1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Another reason to be interested in this Oracle cult.

2. Whitlinger Doodle Do

Whitlinger Doodle Do Pangalactic Porcupine

Eh, I prefer to grow my bodies around my brains.

Shard of Sorrow likes this.
  3. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I mean most people that do die do so for other reasons. You aren't likely to come into contact with explosions on a regular basis, and even then that's suspect. Imagine your skull basically being turned into an airplane black box, but the budget on building it is increased thirty-fold and you have much much stronger materials to build it.

4. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

That first sounded like you have more than 1 brain and tiny little people grew on them.

5. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

All this talk about ethics. There is one flaw though. There are people out there like me, who follow our own ethics, regardless of what society thinks. Part of my code of ethics is that sometimes, the few must be sacrificed for the many. If cloning allowed me to continue with my mission, whatever it was, then a sacrifice would be made. I wouldn't enjoy doing it, but my point is ethics is a subjective thing. What's good to one person may be an atrocity to another.

OmegaMinion and Marxon like this.
  6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

As i pointed out, if society is ok with people dying and cloning themselves. it's a slippery slope - there's no good reason for just making 1 copy at a time, so you may as well get your best, willing soldier, and make a whole army of clones. In fact the very "sanctity of life" gets a bit muddy and makes you wonder if society would really value life that much, might they not go on a war footing with their endless army of clone soldiers and try conquer the galaxy?

While it's an interesting question, I'm not sure it's one we want or can answer in the scope of the Avali

Shard of Sorrow and J_Mourne like this.
  7. 0deneb0

Indeed. My point was when you get down to it, something being illegal won't stop people from doing it. I don't really think I need to give a specific example on this one(think of a any crime. Boom, example right there) And in the long run, society is an ever changing thing. What's evil today might not be tomorrow. Very few things are set in stone in the universe, most everything else is written in water, subject to change over time.

8. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Ok new topic... what about...
    I got nothing.

9. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Weight of the Sky

Topic change, go!

I wrote a short story involving the Avali recently, and made some assumptions and inventions while doing so. Does everything check out, or should I go back and revise?

Questions

1] Assumption: the Avali military has a formal chain of command. I assume that this command chain is based on the pack, but in this story the commander is the alpha of the command pack, and thus provides a briefing.

2] Invention: the Ranger Corps. I imagine them to be a small corps within the Avali military, more or less equivalent to the U.S. Marine Corps. They would provide first response to a wide variety of military situations, but not be equipped for full-fledged war against a fully mobilized enemy military.

3] Assumption: Avali military service is voluntary, or at least service in their special forces is.

4] Assumption: the Avali military have some degree of military formality (standing to attention, corps mottos, etc.). This strikes me as the most improbable assumption I made, but it helped the story flow well.

5] Invention: isolation training (survival training where a pack is separated from each other for long-ish periods of time). This seemed a sensible precaution for the Avali military to take, especially a slightly elite corps like the Rangers. (Since Human military training spends so much time getting people to work as a squad, I figured it would make sense for Avali military training to spend a lot of time getting its squads to be able to function as individuals).

Dolphinowl245 likes this.
  10. 0deneb0

Funny enough, I actually have a list of things that I haven't seen brought up that could be good topics. Here's one: Avali are pack creature, so is there such a thing as love on an individual level

Dolphinowl245 likes this.
  11. Dolphinowl245

Dolphinowl245 Pangalactic Porcupine

That is a good one. Hmmm y would you marrie your sister?

12. 0deneb0

Not inside of the pack. I meant one member of a pack loving a member of another pack.

13. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I'd imagine it would be quite different from pack animals on Earth, everything here is conflict driven and there's a fair bit of pack infighting to decide who's the leader. I'd assume though it would be at least a little like a mormon family, depending on gender composition. By the way gender composition of packs would be interesting enough on it's own. Do Avali necessarily always only mate with those in their pack? Because that would probably require a fairly even ratio of the genders which I doubt there would be in all cases.
    They aren't blood relatives, not always at least.

14. J_Mourne

I don't remember where I saw it, but I think the official stance is that while a few Avali mate for life, most mate more casually than humans. That would imply to me that mating only within the pack is not much of a concern, though it could happen.

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

While i have not set anything in stone, it's interesting to remember that avali evolved from hunters. It's plausible their military similarly evolved from a loose hunting coalition structure, rather than formalised military with rank and file.

Much of the military organisation and drilling serves to break squishy scavenger/omnivore humans, and to make them kill on demand. Avali presumably have rather less qualms about killing things being true carnivores. Secondly, the rank hierarchy in Western armies is seen as essential; yet some armies - such as Iran's Republican Guard, do not adhere to (and actually make it a point of pride) that they have no rank hierarchy, but more of a merit hierarchy. Which historically made them remarkably effective guerrilla combatants - able to operate even when supply and communications are cut off (and remember, Avali military doctrine is modeled on guerrilla strategy)

Calabrese likes this.
  16. Mikhaos

Mikhaos Pangalactic Porcupine

How big can a pack get anyway, is it just members of family/ friends or does the level of organization extend up to tiers of government positions along with said family/ friends?

17. Dolphinowl245

Dolphinowl245 Pangalactic Porcupine

Aaahhhh.

18. J_Mourne

Alright. So I need to think less military camp, and more... combat school?

19. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I'm already sold on the mod, why do you have to keep pointing out the good bits?

20. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

because if he didn't, somebody might forget to appreciate them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.