Best Starting Approach?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BudGood, Jun 2, 2016.

1. BudGood

BudGood Seal Broken

Hello,

I've put in just a few hours so far, and i'd like to get some feedback on what everyone thinks is the best method for making money when starting a new game.

so far i've started with foraging while waiting for crops to grow.. not making much money doing this as good selling crops seem to take forever to grow, and foraging seems to have very little money making value vs the time it takes to explore the map for the items. I have also not even attempted crafting/cooking yet as i don't have any saved farmables due to selling after harvest for upgrading tools.

maybe i'm not planting enough seeds? i usually just plant enough where 1 full watering can does the job for the day.

Feedback please?

• bozirra

bozirra Aquatic Astronaut

I found its exponential growth, the more money you have the more you can make, as you progress you will unlock sprinklers etc that will help you spend more time doing other things to get you money etc.. On rainy days I charge through the mines and collect enough resources to keep the sprinklers going then blow money buying from the blacksmith if I want more.

Soon money won't be an issue and your farm will be semi self sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudGood likes this.
      • CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

If you can get to the mines you can sell some of the gyms, quarts, and what not you find there. That'll make you a little bit of money. Otherwise just use what money you have in the beginning to get seeds and plant those and plant close to the little pond so you can fill up your watering can quick.

BudGood likes this.
        • BudGood

BudGood Seal Broken

Alright, thanks for the quick responses :) i'll go hard on the farming on this next new-game i start. thanks guys for being so quick!

CjBeats likes this.
          • bozirra

bozirra Aquatic Astronaut

No problemo! I actually did a run through trying to make a mil in 2 years, for a long time I thought it was impossible, then all of a sudden it wasn't even a challenge anymore, it's just a slow grow thing *badum tish*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudGood likes this.
            • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Look at it this way, aside from buying seeds (and the rare tool upgrade) there is almost no operating cost to your farm-- no taxes, no upkeep costs, zilch. And even seeds can be foraged by cutting weeds. (Mixed seeds yield random seasonal crops at no cost to you!) They're right, it's an exponential growth curve. At first, you make piddly amounts week to week, and then at some point, usually no more than a couple of seasons in, you're raking in more than you'll ever spend.

My advice? Relax, take time to watch the fireflies in the Summer, fish off the docks, and find wild mushrooms in the woods. Go to the Stardrop every Friday and buy a round of drinks for the house. The money will come soon enough.

BudGood likes this.
              • unitxeroone

unitxeroone Void-Bound Voyager

I recommend, farming for day 1. fish for day 2 and day 3 until you get 2000 coins. buy the backpack.

then whenever the television says you have a little luck or good fortune, you go to the mines. otherwise you farm and fish.

When you fish, eat the seaweed, green algae, and low cost selling fish to regain energy so you can fish again. fishing gives you "fast income" instead of foraging or waiting for crops. stop fishing once you have alot of ores from mining.

I believe with sprinklers farming gives you the best income. But you need alot of mining to make those sprinkler.

BudGood likes this.
                • Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

sprinklers = win.
                  the more and better you have, the less work you actually need to do thus the more you get done!

BudGood likes this.
                  • MattytheMouse

MattytheMouse Industrial Terraformer

I find that the best thing to do when you're starting out is to fish.

You get your fishing pole by day 2. By then, you can only plant some parsley and spend what little money you have on some additional crops. So, head down to the beach and try to cast out as far as possible! The skill levels up relatively quickly which guarantees more fish, more easily, and there's always the chance you'll fish up seaweed or Joja Cola which gives you more energy which you can use for more fishing!

BudGood likes this.
                    • TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

Spend your first couple of days going all around the map and cutting down the impassable weeds (the things that drop fiber and mixed seeds). Plant all of them, plus as many potato seeds as you can. Spend the rest of your time/energy cutting down trees for wood; once you have 300 spend it to make a bridge on the beach to the coral area. Forage from there frequently for more cash. When cutting down trees, try to cut down each type (oak, maple, pine) evenly; their seeds can be combined for easy beginner food for more energy.

Spend rainy days fishing, lucky days mining. Fishing in the town river will get you the most money when it's raining, IF you are good enough to catch catfish. If you can't manage that, stick to the mountain lake.

BudGood likes this.
                      • MattytheMouse

MattytheMouse Industrial Terraformer

You know, if I've learned one thing from looking over this thread, there's really no right or wrong way to start the game. And really, when you think about it, isn't that kind of the point of the game? You're not moving to the valley to optimize your experience. You're moving to the valley to get away from that!

The best thing I can say is read about how other people's approaches to the game and find what works best for you!

BudGood and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
                        • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

For what it's worth, I suggest building up your farming level, fast. Forage to get rid of rocks and some trees. Get sprinklers, hoe, and plant. Repeat. Once you hit level 4 in Farming skill, things take off, because you can make preserve jars. Build a dozen or more of these, plant an indeterminate (self-replenishing) crop such as blueberries and cranberries at the start of a season, and you've got a real moneymaker. By all means, don't neglect mining, and you may need to buy coal (unless you first get your Foraging level up to 4, and build a charcoal kiln) for a while. But jars can really help you out. The next step up like that is kegs (think: hops).

BudGood likes this.
                          • mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

Imo, fishing. When you have time, go fish.
                            Also go make artisan goods with your harvests: Jar for Veggies and Wine from Fruits.
                            Go mine during winter, and a few times in other season when you want to change pace.

Also berries: OP money makers.

BudGood likes this.
                            • BudGood

BudGood Seal Broken

hrrn.. i'm asking for help starting out, as i stated i already tried on my own first. my own experience i found myself trying to upgrade my tools over anything else, which left me very very poor, and unable to buy farm buildings/backpack/weapons ect. so i do appreciate all the helpful comments. ty everyone :)

Borodin and CjBeats like this.
                              • Hierophant

Hierophant Void-Bound Voyager

Fishing is a hassle, but it's nice in the beginning to get some money while you wait for your crops to grow.

BudGood likes this.
                                • Custard Pudding

Custard Pudding Poptop Tamer

Don't let tool upgrades stress you out. I didn't bother upgrading a single one until my first winter, as that's when you're not using them. You just don't need them that early on.

BudGood likes this.
                                  • BudGood

BudGood Seal Broken

THIS. lol. i was at first until i noticed that when you level up it doesn't take as much energy to use them, i assume that upgrading them had the same effect :)

i think i may have to search around the forums to see what lvl perks every one chooses. some to me are "no brainer" choices but others seem to be a harder choice.

• BudGood

BudGood Seal Broken

i might also add, this forum is MUCH MUCH more helpful than the STEAM forum i had been using previously (a troll haven). Thank You to Everyone who has given me their opinions.

mahoganyrose23 and CjBeats like this.
                                      • NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

For me, I spent all my money on seeds first, then I went fishing. I mostly kept farming, buying more seeds, upgraded my backpack, went fishing, bought more seeds, and so on. On Rainy Days I went to the Mines

BudGood likes this.
                                        • MrsEvilbird

MrsEvilbird Pangalactic Porcupine

I've started out in a lot of different ways.. but mostly i just plant all i got, buy seeds for all the money i have, on first day
                                          start clearing out the farm, mostly grass, stone or wood(good thing about scythe, it doesn't take energy) to make space for more tree growth
                                          so the next days, i water and chop, water and chop
                                          harvest, sell and buy seeds for all the moneys,
                                          start over.
                                          Woop!

Jaed and BudGood like this.