1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Hence "estimated". The backer thing was before this thread mister.

Renlou, onerb2, Jonesy and 1 other person like this.
  2. ayunox

ayunox Phantasmal Quasar

But seriously, i think its a good idea to not release the game in this state, if there are too many bugs. Take your time and compare this preorder with others like Castle Story. Castle Story is still a Prototype and they did nothing at all but they released the game as early access to earn money. An they had already more than 1 year time. Anyways, i mean you guys should actually just wait and be happy with that. I want a good stable playble game and not something like Castle Story in this case.

3. Kelzo

Kelzo Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly I don't care if there are bugs I'd be ok with just playing it in the current development would be fine for me but if you say so

4. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

would you have the same attitude if it was a car? instead of a video game. what if you paid for a apartment in a timeshare would it still be "i mean you guys should actually just wait and be happy with that" why is it ok for a video game?.

sorry i like the play devil's advocate when people say just deal with it.

it sends me into a Rage :oops:

sorry just want to add, is not the real question not "it is not ready for beta" but "why is it not ready for beta".

Pingeh likes this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Somebody who didn't know what they were on about. Don't believe a random posting a date without a source. I could tell you it will launch on 23rd of November, and that wouldn't make it true. Wait for an official announcement to avoid confusion.

6. Oshkell

Oshkell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the honest answer, Tiy! :)

7. ayunox

ayunox Phantasmal Quasar

You can't compare a video game with an apartment or a care. I'm agree with you in one point if you give someone else a promise you must keep this promise. But a video game needs more attention cause you'll love it or hate it at the end. An apartment or a car is something individual you can search your own style in this case.

onerb2 likes this.
  8. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Asked and answered.

If you're not happy with the answer, that's another issue. But then the issue is yours alone, not theirs.

onerb2 and Jonesy like this.
  9. Lollerisms

Lollerisms Phantasmal Quasar

Honestly, I don't mind waiting for the beta. What I am afraid of is the development of the game to enter something like Cortex Command, where there hasn't been an update for over a year, and the developer checks in every 6 months. Not that Data is doing terribly, its just a little worrying. I know that the people behind Starbound are going to stick with it, I still have this itch in the back of my head to watch out. Anyway, with the size of the community, you could probably take the Mojang approach to bug detection/fixing, where you fix the really bad ones and let the players find the rest.

onerb2 likes this.
  10. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Actually it is many peoples issue. A vague "programing something is hard" answer - isn't much of one.
    Omni's answer does go into more grit thankfully, but doesn't explain what really caused a delay.

I think it is safe to say everyone understands programing is a tough thing. Nobody disputes that.

Edit: Edited to be less blunt and address an issue.

Pingeh likes this.
  11. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

i'm getting sick of you cherry picking my post's. im shore you are trying to wind me up so i say something that will get me banned from the forum.

so no comment at this time.

onerb2 and Pingeh like this.
  12. Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

It is if you do anything related to programming. More seriously, bugs tend to be non obvious so it takes a lot of work to figure out what is causing them, and when you have a game, you may have multiple different pieces of code acting on something.

13. Fyreflyte

Fyreflyte Pangalactic Porcupine

They've given quite a bit more information than that, and yet somehow people keep re-quoting a single line from one of the explanations and asserting that it's all the info they've given. Various devs have said in various posts that they were overly optimistic about how quickly they could code all of this stuff and get it into a playable state. But programming is not an exact science, and you can't always account for all of the issues you're going to run into. Sometimes a quick change you thought was going to take an hour ends up taking 2 days. As an example of something they've actually shared with us: they thought their physics engine was done, but eventually ran into issues making flying creatures function properly. It took a couple of programmers several weeks to redo the engine, and probably a lot longer than that when you consider the inevitable bugs that popped up for weeks after. There isn't any one thing that's slowed them down, and it's not their job (nor worth their time) to report every little issue to us.

Are you sure? Because your repeated questions about why it is taking them so long indicate that you don't get it, which makes sense if you aren't a programmer. And I highly recommend trying it out if you haven't before; it can be very rewarding, and may offer you some insight into the answers they've been giving.

onerb2 and Qndrez like this.
  14. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

You're not likely to get exact details of what caused the delay, because it's almost certainly not any one thing, but an accumulation of many things taking longer than planned. It really doesn't matter what caused the delay anyway - it's a fact, nothing can be done about it, the devs have acknowledged it and apologised. We move on.
    If you say so. I thought I was responding to what you said "was the real question", which seemed pretty clear to me - how did I misinterpret it and misquote you?

15. Lacerda

Lacerda Void-Bound Voyager

The part that saddens me, is that they most probably knew that game wouldn't make it in 2013, but still put it in preorder. Was it so hard to put 2014 or even "Then It's Done" (tm) in preorder? No it wasn't. Everyone is happy, no complains, everyone get that was promised! It's also won't hurt if game announced for 2014 will suddenly make it in 2013.

Thus putting "2013" had the reason to boost the preorders. In April, I get the feeling for beta like in August/September, with the release in, like, December (worst case). Preordering meant to boost up development significantly, because major team members would go fulltime on the game. So it looked definetly as 2013, because that was the date even before pre-order started.

So, it's saddens me not only because I have to wait longer (don't have a problem with that) but because I really trusted Tiy as a probable exception in the "World of Pre-Ordered Games". I generally don't trust preorders, and this was the first pre-order in which I'm actually participate. Now I guess this is also the last one.

Xander, Mamont, LeifGram and 2 others like this.
  16. AssasinxXx

AssasinxXx Orbital Explorer

The thing that mainly irks me a little is that they don't really give us an update in terms of how stability is coming along for beta, most the updates are just fluff being added and unless they have other team members (like bartwe) allocated onto systems, it feels like the beta is being delayed for minor details. At the rate they move it feels like beta will be out for a month before the release comes out.

17. Lacerda

Lacerda Void-Bound Voyager

Hm, I couldn't say I have that feeling too. I guess the game progresses quite steadily, but it's the countless features that appeared after pre-order success is that slowing things down. I mean that's not so quite important to add playable musical instruments in the game ATM. This could be added in the "long-term post release support" that Tiy promised us.

onerb2 and Mamont like this.
  18. ToastyGod

ToastyGod Big Damn Hero

I meant like october 2013 xd

Ἄνουβις likes this.
  19. tadejcek007

tadejcek007 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why so much hate? They want to make best game possible and if this take a little more time (its not like 1-2 years. its just couple months) i don't mind. I'm tired of half made games because developers rush to get game out in time. I rather wait and have very good game than game that came out few monthes erlier and its full of bugs. I still support developers of Stourbound because i want this game to success. While i'm waiting i will just play something else.

onerb2 likes this.
  20. Admiral RsenHyi

Admiral RsenHyi Space Spelunker

2013-09-30_22h56_51.png
    >Member Since:Sep 15, 2013
    >I still

Oh lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.