REQUEST Better Recycling?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by CleverNickName, Nov 20, 2018.

1. CleverNickName

CleverNickName Big Damn Hero

I've been writing mods for a little while, but I've only recently started creating them for Stardew Valley. You could say my skill level is 0.01 out of 10. (My first mod was a Community Center Bundle overhaul that made it harder to finish, but with better rewards. I didn't bother posting it because frankly, there are about 100000 different versions of that already.)

I have an idea for a mod that I would like to create, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to even begin. I was hoping that a more seasoned Stardew modder would be able to offer me some pointers, get me started off on the right foot.

I'd like to modify the Recycling Machines so that they accept more items, and create a larger variety of materials. You know...make Fertilizer from Rotten Plant...make Void Essence, Slime, or Sap from Joja Cola...get a wider variety of stuff from CDs, Broken Glasses, and Trash instead of hundreds of torches and refined quartz...

It seemed like a good place to start dipping my toe into the Stardew modding hobby...narrow in scope, yet useful to a lot of people. Is this something that someone else is already working on, or would consider working on? If not, perhaps you could give me some pointers?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    • Pyma21

Pyma21 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm 100% with you but I don't know anythings at how create a mod :( But is there is easy stuff to do I will be happy to help :)

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

If you want to make it yourself, join the SdV discord and head for the modding channel; the folks there will be able to tell you how difficult the mod might be to make and give some pointers on where to start.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

oh man, i wish you luck oQo i would super be into the idea of the recyclers being more useful

• foggywizard

foggywizard Big Damn Hero

I'd suggest taking a look at Custom Farming Redux. If you want to go easy mode and just make a separate, improved machine, you could do it with this. Then the changes would also be compatible with Automate, since CFR machines are now supported through it, but additional recipes to preexisting machines is not.

• SinisterVoid

SinisterVoid Aquatic Astronaut

You could try Improved Machines.

Broken CD -> Refined Quartz x2
              Broken Glasses -> Refined Quartz x2
              Trash -> Iron ore x 3
              Driftwood -> Coal x 3
              Newspaper -> cloth x2

Then you could possibly add some other things in by editing the improved_machines.json file. I'm not sure how you'd add 'chance of getting a or b' though, so you may have to ask around.

• foggywizard

foggywizard Big Damn Hero

Improved Machines is just a Custom Farming Redux content pack anyway though. And you can definitely do random on there. I don't think Platonymous has added in percentage chance though. Just random.