1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Hey man, since the NWN IGN vault is dead, can you like, upload your stuff to the new vault site? Also, please tell me you have Poecile's Aribeth's Revival on hand, I need a hakpak included in it to run Aribeth's Redemption. I hate IGN even more when I realized they just shutdown their vault site without even saying anything about it.

2. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

I got permission from RyuujinZERO to continue development, and eventually release the child Avali I'm working on. I only have a few frames done so far, but if anyone was curious, here a preview with a comparison:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The outfit is a modification of the second racial armor (don't know it's in-game name). That's really as child-like as I can make her I think. I can't really remove any more rows of pixels without her no longer looking like an Avali. Anyways, it's about the same adult-child height difference as the vanilla races in the Kids mod I was going to try to add this to (still unsure if custom races are supported or not - I'll release it standalone if not and if I can figure out how to), and I think the shortened logs and thinned tail display a nice youth-like appearance! :p

Intrebute and RyuujinZERO like this.
  3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I believe someone else is already migrating my stuff to the new site, granted it's been at LEAST 5 years since I even had NWN installed, so I no longer have *any* NWN related files on hand, haks etc. even my own creations only exist in digital format so if those get deleted. I believe there's also copies on NWN Nexus

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  4. AuldWolf

AuldWolf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Regarding Chucklefish? I have some information on that, I've been doing a bit of nosing around.

They've actually moved into their own offices in... where as it, was it London? Not sure. I'm a UK person myself, but I forget where in the UK they said they were setting up shop. In the process, they lost a coder who couldn't make the move with them (Bartwe, I believe), and I think he was doing a lot of the backbone work. So they're hiring, now, to pick up the pace again.

So that could explain things. And I really hope it does get in gear because I love Starbound and the mods.

As for the 'touchscreens,' I can explain that one easily!

We're not so far from holography ourselves -- the most important thing to figure out is how to do it without burning our eyeballs. Of course, you could always do it with eye implants too a la Deus Ex. That's an option. You could use a directed vibrational or electrical feed (via hand implants which communicate with the device, maybe) to provide mild haptic-like feedback even through claws, and high-resolution proximity sensors (which we have in a very primitive form in technologies like the Kinect) to track the claws.

In regards to those technologies, we're almost there with a bunch of them. Google Glass, haptic feedback, implants, motion sensors, and so on. They're just incredibly basic compared to what they'd need to be.

Anyway, I always felt that the bridge of the Avali ships was holographic, so that was the immediate conclusion I came to. I believed Avali computers would likely use holographic tech rather than touchscreens.

Since, frankly, the Avali seem even more advanced than the Apex from what I've seen of them. And I don't object to this at all. :3c

Sorry if the talk on touchscreens was all ready concluded upon or officially spoken of before, I skipped ahead a bit... I just had to weigh in.

I think holography is a forgotten art in sci-fi. Which I'm always sad about.

Mass Effect and Andromeda both used it oh so well.

Edit: Oh, also!

It's good to see you around, Ryuujin. Thank you for your hard work and continued hard work on everything of yours I've ever used. It's nice seeing a name pop up from the past, and I'm actually glad it is you, it lightens my day.

So many people from back in the day, like Cleanerwolf and all, that you just don't seem to ever hear from again. So, yeah, nostalgiaaa and all. Glad it's you.

So, you have a great day.

Edit II: I have to say that I'm tremendously amused by the notion of an Avian watching an Avali poking randomly at the air (interacting with things they can't see) and being incredibly confused.

"Shh. I think he's possessed. Kluex knows what's happened to him, look as he writhes and twitches, and responds to voices inside his head."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. Ulithium_Dragon

This is taking me a lot longer than I thought, because each body part for each pose needs to be resized uniquely and individually, and then I have to try and salvage the overall pattern on a smaller scale (with less pixels). I just now finished the second idle pose:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Whats NWN?

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Neverwinter Nights, to all intents and purposes it was "Dungeons and Dragons (Forgotten Realms) 3rd edition: The video game", pretty faithfully converted the tabletop game into a video game format, automating the rules and dice throws, had a dungeon master mode in multiplayer and - most importantly, was immensely moddable to the point you could use the engine to create entire custom mini-MMOs with.

Not to be confused with Neverwinter, which is a lacklustre MMO based on the same IP

J_Mourne likes this.
  8. Sepkan

Sepkan Space Hobo

Thanks for the last update, it was on my birthday!

9. Ulithium_Dragon

I took a break from drawing animation frames to try out some of the community mods I've been wanting to take a look at:
    [​IMG]
    Is there anything more utterly cute and terrifying than an Avali riding a Dragon with a Gatling Laser!? :rofl:
    ----------
    Also, does anyone have the seed coordinates of a good-sized Avali village...? I STILL have never found one, and I really wanna see one up close! :S

EDIT: It occurs to me that seed coordinates *may* not work, since this is a modded race, and thus all villages are generated by the mod and not the overall Starbound universe generation. Still, I'd like the coordinates if you have them - it may work, and clearly I have zero luck finding them!

J_Mourne likes this.
  10. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

Sadly, yes. The more mods you have, the more stuff gets added to generation, and thus even MORE stuff is stuffed into the seed.

11. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

I think it should, but only if everyone has the same terrain generation mods.
    For example, both of us have the Avali mod, and the Avali mod only. The coordinates should be the same.
    However, if I have Variety is the Spice mod as well, they would be different.
    ...If the coorrinates work like Minecraft's seed system.

12. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

Avali villages are pretty uncommon. I haven't seen one for quite some time. Only thing to do is keep looking for 'em and be sure you're checking the correct tier of planet for any gear you'll want from the traders. You'll need Tier 1 planets for crafting the railgun stands, for instance, so don't be looking on X-Sector planets if that's what you want.

Upvoted because Toothless.

13. Ulithium_Dragon

Well, if terrain generation is related to mods that have "worldgen.config" and "universe_server.config" files, then I may be a bit out of luck - I have quite a few race mods installed with these files: Avali, Draenei, Elunite, Lopunny, Neko, and Ningen...
    BUUUUT, since all planets you "visit" are then saved locally in your "universe" folder, it's also possible that someone could simply zip me their world file of a planet with an Avali village on them (it may or may not matter what mods you have that add treasure pool changes, under the "treasure" folder). If someone would/could do this for me, I'd really appreciate it! I must have checked over a dozen more worlds this morning with no luck... I DID finally find a planet with some of those mushroom people on it (can't recall their race name - Arg-something). Why aren't they a playable race, being sentient and all? I haven't found/read all their lore yet, so is it just that they aren't advanced enough to be a space-faring race yet...? But from the things they say, I can tell that they at least are fully aware of the other sentient races with space travel capabilities!

I'm not even THAT concerned with schematics - if I can't find something I really want to try after a long time, I usually decide to be lazy write a 1 pixel recipe file for it! :rofl:
    I just really wanted to see ONE!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I haven't been seeing hardly ANY villages from ANY race lately. Are these more common in some sectors than others...? Because I do have to admit that I spend most of my time exploring Sector X now...!

14. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Im not sure if there is even such a thing as a Avali village, i only see small tents and tiny bases. :l

15. Ulithium_Dragon

That's still more than I've ever seen! I'd really appreciate it if someone would zip me their world file still! :]

16. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

There are. They are just really, really rare.
    Either that, or RNG hates Avali.

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

[quote="Ulithium_Dragon, post: 2133599, member: 142066
    [​IMG]
    /quote]

What mod is that? :p

18. Ulithium_Dragon

Which, the Gatling Laser, the How to Train Your Dragon mod, or are you refering to my equipped cape or goggles?
    To save time and posts, I'll just answer all three:
    -The dragon (Toothless), is from the mod DragonBound
    -The Gatling Laser (from the Fallout universe) is from the mod Fallout Weapons Pack 1
    -The equipment is from the Avila mod addon Catalina Industries Incorporated Official 3D Printer

19. sparker599

sparker599 Void-Bound Voyager

5300290, -84838840
    Gamma iota cen 8356 I: This planet has an Avali settlement with gun vendor less than a minute of walking to the left of the spawn point.
    avali_settlement.png

20. Ulithium_Dragon

I'll check it out - thanks! It may or may not be there for me, but it's worth a shot! Just out of curiosity, how many mods are your running that edit terrain generation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.