1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainbowShy

RainbowShy Pangalactic Porcupine

in that screenshot I'm wearing mismatched pieces of it

2. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

I found it funny

3. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think he means armor from other races, not other armor from the same race.

To answer the question, it looks strange. The avali aren't meant to be compatible (visually, at least) with armor from other races, and the fact that a few hats/helmets happen to work is just a happy coincidence. You do get some "invisible" clothing in your ship's storage when you create a new avali character so you can still use other race's armor without having to see it.

4. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Gets my vote for most original race.

5. NexusTheDark

NexusTheDark Void-Bound Voyager

Well I seem to be the only person in existance with this error buuuut...

The avali race causes an infinite laoding bug for me. I have starbounds msot current version and the character creation extender and other race mods work just fine. Even if I remove every single mod besides the Avali and char creator extender, I still fall intot he loading infinity hole.

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Attach your starbound.log file and let's have a look see what's going wrong ^ ^

7. NexusTheDark

Aha, looking through the log I think I found it, theres a conflict with avali starter treasure and their treasure pools. Specifically a duplication error.

Attached Files:

8. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It seems to think there's two copies of the treasurepool. Might you have accidentlly unzipped two copies of the avali mod into either your /mod/ or /assets/ folders?

9. NexusTheDark

Aha, it seems like the version I downloaded had a second avali folder inside the mods folder. Might be an issue with trhe download itself or jsut my own derp. Thank you, going to test it now.

-Edit- Tested after removing the second folder, works perfectly. Thank you very much ^_^

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

[​IMG]

Early mockup working out how to make good looking encampments. Don't worry these are literally 20-second sprites testing the ideas, getting a feel for scale (I need make the tents much taller) and finding ways to piece stuff together..

My plan is to have a mixture of pre-fabricated tents that look very unique and distinctive, and modular parts that can be pieced together to create larger tents with interior space and walls, that are still distinctly "tents" (albeit with a high-technology spin). Obviously, starbounds block system is extremely angular, and no good for natural looking flowing surfaces, so I'll be using a mixture of blocks and objects that together can create more organic looking interiors.

You can also see a prototype for the tier 5 armour there.

Be a few days before the next major update, lots of new stuff going in this time (Not withstanding a mini patch for updating to Furious Koala, or whatever patch is due in a day or two)

11. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

The tents on the right and left look too detailed to be starboundy

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

[​IMG]

I think this'll be the final template I'm going to work with. I was studying the tents used by various real life nomads, and they tend to build their tents out of many layers of sheets and panels. It's likely the sheets will have different colours/textures so it looks like an assortment rather than all made as a single set.

The orange boxes indicate the outline of static objects (Which provide the irregular forms), which sync up perfectly with conventional tiles for the background (dark grey), while the red outlines mark the "usable" areas of the image (places where furniture and additional decoration could be placed). Then I'll be able to make all kinds of different shape and size tents, from the same few pieces

In terms of decor it'll be super high-tech, holographic displays where you might expect tapestries, electrical stoves, plasma "campfires", portable fusion generators, electronic devices - and of course portable containers and crates. Basiclly, everything you'd expect in a modern home, made super portable (easy given the avali tech level, and using holograms rather than solid monitors)... of course, I'm sure there'll be naysayers, who'll look at the diagonal lines and sleek forms, and say "hey, this doesn't fit in with starbound's right angles", to which I say "bite me" :p - making game engines do what they wern't designed for is my favourite part of modding, much like they said you couldn't make a digitigrade player character

Highlighted for emphasis <.<

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Ender Shadow, Garan, Kawa and 2 others like this.
  13. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like it. :)

14. Starhowl

Starhowl Phantasmal Quasar

Color me hyped. ♥

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

In-game prototype. Again, this is not the ACTUAL finished sprites, but these represent actual components. (The first in game shot was testing if the concept is even possible. Then you saw the concept art working out the finer points and possible styles, and now this is a working implementation, with placeholder art assets til i polish it up visually)

[​IMG]

I'd say that went well... seems like the shallower angled panels look best

In case you'e wondering, yes the collision physics works, the roof and walls provides a solid surface that stops rain/light/can be walked on, but at the same time the entrance areas can be passed through and furniture added inside

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Starhowl and Kawa like this.
  16. Starhowl

Starhowl Phantasmal Quasar

You work remarkably fast. And with such quality, too! It's a remarkable thing to behold for a simple placeholder :) I think they'll fit right into the universe.

Fullapple1991 likes this.
  17. pumpkin1887

pumpkin1887 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok well i know i have ran into this problem before but only with one mod in mind.......

in other words what mods do you have?

18. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

Congrats on being top 3 in the modlist

19. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Thanks... I'm completely flummoxed as to how the mod has managed to rank so well :x - I mean, when I started out, I was positive that it was barely going to get a handful of users. Afterall, this is an original race competing against the likes of catgirls, anime characters and My Little Pony (Which say what you will about it, is more popular than Jesus, and the ponybond mod is very well executed).

I'm amazed it even made the top 10 race mods, let alone top 3 across all catagories.

20. nubnubbud

nubnubbud Pangalactic Porcupine

played a little with the player file, found a way to make a character get cold at higher temps, warm at lower temps, and made the freeze overlay red.

now all you'd need is to find a way to have it use a separate player file for your species, or somehow merge in a second copy of the player file, with only the avali tag.

if you're wondering, this is the code I modified in the player file.

Code:
      // 50mins @ 5C = 15000sec/1C
      "warmthTransferRate" : 1000.0,
      "warmthTransferRateCap" : 1000.0,
      "comfortRegen" : 2.0,
      "bodyTemperatureRangeLow" : [15, -150],
      "windChillFactor" : 10,
      "idealTemperature" : -15,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.