Biological/Cybernetic Body Modifcation

Discussion in 'Other' started by Mailboxhead, Mar 31, 2013.

?

What are your thoughts on this suggestion?

1. I want to see this implemented.

127 vote(s)
    93.4%
  2. This should not be implemented.

9 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

If they're aesthetic then they should be in the character creator. The character starts out with their home planet being destroyed, meaning that whatever backstory someone creates for their character could have happened on that planet and that's when they lost a limb or whatever and got the prosthetic. Any modifications that aren't aesthetic you shouldn't be able to start with for obvious reasons.

2. Mailboxhead

Mailboxhead Master Astronaut

I don't want these to give buffs though. If an unarmored player with all these mods went up against a new character, the older player would still have a significant advantage.

I like the thought of these being collectables though. New mods would be applied or removed through an NPC that functioned as a character editor that could also change the base hair, eye and skin color.

3. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I would prefer them to be aesthetic as well, just covering my bases.

4. Mailboxhead

I'm hoping to get some pixel art up for some possible mod concepts. Anyone know of a good artist who might be interested?

5. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Depends of how much time it'll take to do. I'm reading up to a studies in Graphic Design starting after summer at the moment ('m a slow reader, get easily distracted). But any excuse to get better at spriting is welcome. What do you have in mind?

6. Mailboxhead

Whatever you feel like doing, mate. I'd like to see some of the flowers and corals for the Florans and Hylotl.

7. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Oh, I misunderstood.
    Corals on Hylotl proved to be difficult, because they're the most colorful species next to the Avians. I chose to go with sea weed or algae instead of corals and all the other colorful marine life in order to avoid having them look like christmas trees decorated by mental patients:

[​IMG]

Also did the Glitch because I wanted to try out how they'd look after being sloppily repaired or rusted. I went with rusted, since the Glitch are by far the most detailed of the races, and anything I added to their design just made it look messy, so I chose to just follow the lines of the current design and add some rusty color. The Glitch design is so damn near perfection that I can't really add anything to it.

I had the most fun with the Florans. Plants mostly only have two colors, so they were real easy to make look cool.

8. Mailboxhead

That looks pretty cool. I especially like what you did with the Floran.

Don't forget though that the scaling doesn't have to be 1:1, meaning those flowers, corals, seaweed and machine parts could all possibly have a higher definition than the base character.

9. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Out of the question. When it comes to game sprites, I want all of them to have the same resolution. I started playing Sword and Sworcery, for instance, because I liked the art style. However, when higher definition ghost sprite came into the picture I immediately lost interest. To me it just felt wrong.

Well, that's my problem though. I'm a bit too nitpicky than what's good for me :/ However, I know that some mobs in Starbound have smaller pixels due to having been scaled down in size, but I've never ever seen a sprite that were composed to pixels of two different sizes. That would cause my OCD infested brain a lot of unnecessary pain.

10. Mailboxhead

I understand what you mean, it was only a suggestion.

Thing is, these mods would probably be applied to the character in the same way that armors and vanity items will, and I think some of those may end up being scaled differently.

11. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

In Terraria, armors and vanity items have to fit a perfect overlay over the base body sprite. I honestly can't imagine it being any different in Starbound.

12. Mailboxhead

Maybe I was thinking of the weapons then? I dunno. Still, that's some awesome work you've done!

13. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks. I usually get a lot of ideas for games like this. I tend to prefer illustrating my ideas due to not being good at describing visuals through words. If you read the Terraria forums back in the days, I was the one behind the 'Blight biome' illustrated suggestion topic that was pretty popular for a while. Some members think my work there inspired the devs when designing the 'Wall of Flesh' boss, although I'm not so certain of that myself. Still, I like to think that my ideas can contribute to improving games.

Are there any other race mods you'd like to see me do by the way?

14. Boese

Boese Tentacle Wrangler

I think some sort of gameplay change would be neat for cybernetic body mods, but obviously chopping off most of who you are and replacing it with mechanical parts is going to be sort of a big deal. If there are gameplay effects from the cybernetic implants, there should be some huge drawbacks as well, though I can't quite think of what they could be at the moment. Perhaps being completely ostracized by members of your own species? For a human, you leave as human, come back 50% human, might not be socially acceptable, and they'll now be hostile to you. Or as say the Glitch, you replace your mechanical limbs with different mechanical limbs, and then are considered a "heathen". Just my 2 cents.

Also, to get back your old parts, you'd have to buy new body parts from a shady black market organ dealer, and perhaps the skin tone wouldn't quite match up. Could be funny :p at least until the new limb acclimates to your body and then matches again.

15. Mailboxhead

Bit of a late reply on my part, but better than none at all I suppose.

Any gameplay changes would probably just be done through armor mods anyway. I just wanted a way to allow people to make their characters unique without having to worry about any penalties or benefits that might be added.

Also, who's to say your old parts wouldn't have been preserved for reuse? There's also cloning, so the missing parts could just be cloned and reattached as well.

You've done pretty good so far. The only thing I'd like to consider now is what kind of mods would be available for the Novakid since they've reached the preorder stretch goal. I believe they can already change their "hair" by running electrical pulses through their facial brands, so what else could we come up with based on that fact...

Also, I'm looking into getting a signature banner made for this thread. I'm thinking of requesting one from Black ★ Rock Shooter and Hong Meiling, but I need some images to use. Anyone got some good renders of a cyborg or something?

16. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

17. Mailboxhead

Nice

I was actually thinking of using Adam Jensen for a signature banner for this thread, but I couldn't find a suitable picture for it. That one's actually pretty good though. Any idea where I could find an unedited version?

GunmanRex likes this.
  18. GunmanRex

GunmanRex Oxygen Tank

Not of that exact picture, but I have this.
    image.jpg

19. Annoctatio

Annoctatio Pangalactic Porcupine

Absolutely adorable idea!
    I approve of this wholeheartedly.

For it may bring some extra work to Starbound, it can be postponed until post-release. In a game such as this, character customization is a MUST and it has to be extensive for the maximum immersion. Of course, there could be other thins to bring the immersion to next level, like different voices for your characters but that would simply be too hard to work with. That's why we must result to simple, yet effective methods such as this post.

How come I didn't think about this?

20. Mailboxhead

Voices would probably only fit for combat sounds and hit-indicators, like the grunt you'd hear when you were harmed in Terraria. But it could still work pretty well with this!

And yeah, I didn't think this idea would end up in the game at release. The devs already have so much they're working on at the moment.