1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

BTW just a heads up to folks, this next update will probably look at adding some of the missing props and adding some fun vanity gear (Now i have a good handle on how to best use the vanity resources), and the weapon upgrade overhaul will be handled in earnest in the following update.

J_Mourne, Zenithcore and Kn4ck3br0d37 like this.
  2. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

awesome

3. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

Is it weird that I felt somewhat gleeful upon seeing the "Fixed perfectly generic items appearing in music vendor list" entry in the update log? Like, eeee, I helped with that! Maybe it's just me being silly.

Eh well. Looks like the update hit right after I went to bed, so... time to git'r installed and have a play about :D

4. ProkhorVLG

ProkhorVLG Existential Complex

Not at all

5. Arcalane

Arcalane Pangalactic Porcupine

Sidenote, minor errors:

Code:
    Error: Could not load /items/armors/avali/avali-armor4/mask.png asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: No such asset '/items/armors/avali/avali-armor4/mask.png'
    --

Code:
    Error: Could not load /recipes/crafting/loom/a clothes/headgear/avalihat1.recipe asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: Could not read variant asset /recipes/crafting/loom/a clothes/headgear/avalihat1.recipe

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Ah whoops. meant to fix that before putting it out. it's not a major issue, just spams the error log burying legit errors.

7. Sparrows

Also, can confirm an earlier post, there appears to be a naming issue with the tier 1 broadsword: while everything else seems to have its proper name, that sword is showing up as "The Carver XL", the Avian broadsword. As this is a new character and I've yet to initiate Operation Transfer All My Junk, unsure if this problem also affects higher tiers.

Time to poke about in the files and see if it's something I can fix myself, here's hoping I don't break anything...

EDIT: I could fix it, but I've no idea what the actual description/name should be, so I can't actually do anything about it. Oh well.

8. OssomSagax

OssomSagax Cosmic Narwhal

So...heres my preference for the dropship; hint, i changed the cockpit
    [​IMG]
    I put up one of several displays depending on what i'm doing at the time, for RPs sake :D

Dis_conected likes this.
  9. OssomSagax

OssomSagax Cosmic Narwhal

Not very silly...imagine the Areogel arrow/arrow head shattering/splintering into you on impact, nasty way to die!

10. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

This is also true of an aerogel based bullet, though. :p

11. ProkhorVLG

I'm surprised that the Avali haven't banned the aerotech blades considering they are a really cruel method of weaponry.

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Oops sorry i missed this post:

#1 Oops, forgot to migrate the sounds before release. Thanks for pointing that out

#2 Mixture of time constraints/satisfactory design/fitting with avali theme. Axes are currently the red-headed stepchild of melee weapons. They have a shorter reach than a spear, but do less damage than a hammer. There's really no reason to use one besides roleplay, and even then, axes don't really fit avali RP wise.

#3 We'll see ;)

#4 They're naturally high pitched anyway by our standards. They no doubt use the full range, humans afterall sing across the full spectrum of sound (from deep opera singers, to the ball-squeezingly squeaky beegees)

#5 "Why bring a bow to a gunfight" (There's really no good justification for using bows to hunt. Humans don't hunt with bows anymore outside of a few isolated tribal villages. But Avali are NOT "primitive tribals", they have their own guns. Hell, their gun technolgoy is better than the gun technology wielded by humans in starbound, there's no sense in them using a bow, even a high-tech bow. Traditionalist hunters use spear/lances when they want to show off

On meat chunks: Meat chunks are made by over-cooking regular meat. Put cooked meat on the campfire and it becomes meat chunks

Calabrese likes this.
  13. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

The Avali seem pretty pragmatic, I'm not sure how much they care. 'sides, it works, doesn't it?

Calabrese likes this.
  14. ProkhorVLG

I was just thinking that considering they have strong feelings about cloning, and taking away the clones life; they might have a sense of morality. But I guess the two are generally unrelated.

15. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Found a few problems with some of the vanity gear:
    • avali-armor3 "Combat Armour" has black patches between the legs on running frame 5 and swimming frame 4 (last frame)
    • avali-armor2 "Scout's Armour" has the same black patch on running frame 5

Something else I noticed/realized is that the male and female species icons for the character creation screen are a bit dated. (Probably low priority for now though.)

Marxon likes this.
  16. Kn4ck3br0d37

Kn4ck3br0d37 Big Damn Hero

Ahh I see. Yeah my thoughts were more towoards the "For the art of the hunt" but since you mention traditional hunting = spears then there is no reason for bows. And yeah for warfare, just plain impractical. High pitched singers eh? If I knew how to make ABC instruments I'd make a video of some Avali singing the opera from FF6.

Mind blown. I never knew about this!

Thanks for the answers Ryu, always fun to throw around ideas. Once again, great patch.

Keep up the good work, and don't forget to enjoy the fruits of your work either.

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Humans have some very odd thoughts about warfare.

*Graphic descriptions follow*
    Take for example Syria. We've made a big song and dance about having them get rid of their chemical weapons stockpiles... yet they're casually dropping thermobaric and ballistic weapons on civilians, and, apparently this is ok?

A thermobaric weapon (such as a barrel bomb/daisy cutters) creates a shockwave that will pulverise buildings, and rupture your hollow internal organs (intestines, eyeballs, lungs), leaving you to bleed out internally in intense agony/suffocate in your own bodily fluids. A bullet, used optimally, works by tunneling a hole through your body, and typically drawing a large pocket of air in behind it and rupturing organs. Yet because Western armies rely heavily on thermobaric weaponry (Such as hellfire class air to surface missiles), fragmentation munitions etc, we don't criticise their usage.

There's nothing "nice" about conventional weaponry. It's very strange that we get hung up on killing people in 'certain ways' but not others, when really the whole concept is morally reprehensible.

18. Sparrows

Just got a set of Terrifying Wings to drop while exploring the planet I spawned on (and then got a crown off the Glitch King a little further to the right, but that's not in this screenshot) and I can't help but feel they're a touch redundant when worn by an Avali... On the other hand, since I accidentally seem to have made a red+blue colour scheme on this character, they kinda match. In my defense, when I made this character last night the armor couldn't be dyed so I had no idea what colour I'd made this stuff at character creation.

Also, how the heck do I put things into spoilers? I must be blind, 'cause I don't see a button for that when making a post. I did it! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  19. Oraiu

Oraiu Cosmic Narwhal

I think it should be [/spoiler]

20. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Grr... downloaded and installed the update but now my red cloak and black trench coat are desert colored now. Clashes with the black bandit mask I had. *grumble grumble*

Time to get the dye mod I guess...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.