1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FilipinoBoiii

FilipinoBoiii Orbital Explorer

Beta's not coming out this month.

2. 97raven123

97raven123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can a man dream? Can we all dream for something wonderful?

Cowboypunker likes this.
  3. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Sandwich Man

With the amount of people that pre-ordered I can almost assure that somebody will. Still, it's unreasonable to expect a level of optimization that would make such a setup possible.

PlayMp1 and cyberspyXD like this.
  4. Wulpher

Wulpher Subatomic Cosmonaut

There are no dreams here... Just shattered hopes, and regret...

Oh, and this game called Starbound.

5. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Okay, just to be clear, I haven't seen that many streams due to never paying attention for them and such.

That said, the only time I'd seen any kind of performance issue at all was when Tiy edited one of the grappling hook items to make him go ridiculously fast, such that the game couldn't keep up with him(and thus forcibly stopping him when he tried to move outside the area that was loaded). When that happened, I believe he mentioned being on a crappy laptop as the cause and that even then it wouldn't have been a problem if he wasn't streaming.

Now, I don't know if that was the worst case example or not, but if it is, I'd say it's already optimized pretty decently :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Wulpher and sammanzhi like this.
  6. totallybob

totallybob Big Damn Hero

Well, the game isn't here yet, but it will be here soon.

But until then, help yourself to some shattered hopes and regret, theres plenty for everybody.

7. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Sandwich Man

I stand in the rubble, the ruins of the monument I once knew as "my life." On my knees. Hands to the air. Tears in my eyes. I look to the smog that covers the once blue sky. "STARBOUND!," I roar.

Falling into the dirt, I crawl over to what remains of my computer. As I flick the touchpad my computer springs to life. "Estimated Release Date: 2013," reads the screen. I rack my brain. How many hours had passed since I last saw this screen. How much more blood must be spilled in my incessant wait? Am I doomed to forever stay at the edge of my proverbial seat?

Rolling over, sweat soaked from the anxiety the beta release has weighed upon my psyche, I stare into the murky abyss. When, dear Lord, will my day come? Where... I ask myself... is beta?

8. Wulpher

Wait guys, I get it.

This IS Starbound.

Think about it: A system that brought together a community that logs countless hours 'playing' by fighting (pvp) in a controlled arena (the thread).

This is genius, guys I'm actually doing well in an MMO environment!

I wonder what end-game is...

9. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Sandwich Man

Death. As is the end-game for us all.

10. Wulpher

And now I'm sad.

totallybob, Skarn and sammanzhi like this.
  11. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Um, I thought the reason for this thread was to keep from having numerous similar discussions all over the place on the topic of 'beta'. Pretty sure I heard that as the rationalisation for it, and I remember thinking that it was a pretty sound one. Topics usually get merged or locked when there is more than one active one on the same subject. Since the beta is a hot topic, this thread and the instruction in the title is an attempt to prevent those other threads from occurring in the first place.

As for the issues, what makes you think that they haven't been heard, or that CF is in denial about them?

12. PlayMp1

PlayMp1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pet peeve: so far as I know, "lag" refers to latency problems. High ping, dropped packets, so on. It could be that hosting a listen server across an ocean (Leth being American and Bartwe being Dutch) would generate some latency problems!

"Lag," in my opinion, does not and should not refer to performance problems. Call them performance issues, bad framerate, stuttering, whatever, but don't call 'em lag. If Leth was referring to lag, he could have easily been talking about latency, since they were hosting a listen server across a goddamn ocean.

Cowboypunker and Hazmat like this.
  13. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

what you don't realize is were already dead and this is limbo :laugh:. join the party we have Hawaiian t-shirts and drinks with umbrellas.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. BrakSampson

BrakSampson Big Damn Hero

Development Purgatory.

15. Snowfalcon

Snowfalcon Big Damn Hero

Is silence not taken as an admission of guilt?

Cowboypunker and Pingeh like this.
  16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Not really. That logic is horribly flawed

PlayMp1 and DrPhibes like this.
  17. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

no i'm afraid your logic is
    in a court of law, yes it is. in this forum like everything it's debatable :rolleyes:.

18. BrakSampson

BrakSampson Big Damn Hero

If this entire webspace was instead devoted to two monkeys, we would argue over our opinions about the monkeys.

Skarn, Cowboypunker, Hazmat and 2 others like this.
  19. Snowfalcon

Snowfalcon Big Damn Hero

How so?
    Seems to have worked for at least 25 years.

20. Hazmat

Hazmat Weight of the Sky

BrakSampson and OzzytheFist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.