1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

This is freaking cute!! I am mildly jealous that your mod gets to be a top file and mine isn't. >.> But still, great work, I really like it. :)

2. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Ok so please excuse the semi-bad sketch but these were pretty much the 4 things that came to mind as far as vanity.[​IMG]

3. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There are a number of hats that are already in the game that seem to work well with the Avali, such as this one:
    avali1.jpg

I haven't tested many of the hats yet, but it's cool that at least some of them work. :)

4. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

Completely forgot about that one. I knew there was a monocle and the scientist glasses but they didn't seem to fit the face right when I tested those. Ah well. I hope the ideas weren't to far-fetched atleast.

5. legoracer

Not really sure how well a turtle-neck sweater would work for an Avali, but here's a work-in-progress:
    avali_shirt1.jpg

6. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

It looks nice. Actually I wasn't even thinking full sleeve because I felt like it would conflict with the wings on the arms but, that came out better than expected.

7. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

hmm, i have no sprite or coding skill really, but i wanna help, so if i would be allowed to i would love to help with the story writing, i have made a few ones before. (like this one http://www.wattpad.com/30434836-framed-death-yogscast-fan-fic) and if you would allowit.iwould be more than willing to help. though i will understand if you dont want help on that. just thought it would speed up the process. all i would need is a basic guideline, that you could pm me if you want the extra help.

8. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Just a little update for folks.

Been out most of today with family so naturally the mod didn't see much progress today. Over last couple days I've been fine tuning the forearm movements as they were always a little imprecise, but requires higher precision for the clothing to work correctly. I've also been developing new techniques for animating and drawing clothes efficiently - bearing in mind I actually have little to no sprite art experience prior to starting the mod, and I've had good results with that. So, no update today either, I've pretty much finished the wrap robe, tommorow I'll be able to churn out a tonne more clothing related stuff with what I've learned and should see a patch tommorow night.

In addition to clothing related stuff, expect to see in the next patch:

Major palette overhaul*
    Contrast normalised with Starbound stock colours
    5 new 'natural' tones
    Removed 'artifical' feather dyes from fluff option
    8+ New plumage options

Avali villager spawners*
    * Requires a new character

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    legoracer likes this.
  9. Levrix

Levrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Really cool man! Looking forward to seeing this mod progress almost as much as the actual game. Keep up the amazing work!

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Here's a little screeny showing the importance of planning and developing the techniques :p

[​IMG]

Because of their feathers, their cultural clothes typically have a lot of loose-fitting materials, like wraps, ponchos, skirts. Rather than nice neat, segmented gear like pauldrons and plating, or tight-fitted clothing that can be depicted largely by tracing over the core body. So I needed to develop techniques and workflow for creating flowing, moving clothing sprites, without them becoming overly time consuming.

Incidentally, the clothing is colourable

The bandana makes them look super cute, the hobo-cardboard box hat fits too <.<

Levrix likes this.
  11. Levrix

Levrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice modeling, The outfit looks fantastic.

12. legoracer

The reason I added the full sleeve was because I felt that the turtleneck would look weird without it. I'm still not really satisfied with it, so I may remove the sleeve anyway.

Another reason why I'm thinking a turtleneck sweater may not work for an Avali. That being the case, it doesn't seem like there would be many options for vanity items besides hats.

edit: By the way, I had an idea to create a chicken suit for the Avali. Should I give that a go or is the idea kinda "meh"?

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Well, the core game has some pretty wild options; rainbow cloaks, ballerina's dresses, wedding gowns, hobo boxes; in addition to more sensible offerings. So whether something doesn't really seem like it should work doesn't need to be grounds to throwing out the idea if that's what you guys want and want to go ahead and make.

I'm not telling you guys to "go out and make stuff for the mod", I was just letting people know that if they wanted to and had ideas in mind, then it'd be useful for padding out the vanity options and would go in as part of the core mod files.

14. KuroErin

KuroErin Star Wrangler

was still impressed on how it looked either way.
    Also a chicken suit would be kind of funny.

15. Karmel

Karmel Void-Bound Voyager

you seem to be rather good this~ when you finish this up would you be perhaps up for some commission work for small scale race mod?

16. VIcariousViking

VIcariousViking Void-Bound Voyager

Hey Ryuujin! Very unique race mod you have here. :)

I featured it in my most recent episode of Starbound Mod Outpost. I am just now seeing that you have an update coming out for it, lol. Shoulda waited. :p Those clothing additions look like they're going to be nice. Keep up the stellar work! Here's my vid for any and all who are interested!

Cheers!

17. legoracer

Yeah, I know. It's just a personal preference thing for me. It tends to distract me if, for example, a winged creature has a sleeve that goes down to the wrist when you can clearly see feathers along the side of the arm where realistically they would be forced inside that sleeve. It makes me stop and go, "Huh? That doesn't look right..." because I tend to be logical like that. But that's just me. :p

I'll probably keep the sleeve on the turtleneck because otherwise it's a little difficult to tell that it's a shirt and not just black feathers.

edit: Here's what I have so far for the chicken suit:
    avali_chicken.jpg

edit 2: Added the legs. Should I keep the new, larger comb or go back to the smaller one?
    avali_chicken2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  18. Nalkari

Nalkari Void-Bound Voyager

Lol thats so cute xD
    You can make a set out of this^^

19. legoracer

That's the idea. ;)

20. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Just a preview of the first 2 racial outfits, coming in next update (Still being fine tuned, might not look EXACTLY like this)
    [​IMG]

Wearring all 3 pieces of chimed gear does make you look like a christmas tree, but you could, you know... mix your clothing pieces... or not

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for the coverage ^^ - the trouble is that the mod is moving forward at a very fast pace and the videos people upload become outdated very fast, like by tonight we'll have clothes and a vastly different range of colour options, so if people view the videos, they don't actually get an overview of the mods content as it now stands (like your commentary about the "shirt and pants buttons doing nothing on creation" and "only a few plumage styles" will only remain true for about, 10 more hours :p ).

It could end up turning off users if they see the limited range of options in older patches being presented as an official overview of the current mod.

Lol xD - I like the larger crest, have you thought about adding a yellow "beak" visor to the head?

"When i finish this up" could be months away :p

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    KuroErin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.