1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 97raven123

97raven123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"For those who have pre-purchased the game, are you happy with how the development has progressed?" Generally yes, However more recently I think they are making less than wise choices

"How many people thought that by pre-purchasing the game it would help with the speed of the development?" Probably a majority, me included.

"Would you have pre-purchased if you had known that there would be no beta this late in the year?" Yes. Beta soon or not, this game still looks fantastic, and I still want to play it.

2. Aureas

Aureas Big Damn Hero

im a patient person, no problem waiting. i thought the prepurchase was mostly just to keep the studio afloat. dont regret buying it at all.

Paco495 and Khyron42 like this.
  3. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

Good man! I like your reasoning! Thanks for preserving my insanity!

Wulpher likes this.
  4. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

For those who have pre-purchased the game, are you happy with how the development has progressed? No (at this time i believe that they offered beta and full releases in 2013 to gain more pre-orders without knowing that they could fulfill that promise)

How many people thought that by pre-purchasing the game it would help with the speed of the development? Yes (i believed them at the time)

Would you have pre-purchased if you had known that there would be no beta this late in the year? No (i don't normally back games that don't have early access at the time of purchase unless there a kickstart. at the time i believed starbound was worth it. i still think the game is worth it but my patience with chucklefish as run out )

Snowfalcon and Pingeh like this.
  5. Gnomechompski

Gnomechompski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

31 December for sure!

6. Snowfalcon

Snowfalcon Big Damn Hero

The C/2012 S1 or Comet ISON is a comet that comes to perihelion 0.0124 AU from the sun ( hence sungrazer, as in grazing the sun or star as it were, hence Starbound) and the best time to see it will be around the 14th-17th December.
    Also a lot of astrologers doubt if the comet will actually make it past the sun, and I got the "sungrazer" from Brian May ( yes the guy from Queen) he is also known as Dr Brian May,Astrophysicist ;).
    *edit* heres a link because you are interested in comets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sungrazing_comet ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    onerb2 and misho like this.
  7. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

It's either going to be in the next 2 weeks, or after christmas. most likely after christmas. The devs need to be available when the beta is released and I don't think they want to be doing that during christmas. I also don't think they want to release the beta and then take a break for christmas which would again lead me to believe after christmas is the time for the release. They can start the long road of finishing the game after christmas vacation while people complain about the development. (That's not to say it's not getting better, just that people always complain :) )

8. Vin

Vin Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with your reasoning, but I hope it's not true. I have a massive English paper that my teacher expects us to start writing during Christmas break, due in January, and if Starbound comes out around Christmas I may not ever start writing it:eek:

bbq1040 likes this.
  9. onerb2

onerb2 Pangalactic Porcupine

i know that feeling bro.

10. Khyron42

Khyron42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm 100% happy with the development progress.

At no point was I under the ludicrous, nonsensical illusion that my extra $20 was going to speed up development somehow. More time = better game.

I pre-purchased the instant I saw the button. I had been made aware of the game, bizarrely enough, by TVTropes, reading Terraria's "Fan Dumb" entry. It mentioned a game accused of being "Terraria IN SPAAACE" and I thought "That is a thing that I want that thing give me nonwownow". When I saw that Beta access was included, I decided to pre-order, but I had absolutely no sort of timeframe in mind - I had never seen any sort of launch date, and just figured, "Hey, whenever it comes out, I'll get a chance at it early."

At a pre-order take of almost 2 MILLION DOLLARS, I think Chucklefish is probably wise to take their time and make sure their existing ~100,000* customers and the untold number of future customers get a product that looks and feels like a 2-million-dollar product.

Paco495, Gene, Capt_Electron and 2 others like this.
  11. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

If they release after Christmas, assuming they all go somewhere else for the holidays, that would most likely mean a 2014 beta release. ANY time after December 31st, 11:59 pm would be a PR nightmare. Not a bad scenario, not an outcry, not a riot, not some "angry children who can't wait for a good game", a NIGHTMARE. A full 9 circles of hell nightmare. I'm talking full on shitstorm, and nothing less. No amount of praise, damage control, and "We love you Chucklefish, keep up the good work!!!" could ever drown out the screams, and though it sounds like i'm being over dramatic, this hits closer to what would happen than any other prediction. I can't speak for everyone, but if a 2014 beta release was to happen without asking my friends (the only people stopping my refund right now) I would redact all $75 I have spent towards this game, tell them Good 'Ol Starbound had to be taken back behind the woodshed, and never mention this game again. Would it be a little irrational? An overreaction? Maybe, but New Years Day would be the point where I stop supporting this company's endeavors.

But i'm confident, i'm 100%, full on, blindly, zealously, heart-brokenly, defiantly confident this will never happen. Though, 4-5 months ago, if I had told you Starbound were coming out in December?

You would have called me insane and a pessimist. Look how fast that changed.

So we just never, ever know, now do we?

Kanthel, misho, LeifGram and 2 others like this.
  12. NaniRoxy

NaniRoxy Subatomic Cosmonaut

For those who have pre-purchased the game, are you happy with how the development has progressed? - Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. If starbound did not release its beta this year I would be pretty upset since I've watched several other release dates pass me.

How many people thought that by pre-purchasing the game it would help with the speed of the development? - I bought it because I thought it would help speed development. Though I'm dissapointed its been taking so long, I don't regret the wait since the updates they've been adding have been amazing.

Would you have pre-purchased if you had known that there would be no beta this late in the year? - I bought the game because I never know where my next paycheck is coming from. I was happy I could put the money down and not worry about it later.

Khyron42 likes this.
  13. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Yeah, there's about a dozen qualifiers that have to be met for it to be accepted. Even then, though, an implied admission is not enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. In fact, accusing without any evidence may qualify as slander, depending on the circumstances/intent of the speaker.

Bottom line though: trying to apply that doctrine to an internet forum is almost hilarious. People are not, in fact, expected to answer every accusation put out, otherwise trolls would never stop coming up with BS to accuse people of, as is their nature.
    More or less. It's felt kinda slower since i49, but I think that's more because of them working on things under the hood, so to speak. At this point I'm just waiting as patiently as I can for the game to come out. I can't shake this feeling like it's right around the corner, any day now, which isn't helping since I get burned out pretty quickly that way.
    Everyone who read the preorder page. >_>

(I'm not sure if them doing preorders at that stage was a good thing or not. On one hand, yeah the game's faster, on the other, they made a promise that they're struggling to keep. While it won't affect me or my enjoyment of the game in the slightest, it has ruffled some feathers unnecessarily.)
    Anyone who's taken a course in business or finance knows that if someone estimates to a particular time period you give them to the *end* of that period before you start complaining. :p

Besides, if I'm going to buy the game anyway, I may as well do it when I have the money.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  14. fatalbertlamont

fatalbertlamont Void-Bound Voyager

How is it a "nonsensical illusion" to think that giving a developer an income to work on a project they've already committed to so that they can have the time and money to work on it full time would speed up the development of the game? For the sake of clarity look at it like this. 2 developers have bills to pay and a vague "2013" deadline to make and no job. Who is more likely to finish the 2013 deadline first, the developer who's getting paid specifically to work on their game, or the developer that has to work 40 hours a week to pay bills?

More time =/= better game - why are there so many shit games that have been delayed up the wazoo? I'm not going after you personally, but this logic is really tiresome.

Does more time mean: Better painting, better book, better food, etc? Course not! These are all things that also apply to the "you don't just put money in and generate code" philosophy.

Pingeh and Hazmat like this.
  15. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

16. Shhmio

Shhmio Scruffy Nerf-Herder

December 4th... the long wait is coming to an end

17. D_Axel

D_Axel Aquatic Astronaut

18. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Sandwich Man

I'm putting $20 on red and lettin' it ride. Or, rather, I put $20 on beta and I'm lettin' it ride.

EDIT: I JUST SAW WHAT YOU SAW AND NOW I'M EXCITE! Dec. 4th it is! HOOOORAY! potentially

BrakSampson likes this.
  19. Dawn of the 10th Day
    -218 Hours Remain-

20. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I reeeaaally hope they make this date. I'd hate it so much for December 4th to pass without a release. The backlash would be unholy.

Johan and Hazmat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.