for the feedback. I've got some experience with templates and info boxes, but I'm fairly certain this stuff is a full level or two above what I've done. I'll spend some more time getting familiar with it and try to get a data-driven example on my user page, then post an update here.

@Katzeus: Thanks! Yeah, I noticed. :p

Dunto likes this.
  5. loopnotdefined

I'm...going to be taking a break from studying up on Semantic MediaWiki, heh. I know how the data templates + data articles work, and how standard templates + standard articles work, but for the life of me cannot figure out how standard articles are automatically loading info from the data articles. Also, some of the stuff I wanted to do would require figuring out how to parse info that is not clearly labeled (particularly monsters and bugs).

6. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Some of that labeling can be tweaked, as in, part of the bot's function is to recognize certain attributes and tag them with an appropriate template so that the data can be used more easily. If you can let me know what exactly you're trying to do and what data you're trying to use, I might be able to tweak things a bit as needed.

(I don't think monster/bug data is pushed up yet, but that is certainly doable.)

7. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello, I just wanted to see if it would be okay if I submitted some screenshots for the Hive mini biome, since you are reformatting the biomes. I'm sorry if they are not very good screenshots, I had better ones, but lost them. Here is a link to them.

8. loopnotdefined

Yeah, you'll be fine. All I'm doing is moving around info on the same page.

jakecool19 likes this.
  9. loopnotdefined

It seems monster/bug/critter is loaded into the data page's source, and just isn't displayed on the data page itself.
    http://starbounder.org/Data:Biome/midnight

Code:
    |spawnProfile=|groups=
    {{pool={{0.1111, scandroid}}{{0.1111, petricub}}{{0.1111, smoglin}}{{0.1111, batong}}{{0.1111, spookit}}{{0.1111, crustoise}}{{0.1111, pteropod}}{{0.1111, scaveran}}|select=1}}
    {{pool={{0.4, phoenixfly}}{{0.3, heathugger}}{{0.3, glowbug}}|select=1}}
    {{pool=generatedGround|select=2}}
    {{pool=generatedFlying|select=2}}
    {{pool={{1, darkwormcritter}}{{1, darkballcritter}}{{1, darkoneeyecritter}}{{1, darkthreeeyescritter}}{{1, bigwormcritter}}{{1, skywurmcritter}}{{1, krawlcritter}}{{1, darknessscabcritter}}{{1, dartcritter}}|select=2}}
    But yeah, I don't even know where to begin with getting that info displayed. I tried the Semantic MediaWiki site itself, but didn't really help much. Do you know of another SMW resource I could use to learn more about it?

10. Dunto

Dunto Guest

If you're trying to just display it on the Data page, you'll have to edit the template page. The data should still be accessible from other pages even if it's not showing on the Data page (it seems that's intended to be more of a preview than anything, from what I can tell).

All I know of is the main Semantic MediaWiki site, maybe @Katzeus knows of additional/other resources.