1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mxpsych

mxpsych Subatomic Cosmonaut

This was why I sort of understood why he got insulted:

The Shifter guy said "I can understand your native language is not English, so please, just ask me to clarify a point if something seems vague."

and then

So yeah, i dunno, whatever.

2. onerb2

onerb2 Pangalactic Porcupine

didn't see that, but well, both are wrong there. i still think that he lost the reason.

3. Donseluke

Donseluke Phantasmal Quasar

Oh my bad, i thought someone was cussing out misho again. Well thats what i get for not doing my research. I'll live with that.

4. Grezasaur

Grezasaur Space Spelunker

But what about terraria 1.2, i think that this game and terraria are very similar, so dont you think that beta (or some release of something besides the i49 demo) should be brought out to combat the HUGE update that is terraria 1.2?
    #STARBOUNDMASTERRACE

5. onerb2

onerb2 Pangalactic Porcupine

the HUGE update in terraria is not all that big, after that update terraria will be pretty much the same game with some more craftables and some extra stuff. I don't think that terraria will be much of a threat to this game as a lot of terraria fans will buy starbound too :D

Fortport and Donseluke like this.
  6. Donseluke

Donseluke Phantasmal Quasar

Terraria stopped being a threat about five months ago when the game was in early alpha. :D

onerb2 likes this.
  7. Fortport

Fortport Void-Bound Voyager

I'm kind of a fan of Terraria; but not really. I'll give the game a ~7.8.5/10 :wut: (Currently. Doubt the update will bump it up too much.

At this point, I don't even think these games can be put onto the same shelf, as they'll be very, very different. Just a little similar.

onerb2 likes this.
  8. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

So accusing me of not having my first Language English, when it obviously is, is not mean? And he has been acting Trolly Before too!

9. ForceablePlace

I lost? I ONLY gave a IDEA to speed up Development, you came in and said that people would be getting Spoiled by it, then i said they dont have to play the Game, or watch videos on it, then you just said what you said before! Damn some people...

10. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Let's do some basic math. If the game comes out somewhere in the timespan from 2014-01-01 to 2014-01-31, then the beta could come out anywhere between 2013-12-01 and 2013-12-31

Well then, you're not very good where grammar is concerned. What made me think that English wasn't your native language were things like these:
    It's not "cant" it's "can't".
    not "minecrafts" but rather "minecraft's" when indicating possession.
    "for ever" is correct, though it's odd to see it used instead of "forever"
    "ordered"; "they're"; "don't"; "lose".

Now, don't get offended, I'm not trying to say you're stupid or anything, I just pointed out what gave me the impression that you might have difficulty speaking English. No offense meant.

You still don't get it. It's disadvantageous to the devs in most ways. It goes against basic marketing. It goes against basic logic. It goes against human nature. The example I gave still stands and counters this point.

You were not giving an idea. You were just giving reasons why they should release the beta right now, instead of when it makes most sense and the developers decide it's best for them and everyone, knowing more about their own game progress than me or you do.
    I'm not insulting you, it's my manner of speaking.

Yes, I suppose I made a mistake there, Truthfully, I meant no offense. Simply, he was making very many grammar mistakes and sometimes misunderstanding what I wrote in the technical sense, so I presumed he had difficulty with English. Sorry about that. I pointed out what made me think so somewhere higher in this post.

onerb2 likes this.
  11. CrestOfArtorias

CrestOfArtorias Void-Bound Voyager

Lets just judge games on their own merits. Terraria is a fun game, but its not Starbound, the latter has a lot more content and potential and mod support. Comparing one to the other would be like comparing apples and root beer.

12. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Agreed from what I've seen they are only alike in looks and genre. I have a colleague making a game that looks a hell of a lot like minecraft, but when I see his test vids it definitely does not work like minecraft at all.

I don't think starbound has to "defeat" terraria, it just has to be fun. There is no need to go head to head with it. Also pitting a beta against a full fledged game would not be fair.

onerb2 and Shilalydawg like this.
  13. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Unfortunately since Terraria did it first, just like minecraft the general public will call it a ripoff or clone.
    I'm not saying that is right, just that people aren't fair at all in the court of public appeal.

onerb2 and PSS like this.
  14. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

People called terraria a ripoff of minecraft. What do you call a ripoff of a ripoff? Are ripoffs transitive? Important questions.

onerb2 likes this.
  15. Vanishing

Vanishing Zero Gravity Genie

hmm..ripception.

onerb2 likes this.
  16. kyuubibeast

kyuubibeast Void-Bound Voyager

Am i the only one who's noticed that they updated the release info is that for real or something

17. Delimar

Delimar Star Wrangler

Since when did this ripoff conversation start? Terraria and mine craft are NOT rip offs of each other. They are both voxel games with two completely different play styles. You cannot compare the two outside of the voxel nature of the game. Think of it as a game engine. Several games use the same engine, but are they rip offs? No.

Excuse any typos. This was done using my phone.

onerb2 likes this.
  18. LuisWolfe29

LuisWolfe29 Void-Bound Voyager

I really do see Starbound being much of a computer game then anything else. It will defantly become much more popular on PC. :)

onerb2 likes this.
  19. ForceablePlace

I dont use Grammar on the internet cuz im used to sites like YouTube, where we are limited to only 500 characters or Twitter with 100, it lets you type a lot more without them, And you dont have to correct everything i said wrong, stop being a Grammar Nazi lol But anyways i thought you where just a total dick sarcastically saying that, But like i said, I dont use Grammar much on the internet, it would be different if im doing a Professional thing, or Writing a letter, not talking to someone on the Internet, and why would you think I have trouble with English if i dont use apostrophes? thats literally the only thing i dident use, other then that i may accidentally forget a Letter, or press a key twice, and I use capitals when talking to people on some words, think of it as using the "bold" function, but since things like YouTube dont allow that, i have to make do with what i have... That being capital letters on the first character on some words.

But, a few days ago i went to the Beta Thread (This Thread), saw half of it was Spam about releasing the Beta early, so instead of saying i want the beta NOW, I thought of something that could be productive, rather then spam, so i thought that because they have to do everything themselfs, why not let us help find bugs, Test stuff, etc... to let the Full Release come Quicker and less buggy and overall better!

Then i met you, we talked, and now were here...

... Here talking about Grammar on the Beta Thread...what happened?! lol

20. ggh325

ggh325 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yay! Release date announced! Wait, it was yesterday.
    Seriously, someone explain! I'm confused...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.