1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shhmio

Shhmio Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

Vin and Skarn like this.
  2. Diagnosan

Diagnosan Subatomic Cosmonaut

No. Now it ends.

3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i cant beleve the games coming out in a week,

its going to be SO AWESOME

4. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

No. Not even a little bit. There has been very little communication and transparency where and when it was needed. I can go into detail if i must, but it's been said before. A lot.

Everyone who did. And must say i am pretty pissed with how things have progressed. I don't know where most of the money went (as they did not need over a million to work on it full time) but it was not used to hire programmers to speed it up. This late? No, it won't help. But back when preorders started? Yeah, hire programmers, not artists. Look on the CF site where it shows the team, there are 2-4 programmers and like 8 artists or more. Something tells me they could have spent that a bit better.

Not a chance. In fact it's gated me from pre-purchasing any other games ever again. And even purchasing any games from CF to be honest. I'll be taking each game that comes out on it's own, not crucifying it for being published by CF, but it's certainly not doing them any favors. And it's DEFINITELY making certain they get no preorders.

To say this whole situation could have been handled better is probably the largest understatement i've ever made. Ever.

BrakSampson, Pingeh and Diagnosan like this.
  5. zanthal

zanthal Existential Complex

6. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

such optimism :DD
    hold on to your butts
    december 4th (yay)

7. PolarStar

PolarStar Subatomic Cosmonaut

A reminder that you can't post a casual thought about a release as a dev without everyone treating it as fact.

I'd love for the 4th too but he said probably so we'll see.

8. Renlou

Renlou Industrial Terraformer

I don't wanna be in this thread if it doesn't come out December 4th. I really don't

9. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

I do, and i'll have my popcorn ready :whistle:

10. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

well he sead propley witch means he has it set for the 4th,

unless hes lying =p

11. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Sandwich Man

You can't post it casually when the tension is this high. He knows the implications.

12. Hazmat

Hazmat Weight of the Sky

Or at least, one would certainly hope he does.

13. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

In reality their is no tension it's just the usual for any game release especially when the developers talked about the game before they were ready too.

14. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Sandwich Man

Good point. He could be drunk. This is definitely something I would drunkenly do. That's why I have currently developed 0 games.

15. Hazmat

Hazmat Weight of the Sky

I'm sure it's causing a bit more nervousness than it would with a larger, established company that did the same.

16. Serenity

I guess you're right.

Skarn likes this.
  17. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

While one can hope.. Tiy is the one who said soon about many things.
    Which.. have not occurred anytime reasonable soon.

At this point they really couldn't dig themselves a deeper customer relations hole with professional mining equipment. :rolleyes:

Pingeh likes this.
  18. Serenity

sure :rolleyes:

19. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

More delays =/= more time in development. Sometimes, even with delays the game still isn't truly finished after 'release'. Which means that despite the delays, it still potentially could've benefited from more time. Assuming the developers weren't squandering the time they were getting, that is...

Also, time is relative to the project, and the person working on it. For example, if I ask a couple of painters of otherwise-equal skill about making a portrait under certain specifications, one may tell me he'll need a week, while another may say three days. If I ask the first painter to complete the portrait in three days, can I really expect the same level of quality as if they had the full week to do it? Of course not. So, going from this:
    a) Everyone has a different workrate. It's unreasonable to ask someone to meet the time standards of someone else.
    b) Because of the above, estimates are difficult to formulate without any prior experience. People have no way of knowing how long something will take until they've already done it themselves.
    c) Also because of the above, saying that something is taking "too long" is an erroneous assumption that often fails to account for the people or the work involved. One could say so if it took longer than it would take most people, however.
    I thought the RROD fiasco was going to be the end of Microsoft's gaming department too for a while, but all it took was for them to own up to their mistakes and treat their customers right, and suddenly everyone had forgotten. Okay, not everyone, but still, they held their own for the next five-ish years, right?

Likewise, I think missing that date would be a pretty big deal for a lot of people, yes. But it would hardly be the worst delay ever seen, you know? It's still well into the realm of fixable issues, as long as they take steps to address the situation and all.

Disclaimer: I'm also in the camp that doubts this would ever happen anyway, so yeah...
    I was wondering how this got so many likes, then I saw the link and was like "...Oh *hits like button*"

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    Litagano Motscoud and Fyreflyte like this.
  20. Wulpher

Wulpher Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really don't want to be that guy, but if they recanted official release dates, how far can we trust something said in passing?

We're all thinking it...

On that note however: CALLED IT, FIRST WEEK OF DECEMBER.

Of course, this is following several failed predictions, but dang do I feel good.

Who duh man? Wulpher duh man.

...Skarn can be the man too.

Also Xander. If he plays nice.

Edit) And Hazmat. Hazmat can be the man as well.

Pingeh, Litagano Motscoud and Hazmat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.