1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GROVER CURES HOUSES

GROVER CURES HOUSES Void-Bound Voyager

I dunno, I got the vast majority of the mod more or less functional with zero prior modding experience and never playing any Koala release. Most of the changes between versions were straightforward enough that they could be automated.

2. Shadow Gamer

Shadow Gamer Void-Bound Voyager

So it has gotten to the point of the community porting it now? I'm just glad that the mod is coming back and that Ryu finally gets a break from all of this madness.

3. Reginleif

Reginleif Guest

Its sad.
    I understand your reasons tho.... :(

4. Alex Magnei

Alex Magnei Aquatic Astronaut

Hey Ryuujin, if you're going to move the Avali to another game I'd like to suggest Star Wars Battlefront, if you can handle modding a game into that! Just an idea~

Reginleif likes this.
  5. GROVER CURES HOUSES

GROVER CURES HOUSES Void-Bound Voyager

That's a funny way of spelling Halflife 3

Mrmii21, Intrebute and myomi13 like this.
  6. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Eh, try out Cortex Command first, it's still 2D. Seems like it'll work out great, and you could port most of the sprites real fast.

7. myomi13

myomi13 Pangalactic Porcupine

@RyuujinZERO If your looking for suggestions I'd at least keep an eye on a 2d game called Crea. It's not much to look at now cause its even more beta/alpha than Starbound, but its a very sandboxy game specifically designed to be modded. Hopefully when it's full monty it'll be a good platform for a lotta people with cool pre-realized concepts. Honestly the Avali are so fully developed that they need to be a part of a actual game.Spore was such a unique game it's hard to find a game that holds a similar amount of character. You should definitely try to find some indie game dev friends and work on creating the Avali their own platform. I'm serious. This could be the start of a game rivaling Mass Effect.

8. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

For all the people suggesting 2D; nope nope NOPE. 2D is the single biggest reason why Starbound isn't suitable IMO. Starbound was already cutting it close on that reason but sicne it claimed to have tech trees, research and development, space exploration and space combat, I figured it might have enough other features to compensate.

However, since it doesn't have any of THAT either now because they changed their minds...

9. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

Great to hear from Ryuu again, nice to know what's going on, and I hope that you find a good platform to implement your ideas. And we thank you for what you have given us.

Best of luck finding a medium to convey your ideas.

10. myomi13

At least now I know I'm not the only bothered by what feels like a step back in ways. Quests are cool,but there's barely any real vanilla motives. and the whole thing feels more like a 2d social game.There's no challege if there's no real threat(No starving,freezing,suffocation). I"m so confused who thought removing all survival elements was a good idea. Hunger needed work, but like everything's gone now. I missed avali tacos the most, but now I don't need them and I have to wait 3 minutes between each taco anyways.:(

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

While I agree that the survival mechanics need fleshing out in Upbeat Giraffe, (in the Koalas) hunger and freezing were never challenges and suffocation wasn't a threat once you equipped the Survival System. Hunger was more of an anti-AFK mechanic, that punished you for not responding to an egg timer, and temperature was easily ignored when you started making tiered armor sets.

Unless I missed someone providing an updated version already, I can easily make Avali tacos give "WellFed" for far less than 3 minutes...

12. myomi13

It depends how you played really.

I already said hunger was messed up, but I purposely mixed my gear up so a campfire and a lot of heat sources were a a necessity this also could've been a golden opportunity to make food more important. You still had to collect and craft to get the survival system which is an element of survival on its own. I guess my complaint is that running errands for random folks takes all the survivor sensibility out of it. As opposed to braving the elements and fighting and learning to get anywhere you basically get help from a bunch npcs with nice things. There's no sense of I can breathe underwater because I collected materials to craft a scuba set, but i better be careful because it's not as good as regular armor, or this scuba set will help me breathe underwater,but it's useless for a moon. There's no real prep besides equipping a stupid magic tech and making sure you crafted the current metal-of-the-tier armor. No real earning just handouts for x-ing y.

I appreciate the effort, but don't bother I literally will not die if don't eat them :rofl:.

13. Mackinz

I am actually working on non-weapon items at the moment, so WellFed duration is actually something I'm trying to balance in a non-vanilla, Mackinz-y way. If 180 seconds is too long, how does 90 seconds sound?

14. myomi13

Depends do any of the foods have special effects atm? My main issue is the major desync. Food that heals you very slighty for 30 seconds, but there's a 3 minute cooldown is just frustrating and when you can spam stims with no repercussions. Anything shorter than the effect is spamable I guess as long as there's no effect longer than 90 seconds then yes thats a hell of a lot more tolerable.

Just curious is there a food with a glow effect? That'd be neat. I was working on some racial crops for the novakids before the big update and I just thought the concept was cool in general.

15. Mackinz

No, to my knowledge there is no food which causes the player to glow. That does not preclude making one. All you have to do is copy the status effect from Yellow Stim Packs and make it more food-like. Any particular food you would like to apply glowing?

Also, for the wellfed durations I went with 75, 90, 105, and 120. 75 is for the produce, 120 for the spicy noodles, and the other two are used for the other few foods. I settled on some good sounding status effects for them already, but glowing for a minute or less doesn't sound like too much of a balance issue.

16. myomi13

I thought there was a food made with with those bioluminescent fruit/microscopic colony thingies as the main ingredient. I could be wrong. Those values make so much sense it hurts :rofl:. This update is cleary in good hands, I'm all hyped again!
    The glowing concept is really just a poke at creating racial advantages in my mind.Is it really that easy in Upbeat? I tried that Enraged and ended up having to make custom effects. Is modding Upbeat generally less finicky as long as you don't mistype anything?

17. Mackinz

Ah, yes. That would be the Nakati. I'll look into which foods use its harvest as an ingredient and apply glowing to them.

I think so, too.

I'm not sure. I know they made making new status effects require LUA, but, as far as I know, having a consumable apply a status effect was always as simple as finding the name of the status effect and typing it in the consumables' "statusEffect" area. Could be wrong.

18. austinlb90

austinlb90 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is there a modifiable game like that out right now?

19. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

If Ryuu does choose another game... And it has it's own forum... They better be prepared for NEXUS.

Intrebute likes this.
  20. myomi13

Really? I got duplication errors for some reason. LUA's getting pretty popular. It looks like learning it might have to be somethingI should do. It seems relatively straightforward like the tiny bit of flashscript I learned and more games are using it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.