1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta testing?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Breather, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waspor

Waspor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I wonder if they'll count likes as well the post count..... If so, we need to start spreading the love!:love::love::love:

2. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

They do "count likes"... Check your profile page :)

Waspor likes this.
  3. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I think they mean if the likes count towards the chances of being counted as an 'active community member'.

Waspor likes this.
  4. Waspor

No I mean for the whole "be active in the community to get in the beta" thing....
    edit: ninja'd

5. Jenkinz

Oh, my apologies, I misread your post hehe ^_^

Waspor likes this.
  6. Waspor

No problem:laugh:

7. Jenkinz

I hope they "count likes" as well then haha xD

Waspor likes this.
  8. Treeman4

Treeman4 Pangalactic Porcupine

well if it goes by posts and likes i am not getting in
    even though i cant even video no spoilers from me well i am slightly crazy

9. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

I suspect that they would look for other deciding factors before looking at post counts and likes.
    Tiy's twitter says
    What I get from that is that it's more about not just lurking, but actually joining the forums and what-not, and just generally hanging out. I might be wrong though.:)

10. Cobaltcakes

Cobaltcakes Cosmic Narwhal

I'd imagine they'd pick people who they recognize. Probably people they remember in a good way.

A few traits I could see being very influential:
    • Helpful: Always answering others questions. Not giving them attitude for not knowing.
    • Active: They have to know you exist somehow.
    • Nice: They're not going to pick a jerk, are they?
    • Mature: You have to be competent enough not to abuse your chance.
    I could never see post count being a deciding factor. As previously said, quality over quantity.
    Likes, I can see being influential, but likes can be received a variety of ways, and being funny doesn't make you a good tester.
    All in all, we should have faith in Chucklefish that they'll pick the right people.
    They've never steered us wrong before. ;)

Ignuz, EGadd and Aviakio like this.
  11. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

That's the problem with the two statistics that the forums shows. They display people who post everywhere (kind of hard for very introverted people to catch up) or make them laugh. I've noticed that most of my likes are from less serious posts where I post a funny picture as opposed to answering someone's query.

Chickenlord likes this.
  12. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

Contributing to the community =/= high post count. Its about actually being here to participate, help others, and make a difference. Being famous, being That Guy, being a spammer, etc are not going to get people anywhere. Yes, people will throw tantrums because they didn't get in, and guess what? People who do that only prove that the judgement call NOT to include them was the correct one. This game, this forum, and all the decisions made for both are in the hands of the team, where they belong.

xXSunSlayerXx likes this.
  13. Rollder

Rollder Void-Bound Voyager

the way i see this it could either could end three ways
    one which would lead to mass spamming, which in turn would lead to more draconian rules or more moderators
    and another which would make the game more popular, giving the game a huge boost on release but might head down the other path in that there will be more spam
    or that nothing will happen and the forums would stay the same

14. Bjorn

Bjorn Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope people like Yrimir and Pedguin get in the beta so people get beta footage even if they can't play themself.

15. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Hopefully InfiniteSe7enz doesnt see this. He made around 70 posts a day in Terraria Online.

16. Deity

Deity Title Not Found

I may be more active on the IRC than the forums, but I do hope I'm lucky enough to get chosen :]

17. mad0mat

mad0mat Void-Bound Voyager

I hope that all of you know what proper beta testing is. Not playing for pleasure, but actually testing game thoroughly. Looking for bugs sometimes replaying things many times. And I mean even the smallest, most insignificant things. That is proper beta testing. Not those open beta of most games, that is actually stress test of servers and, to be honest, some kind of given game demo. Not to discourage anyone. Of course it all depends of developers decision. Maybe this will be more like Terarria alpha LP testers. I hope not.

18. Jenkinz

If I get in the beta and recording / posting videos of Starbound is allowed then I'll be doing that every day :D !!

19. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I disagree, Beta testing is more like beta testing for Minecraft, it lasted for a long time and had bugs but people didn't play it to try and find bugs. There were bugs, and people pointed them out, but that's not why people played it for. I could be wrong, but that's just what I think.

20. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

Minecraft's beta test wasn't really an actual beta test IMO. While I can't really say what it was exactly, it seemed more like a way to sell the game before it was what they would've considered finished. That said though, again it is just my opinion that it wasn't really a beta test but something resembling one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.