1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Pack hunting turkeys!

It's also part the reason they look so cutesy, they were intended to be rather smaller in dimensions. Part the reason for that choice was to illustrate that size and intelligence are only proportionally related. So many sci-fi's have this idea that intelligent races are going to be roughly human size and shape, there's really no precedent to expect that to be the case at all. It also underlines why working as a team as important so they have some extra hands for heavy lifting

0deneb0 likes this.
  3. Whitlinger Doodle Do

Whitlinger Doodle Do Pangalactic Porcupine

Though, it is really tough to cram a human equivalent intelligence into the size of say, a mouse.

Definitely not likely with neurons though, maybe some variety of computronium... Maybe it might be done with something like the lambertians in Permutation City, but even then, it seems unlikely.

4. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

And Starbound is one of them.
    Once again, shameful waste of potential.
    I think Avali aren't that small. And I do think sentient but completely useless, tiny critters can exist.
    *braces for knowledge*

5. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that that's a bit hyperbolic.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with a space opera setting. Starbound manages to create an engaging and amusing universe regardless of how it handles realism.

6. Whitlinger Doodle Do

Whitlinger Doodle Do Pangalactic Porcupine

The scale indicates about half the size of a human being.
    I was talking about the sheer density of computation that I can imagine existing in a lifeform (I don't like the idea of sentient mice, at least ones that are actually the size of mice).

True. I like space opera in between my near-singularity fiction readings. Also Starbound is just funny.

7. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Just trying to be less of a bother to you, keyword: trying.

Also I just found it hard to believe madtulips mod snuck in a proper avali patch without me hearing about it, odd.

8. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

I am not talking about realism. There could have been so many interesting races I cannot even think of.
    Unfortunately, all we get are humans wearing animal masks.
    Evolution finds a way! You could have sentient mice-sized things with the attention span of a rock, or the problem solving abilities of a nuclear missile. They would still be capable of understanding the concept of materials and tools though. Possibly.
    *braces for knowledge more*

9. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Again, you're being hyperbolic.

There's nothing wrong with space opera. Starbound keeps it simple and it works.

Like I've said here before, the focus is on the societies over the biology or technology.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Don't forget the nose ridges!

Battle Bee likes this.
  11. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

I am always hyperbolic! I was drowned in a pool of liquid hyperbolism when I was a kid!
    Jokes aside, that's the thing I don't like about the current Starbound races. Society is one of my least interests, but I am extremely interested in biology.
    I guess that's why I never played as anything other than a Novakid, a human and an Avali.

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  12. Silavor

Silavor Pangalactic Porcupine

Take a look at the passerine birds some time, particularly the corvids. They may not be quite as small as a mouse, but they're certainly smarter than a lot of humans I've met.

OmegaMinion, Icebelly and 0deneb0 like this.
  13. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Maybe that's the secret to the spark the Avali have, Ryuujin has made a race that goes against a lot of the norms in starbound, and with strong will and determination (plus a knack for drawing pixelated art) he MADE IT WORK anyways.

J_Mourne likes this.
  14. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

Know what we need... some laughter out of the random

:yeahhhh: D::cautious:

15. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Jeez, between keeping up with this thread, work, and sleep I barely have any time to actually play the game. That aside, time for my question of the day. Did Avali society ever get to a point where they had mythological legends and such? Or did the other race hyper speed their development before they got to that point?

16. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Weight of the Sky

...that's me.

Every ******* time.

17. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

when I saw it I cracked up so hard... took me a few minutes to stop laughing. I thought it would be good for the people in the thread to have a laugh for once even if it was a bit off topic.

18. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Probably. They were spiritual according to a post Ryuu make a while back. The every living thing has a spirit type. Like shinto I think.

If they didn't have some legends and myths than I would be very surprised. How many are treated seriously today is another question but I'm sure they exist.

19. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

So here is my "attempt" at an Avali structure. I'm still on tech level 1, so everything that isn't nanocanvas based is scavenged from small Avali structures, which might I add there were three of on this small planet.
    First Avali house.png
    Tips, comments, and smart remarks are welcome. I suck at building anything other than underground bases.

Shard of Sorrow likes this.
  20. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

that is actually rather well built. I cannot find much wrong with it aside from it not having tent supports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.