1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Base-ically

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WMoose, Apr 24, 2013.

1. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm trying to decide how and where I'd like to build a home base, and what it will look like.

Setting up camp and building a crazy comically large outpost on the first planet seems cliche.
    Building something ornate and artistic would be fun, but probably unconventional. It could be fun to terraform the landscape to be a giant fishbowl with a castle in the middle, especially with the proper race.

Perhaps a giant robot facade? Big conical structure with a Day of the Tentacle themed exterior?

Definitely doing a Trojan Horse. Also it will be zany fun to create buildings that mirror their worlds. I've always liked the idea of mythic "World Tree", and a jungle style planet would be a great place with correct materials.

What are you going to build?

2. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Everything.

3. Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If they implement foreground blocks I'd build a tree to house my base.
    If not then well a regular old tree house high above the ground and if even that is not an option I guess an underground fortress that has a tunnel spanning the whole planet will have to do.

4. Active Link

Do you mean background blocks? Those are the ones your character can move in front of. Those are being implemented, iirc when you have a block equipped you left click to place in the foreground and right click to place in the background.

5. I'm not good at coming up with large intricate structures. I'm much better at small, cosy, simple yet detailed structures, that vary in design. So while I might help build something big, I'll probably be more likely to make a bunch of small things.

StrantZ likes this.
  6. Active Link

Okay. Honestly, I don't know because I still don't know what all is at my disposal, since I haven't played the game yet.

7. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

Every single block in the game can be placed in the foreground and the background. :)

8. WMoose

StarBound Building Demo

This is Chucklefishes Building Demo to give you an idea of what's in the game and how building occurs. You can find more videos in their media section.

9. Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No, I said foreground blocks.
    Blocks that are placed in front of the character, which fades when the character stands behind it and looks like regular blocks when they are not. It'll be handy for making hiding spots and stuff but I have no idea if they want to implement it or not.

10. Active Link

It is confirmed that there will be nothing in the game that covers the character.

11. Ken_Chihuly

Ken_Chihuly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Posted it somewhere else before and I'll just post it again!
    [​IMG]
    I'll make a ocean-side/underground base!
    [Subject to change]

Shippo and Pinkie Pie like this.
  12. WMoose

That is.. hot.

If the ground generation was generous, you could extend the left underground portion to the left and have a dive pool, water physics allowing.

Ken_Chihuly likes this.
  13. skaree

skaree Astral Cartographer

I like to think that I will find a very small planet off in a distant location that no one will bother to look at for a while so I am able to take the entire planet down to the core, or at least as far down as the hazards will permit. Then I will build, not just a base, but a world.

But then again this might be way too big of a project... at least to accomplish on my own.

14. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

While it is a mystery exactly who, there is one thing very clear... Something so certain, it cannot be denied, or resisted... Someone here.... Somewhere...

Will build a giant, penis shaped igloo on an ice planet. A giant, phallic, frozen, fortress of solitude, so incredibly detailed and convincing that any advanced alien species passing by will simply go "Ugghhh, there is clearly no intelligent life on THIS planet."