1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed assets foulder empty after update

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Rainbow Dash, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demise

Demise Big Damn Hero

great many thanks for that \o/\o/\o/ whooooooo i can now finally (when i have only 5mins of spare time left) get to sorting out my mods to work with this update, and many thanks again :D

2. Sven2157

Sven2157 Space Penguin Leader

You changed to E:\, but never changed to the win32 directory.

Easiest way, is to hold SHIFT and right click the win32 folder( or the folder containing the packer.exe ). By holding SHIFT, you enable new options in the right click menu. Select 'Open command prompt here'. Then run your command without the packer.exe's path ... You will still need the path of the assets pack ...

3. Serok

Serok Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm getting this problem:

[​IMG]

I'm navigated to the asset_unpacker.exe directory, I type in exactly:

Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak assets
    Nothing to it.

4. Sven2157

You need double quotes around paths that have spaces...
    Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak assets

Because of the spaces in Program Files (x86), should be:
    Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe "X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" assets

5. Serok

That seemed to do something different, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. just a blinking "_", and I cannot input anything. Is it just processing now, and I should wait it out?

EDIT: It says it unpacked, but I still don't see any of the assets in their respective folders... ?

EDIT 2: It unpacked it into my Starbound\win32 folder.

6. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

It should be in the win32 folder.

7. Sven2157

Yes, you unpacked it to assets.
    Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe "X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" assets
    Since just a folder name was given, and no path, it should have created a folder in the win32 directory, named assets. If you want it to unpack elsewhere, then you can specify the location like:
    Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe "X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "PATH_TO_MY_UNPACKED\assets"

8. Serok

I just cut and pasted to the correct folder; all working now, thanks for the help!

9. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

An easy way is to make a .bat file in the folder with the asset unpacker, with this as its contents:

Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe ..\assets\packed.pak ..\assets\unpacked

Protox likes this.
  10. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Yes, but I'm not that smart :P

11. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

this doesn't make sense

i have done what was told and it doesn't work

12. Sven2157

Completely uncalled for!

13. Morsus98

Morsus98 Industrial Terraformer

If it's worth anything, I followed your post and was able to unpack my files with little to no programming/modding experience. All of this was super helpful :)

14. Sephlington

Sephlington Phantasmal Quasar

You're really not going to get anywhere like that. If anyone was considering helping you before, they're probably not going to now.

Thanks for the assistance here, guys! I was really confused by my empty assets folder :p Now to peruse through AI files, like I was planning...

RvLesh and Morsus98 like this.
  15. belgianwiz

belgianwiz Void-Bound Voyager

just found out I'm an idiot, i messed up the "()" with "<>"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  16. Dizzle Dazzle

Dizzle Dazzle Tentacle Wrangler

Bless you all for helping, i'm a complete dunce when it comes to this type of thing! It took me a LOT of puzzling to muck my way through this, must've read the thread about 50 times before I managed it.

If you're stumped like I was, try these step by step instructions.

1.Hit Start, type 'cmd' in the search box. CMD should pop up.
    2. Type in
    Code:
    cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32
    This sets cmd to the proper directory. Note, this is using my path. If you have your starbound in another drive, you'll need your path, not mine.
    3. Type in
    Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" assets
    Note, again this is using my specific path (C:\Program Files... etc), swap it out for yours.

This should unpack it into the win32 folder, hope this helped if you just weren't getting it like me.

17. Auren

Auren Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The above steps worked for me and should probably be put somewhere where it can be more easily seen. Otherwise I see more people getting confused by this in the future.

18. Sven2157

This thing is, this is basic command line, usage and commands. All the instructions that are needed, are provided if you just run the .EXE.
    Code:
    Usage: asset_unpacker.exe <assets pak path> <target output directory>
    If you( or others ) don't understand what that means, i.e. "too hard", then maybe hit the books on basic command line operations.

Those that will use this command, will be those that are true mod coders. The others will be those that just want to alter the packed files to 'pad' the game play.

19. Dizzle Dazzle

Dizzle Dazzle Tentacle Wrangler

Man, you sure seem quick to judge, what are you, some kind of code hipster snob? Filthy milk drinkers polluting mother Skyrim?

Starbound is doing something pretty awesome, in my opinion, as a gateway for a lot more people to get into modding and coding in general. In part because it's designed to be friendly to such meddling, not requiring much base knowledge about issuing computer commands and the like. I myself have limited knowledge, as are those who are probably finding this thread through google as I did. No need to dump on any parades with your negativity. I'm a small time modder, padding my gameplay with more furniture, trees and other aesthetic items. My hobby is art, not code, and it's a shame you think this means I'm not good enough for the 'True Coder' t-shirt.

20. Sven2157

Really? What is with this community? Sorry your feelings were hurt. I merely pointed out that this is basic coding. You want to make changes but don't feel you need to learn how the environment works, or the BASIC ins and outs of using the provided tools?

There is no simpler way to explain how to use the tools. Go to the directory, run the exe from the command line, provide the arguments and you're done. But you feel that is TOO much to have to learn? Yet you think you should be playing with the game's configuration files...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.