April 21st – [STABLE] Update Notes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 21, 2015.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

There's a very important word in there.

UNSTABLE.

Unstable updates more frequently, and an update to unstable doesn't particularly mean a stable is right around the corner.

I'm talking about more advance warning once they feel a STABLE update is close. I'm not asking for a specific date, just more than "We're doing it TODAY".

Madzai likes this.
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@M_Sipher, stop whining and check the coordinates you can find in your universe folder. Stuff like -363574994_865293393_-274110596_5_2.world. Might need to look around a bit but it'll get you far enough.

RatixFarrence and Dunto like this.
  3. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@M_Sipher ,I would add that you look up the folder right-click a empty space on the folder and click on View->Details. Then you should have a button that says Date Modified at the top. Click that until its sorted with the most recently modified files at the top. Your planet should be one of those near the very top of the list.

Kawa likes this.
  4. Dunto

Dunto Guest

5. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

GEEK TIME!:geek:
    According to my knowledge of chemistry and fireworks since that green goo burns green then that would mean that the green goo contains a small or maybe large amouth of copper in it.
    since copper nitrate or just copper is used to make green fireworks blow in a green flame.

By the way really good jobe devs:up::up::party:

6. Portalcrafter51

Portalcrafter51 Void-Bound Voyager

(I bet this has been asked alot already but I'm too lazy to look it up right now) please tell me we will be able to choose a pet in the future because I'd like to stay glitch but I don't want a pig as a pet ....

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Short answer: no.

Long answer: probably not.

Corraidhín likes this.
  8. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

As with everything, just check the wiki. ;)

Dunto and Kawa like this.
  9. SpaceMaki

SpaceMaki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just bougth a original starbound to hunt for adventuressssss! :D
    Can't wait to loot more chetsssstsss, I wonder what treasssssure will be inssssside :3:fishbowl::DD
    I jusssssst love FLORAN :chucklefish:

10. Dsc

Dsc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm, with this update I'm having an issue where, after a few minutes, I cannot interact with anything in the game.

Kittails likes this.
  11. My point was, you knew the next stable would FUBAR your homeworld coordinates. You had more than a week to casually login and write it down xD

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Dunto likes this.
  12. General Nuclear

Well If thats true then theres going to be one starving pig aborde my ship and its all your fault devs

13. GeneralM13

GeneralM13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

14. General Nuclear

By the way copper becomes green when it oxizdize also thats why the statue of liberty is green also the statue of liberty is made out of copper

15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

How did people miss that I had my homeworld coordinates the entire time, that not a single goddamn post was "whining" about "losing" homeworld coordinates in any capacity because I hadn't?

My first post in this thread was that the Navcomp took over an hour to try (and fail) to process my homeworld coordinates, which would, you know, require I had my homeworld coordinates. This was followed shortly by a post with my workaround that finally got me home, which, again, required my homeworld coordinates. This was then followed up with some warning for people about the new version causing some placed objects to drop or disappear altogether, which I discovered as I went through my homeworld construction... which, say it with me, required my homeworld coordinates.

Reading is fundamental!

So no, none of this is about a loss of homeworld coordinates because that never happened. And @Kawa ? The smarm was uncalled for, especially given you were fundamentally wrong about the matter in the first damn place.

My point is that a more advance heads-up is ALWAYS better, especially for versions that don't update as frequently, aka "Stable". Unstable updates more often than Stable, so an Unstable push doesn't mean a Stable update is right around the corner, especially since the crew has to work unexpected kinks out before they can safely push to Stable and lord knows how long that might take. And while we heard about the big Unstable update with plenty of advance warning and what due diligence players might have to take (which is good, honest good job there, CF), the announcement of Stable's update was mere hours before the update proper.

I don't think that's it's an unreasonable suggestion to ask that the branch intended by design to have the least surprise updates get more than a few hours' heads-up before an update drops. We don't need an exact date (I wouldn't ask them to try and pin one down), just "hey, we're looking to get a Stable update out in the next couple days, so make sure you ______". That's all I'm asking, as someone who lost nothing in this update.

(Well, aside from all those eye/hand scanners I was using. Seriously, they just flat-out vanished. Also all my prison graffiti I'd saved was replaced with PGIs. Weird.)

Madzai likes this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

So Im allgemein, the structure present in the pastebin would facilitate the addition of items or mods on future releases (given its adopted by the devvies) or make it easier for them to work with existing objects? I remember it was mentioned before, but how is it defined what loads first when dealing with multiple add ons? I am just learning, so I cant quite tell what makes something load first or after just by looking at the Json files.[DOUBLEPOST=1429730298][/DOUBLEPOST]wait... since when are names orange?

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Modinfo's "requires" key makes those things load before the current mod and breaks if one's missing. "includes" makes them load before but allows them to be missing.

What this pastebin is about is ensuring that an array exists before trying to add to it, regardless of what loaded before it:
    1. If you assume it does not exist, add /myList [1,2,3] will replace the myList key that might already be there.
    2. If you assume it does exist, add /myList/- 1 (and another for 2 and 3) will break and catch fire if it happens to not exist.
    This update, and most of that pastebin except for the push operation, allows you to be certain that a key exists, no matter what mods that loaded before yours did, and add to it no matter if it does, no matter what it contains. The push op would only make adding multiple items to lists easier.

Corraidhín likes this.
  18. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman Void-Bound Voyager

Did anyone else take a look at the Ark, yet? If not, stop reading here, even though it's all speculation.

I believe that with each race (excluding the Novas, thankfully) having to get an object of somesort to open the gate, the recently announced NPCs will fill in for any single player universe, or for whenever there is a shortage of a racial player. It would make it so that every race has to get over their differences just for awhile to save more planets from getting destroyed by the tentacle beast. Heck, maybe Kluex, Big Ape, and Greenfinger might get involved, who knows? I'm glad they're working on the lore, at least, and can't wait to see what they pump out next. (Wish they'd do some more Flightless/Stargazer stuff, though!)

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@M_Sipher, if they were to post something like "new stable coming tomorrow, write down your home coords cos that's going out" (only, you know, 1000% more professional-like) half or more of the community will misread that and whine that there was no stable update "today".

And don't deny it -- you and I both know most people here are legally blind.

Two days or a week don't make a difference here.

<metadept> i guess we could do a news post a day before the update but i think people would be more mad that we posted when there wasn't an update lol
    <metadept> and we'd just be delaying the update a day past whenever it was ready

renbear, Dunto and Corraidhín like this.
  20. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

That pretty much sumarizes the whole of the internet...

benignInferno and Kawa like this.