1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Base building in oxygen-less enviroments.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Anris, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Anris

Anris Phantasmal Quasar

Okay, so we've all seen vids and images of base building, but they were all done on planets with vegetation and an atmosphere.
    But what about base building on bodies without an atmosphere, or on planets with a toxic atmosphere( since being able to breathe on volcanic worlds would be ridiculous same as living in a wooden house on a atmosphere-less moon).?
    Would said bases have to be made of an insulating material to trap the air in?
    Would you have to build an oxygen generator?

Saxor, Hirumaru, SmoothGuy and 6 others like this.
  2. OnyxTortoise

OnyxTortoise Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's one of the things I'm curious about. How will the game track if there's oxygen inside our moon base? Will there actually be a need for proper airlocks?
    What if we don't build proper airlocks and filtering apparatus? Will the game track the spread of poisonous gases inside of our base?
    Something tells me that this might be one of those things that most probably won't be in the game (I hope I'm wrong).

(actually, could someone ask this on IRC when there will be a chance to do so?)

3. Anris

Anris Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think it would be that hard to code in, just pop up a warning if theres a hole in the base, base loses oxygen, fill the hole, restart the air generator, clean some filters and you should be good to go.

Hirumaru, Kitty Box and Keeper like this.
  4. Shiftyeyesshady

Shiftyeyesshady Space Penguin Leader

I personally plan on Building my bunker on a moon hopefully around a gas giant. Keep it camouflaged and underground with farms and a large water reservoir.

5. CoherentManatee

CoherentManatee Space Penguin Leader

It would be cool if that was the case. I hope it is, it could be something added post-release though, or even modded in - could introduce some interesting mechanics.

6. Some Oxygen Generator (Maybe something self-sufficient: plant-based) + Vents to circulate the air + Make sure everything is secured = would be interesting, I believe. ^^

7. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

Would be nice for this to be implemented, but it is likely it would need at least TWO new engines, or , to be more precise, one new and one upgraded.
    First of all, speaking about gases we should implement pressure engine, that would simulate areas with different pressures, depending on gravity, gas type, machinery in work and so on.
    Secondly, liquid engine should be upgraded for work with gases. Gases\liquids should be differentiated by density to simulate layered atmospheres and mixing mechanics should be implemented for both liquids an gases.

8. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

And not only base building,survival and so on...how this will even work on character?

9. Leokins

Leokins Subatomic Cosmonaut

There's a picture someone posted of a base on a moon. The person wasn't wearing a suit, and they were on an obviously oxygen-less area. Can someone find it? :laugh:

10. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

All ive currently found was those pictures,altrough the characters look like theyre in Oxygen less area,with suits

They have suits,i didnt currently found any plus you have to keep on mind that game was in really early alpha that day,there could not be any suits..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Leokins

[​IMG]

Moon. :eek:

Hirumaru and SmoothGuy like this.
  12. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

I think the simplest way to handle this would just be to make any indoor area breathable automatically. It's obviously not very realistic but it works well from a gameplay perspective. I wouldn't say no to the game requiring technology to generate an atmosphere though. If the game required airlocks though...that could get fairly complex and it's hard to say if that would add or detract from the game.

Rolf, Anris, Hirumaru and 3 others like this.
  13. Leokins

Ever play Faster Than Light? It doesn't look too complex, the way oxygen works on it. :laugh:

Anris likes this.
  14. Aerliss

Aerliss Big Damn Hero

Scaling a little closer towards realistic/challenging, but keeping away from overly complicated, they could have it so that any enclosed space would generate breathable air over time if it had any comfort objects in it. This makes it quite simple to make any shape of home have air, as well as retains the realism of 'leaving the doors open = suffocating', without people having to go to great lengths to live in strange and wondrous lands.

I was thinking faster than light as well, haha. The way FTL handles airflow, the larger a structure's size, the slower it would go down in oxygen with the doors held open. I suppose then, that air could be calculated like an invisible liquid that filled up in a house over time, and drained out the background when the doors opened just like water does.

15. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Sounds engine intensive... and more work than it would be worth. :unsure:

16. NIN3

NIN3 Pangalactic Porcupine

If done right it shouldent be to engine intensive. I mean, take all the tiles inside the volume of your base, count that as a total of air some where. Then say "You lose X volume out this kind of door per second" And thus take from x air out of your building every second. MAGIC #soundedgreatonpaper

17. DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes. I was very curious about this. Since I have an airlock design I have in mind for an underwater base, which can be tweaked a bit to work for a dry airlock on a moon.

Since you have to wear a suit on planets without atmospheres I was really wondering if you had to wear that suit inside. I think they already have an engine in place that can differentiate inside and outside, since they have the freezing planets and somewhere they mentioned that you need to keep warm by keeping indoors or by fires. It may be the same deal. I really hope that I don't have to wear my space suit ALL the time on a oxygen-less environment, because that would make building a base on the moon kinda annoying. :rofl: But either way.

18. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

What about if you create and oxygen enclosed base but you accidentally chip off a block into space, does the air rush out? Do you need to have the R2-D2 unit fix the hole? Does the base get sucked into a black hole along with the game, your computer and your life???

19. Accurs3D

Accurs3D Void-Bound Voyager

Ever play the roguelike indie game FTL? It has some decent spaceship/space station mechanics, like vent the atmo in rooms on fire to kill the fires.

20. Leokins

I just mentioned it.. :facepalm: