1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Why the hell did I stop getting alerts from this thread?
    Anyway, I have a question.
    At the end of the year 2013, if 7 billion Solarians existed, how many Avali would be living at the end of 2013?
    I assume the number would be significantly higher, because they live a lot longer.

2. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

There'll still be a chance of finding micro-encounters on all world types, though the chance will be lower than before, you simply won't encounter large settlements, those are strictly limited to icey worlds.

Not strictly true, difficult to say exactly.

[​IMG]

Note, that MOST of Earth's population growth is experienced in it's least developed regions, there is a direct correlation between education/wealth/population growth. Given that the Avali lack an analogue to "third world" regions you'd expect their growth rate to be lower; you're not going to see females who've had like 12 kids each. (Not unusual in some developing countries on Earth)

Given their population was decimated only several hundred years earlier, and a lower growth rate especially in recent time, you'd expect their total population, even across all their colonies, to be considerably lower than human's total population [pre-tentacle anyway]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  3. Larynkir

Larynkir Void-Bound Voyager

haha the planet ruse was a distraction.. i HAVE the spaceship!

Intrebute and Kawa like this.
  4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

War... HUH.

[What is good for?]

Absolutely [Nothing!] Say it again, y'all!

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Economic growth, research and development, development of social cohesion, national unity and increasing your nation's sphere of influence, subsequently affecting resource availability?
    What'd the Nazi's ever do for us? - Besides rocket science, pharmaceuticals, modern psychology, jet engines, various aircraft and sensor technologies...

J_Mourne and Kn4ck3br0d37 like this.
  6. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

Since many Avali are scattered across the universe, wouldn't there be those that would progress slower in the technology and -technically- be consider third world?

7. Railgunner2160

Railgunner2160 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You didn't bother looking at the wiki did you?? The Avali have a FTL internet that basically allows them to constantly be in touch and share knowledge......

Read the entry on the Nexus system......

8. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

All of the sanctioned colonies are part of the oracle's "grand scheme". there might be some less established colonies but conditions there are far from 3rd world, they still have all the resources they need or establish infrastructure. The rate of reproduction in developing countries typical stems from traditional survival strategy of having huge families (sometimes 12 or more per couple!) to counter the high infant mortality rate and inter-ethnic violence - running headlong into modern medicine (where the juvenile mortality rate becomes very low).

Frontier colonists are still very much "first worlders" with full education access to the nexus and the command of higher government.

9. OmniGeoff

What I mean is that there are Avali who are pirates, and Avali who stray away from the oracle AI. (Believe this was discussed somewhere in the unofficial thread.). In that case, would they strive to be separate from the AI to be anonymous?

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Pirates and the like don't exist in sufficient number to having a meaningful breeding population :p - Rogue colonies still have very good knowledge, educations and the like, it's unlikely they'd have developing world birth rates (look at countries like cuba that have sanctions and stuff imposed on them, stifling development, they still do their best to push forward with limited resources). And again, rogue colonies are so few, that their total population, additively is unlikely to number millions let alone have a meaningful impact on avali demographics

11. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Weight of the Sky

How do the Avali deal with pirates and rogues of their own species? Do they more or less let them do their own thing as long as they don’t prey on Avali shipping? Do they react if they attack other races’ shipping? How strict is Avali national security policy? If an Avali citizen were working against the aims of the Oracle and the Council agreed with the decision, could he be eliminated? Detained indefinitely? Held captive inside a pleasant virtual reality illusion?

I guess what I’m getting at is how tolerant is the Avali government of dissent? Or is it not so much of a problem since the Oracle system’s decisions are pretty sound simulations of reality?

12. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

That's something I've been meaning to get your opinion on. #spoilers

13. OmniGeoff

Well, let's take this into sides.
    Pirates are mostly for themselves...
    As long as pirates aren't a large force and a noticeable threat to the system, other Avali could probably take care of themselves.
    But if these pirates could amass a decent enough force to be considered a serious threat, yes, I do believe ANY race would want to dispatch them ASAP.

14. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Thinking about things raised a question.

I'm not sure about avali genetics.... But would it be possible for a mutation to happen, and a male be born with female feather patterns, and vice-versa?

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Mild sex-talk follows.
    Funnily you're not the first person to ask that. It seems plausible to occur, but given the general lack of significant sexual dimorphism the results would be quite constrained, namely:
    • Functionally male with partial or full female stripes.
    • Functionally female with partial or all male colours.
    • Sterile, with male feathers
    • Sterile with female feathers
    • Sterile with mixed feathers
    Seem like the 4 main possible outcomes due to genetic or congenital development issues, in respect to the gender spectrum outside male and female. It's not like in humans where there are hermaphrodites who may display partial or complete external genitalia that is at odds to their internal ones, since Avali sexual anatomy is all internal, male and female alike. External anatomy is fundamentally identical in both genders

16. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Which I can understand. Was more or less curious of hearing the possibility, rather than leaving it in the air (or my mind).

17. RTBot

RTBot Void-Bound Voyager

Reposting this here in the likely event that it gets buried under 100 pages in the off topic thread;

I have a question for you, Ryuujin. Avali like performance art and music, right? And obviously the nexus gives them easy access to all the music they could normally want. But where do they stand on going out of their way to see live performances and dare I say it, concerts? For such a musical race, it seems like many would want to experience the musical performances of their most talented packs "in the flesh", so to speak. I ask because I considered making Miina's pack professional musicians. And apologies if this was asked in the old thread, I didn't read through all of that one, since I was kinda late to the party. :p

J_Mourne likes this.
  18. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

Err, I think I found a bug; the plated door tells me I require "Perfectly Generic Item" to make it.... that means something broke, no?

19. Larynkir

I think that's a bug in the patch. It's meant to be steel blocks if I recall..

20. Larynkir

hmm I thought that's what those halls were in generated avali villages.. concert halls for the village~. That and some avali say "my pack has come up with a new routine, do you want to come see later?" or something of the sort X3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.