Anyone siding with Joja mart?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jumboshrimp, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Xireni

Xireni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Xylia: Oh, absolutely. Can't believe I overlooked that reason. Which sane person would go and help the Corporation that drove you away from city life to begin with?

@Lumina: That would be interesting to see, JojaMart eventually outpricing - and then re-increasing all the prices now that it's the only competition left. Heck, I'd like to actually be able to start in a game where the takeover has already happened - Joja has outpriced and run the local businesses, and you have to fight back using your farm and the produce. Maybe. Not sure how realistic it would be, but it'd be interesting!

• walks

walks Aquatic Astronaut

at first i thought he was really cocky but then i wanted to see what would happen if i sided with him so i did

• Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

Is there any pragmatic reasons to side with Joja? Is there any pragmatic reasons to even shop there?

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

Grandfather evaluation, it was there back when it was actually an achievement to finish everything on time in 2 years. You get several points for finish the main quests. Also, second playthrough, you may not want to focus on gather stuffs and depending on lucks to get certain items like rabbit's feet or duck's feather.

• warhorseman1

warhorseman1 Space Hobo

Thought about it, but it reminds me too much of my 'real' job.
            Plus the one scene with Morris giving out coupons at Pierre's place, made me want to throw him in the river. :rofl:

Fuzzyman and Delsin7 like this.
            • Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I'm on my 6th play through and because I want the trophy I decided to get a Joja Mart membership. It's gone very well, after paying to complete everything you never have to see or talk to Morris again. I still do all my shopping at Pierre's as does everyone else mostly. The only people I've ever seen at Joja Mart is Shane working and Pam, but that's probably because Pierre doesn't sell wine and maybe Morris does. LMAO It has also saved tons of time, growing plants, fishing and foraging. I'm not even to the end of summer year one and I have the bus and my greenhouse done! Not sure how it will affect my relationship with the Wizard though. I had done the first cut scene with him after Lewis shows you around the dilapidated community center. I'll let you know if there is any difference in his reactions. I also don't know if I will be able to get a junimo hut later on, again I'll let you know.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I always thought the Joja route was there to compliment the 'evil' player options you get in the conversation options. Kind of an evil playthrough thing.

Nice guy conversation options + CC = Nice guy playthrough. (Lawful Good)
                Neutral conversation options + CC = 'Normal' playthrough. (Neutral Good)
                Neutral conversation options + Joja = Questionably Normal playthrough. (Neutral Evil)
                Evil guy conversation + Joja = Jerkface playthrough. (Chaotic Evil)

:avalilol:

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

You get a JojaCola machine that spits out a can per day for going the JojaMart route. Nothing with the wizard or his questline change. You can still unlock the witch’s hut and the wizards special book.

Buying a Joja membership makes the prices there the same as Pierre’s and their hours are better and Jojamart is open everyday. The Community Center is nice but pretty worthless once it’s complete. It also closes the JojaMart entirely and it becomes a community eyesore which always bothers me.

Also, the Jojamart cashier girl needs to be a marriage candidate with full events.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Pierre's is open every day if you go the CC route, though. And Pierre's Store is much closer to your farm than JojaMart is.

And it just reeks of Wal*Mart (obviously, but just had to re-iterate the fact), a company that started out decent but fell into corporate greed and now is a soulless money vacuum wanting all of your money. You can clearly see that CA doesn't like Wal*Mart because he takes every available jab at it with Morris and Joja in-game.

• Sparky00102

Sparky00102 Void-Bound Voyager

sadly I did side with joja my first file because I needed the bus finished quickly, I greatly regret it because whenever I go into the community center its so depressing and sad I want to reset it honestly

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I've sided with Joja before. I even wrote a fic about it in the Fan Works forum. Managed to put one over on Morris, and even got the girl! A happy ending for a snarky, sarcastic, entirely too quick-witted for his own good jerk with a heart of gold. Ish. Maybe pyrite? Something, anyway. But hey, enough business acumen to play Corporate off of Morris and help out both the town and himself in the process, so score!

• Reneeisxena

I'm now almost halfway through winter, year one, and I have everything the community center would have gotten me. Greenhouse, bus, mine carts, bridge to quarry and gold panning done. My only regret is that because I didn't "have" to fish for bundles I haven't really gotten my fishing leveled up much yet. I'm only to level 4 and I need level 6 to get the iridium rod but at least I can just fish in my spare time. I don't have to wait for the rain or a specific season to catch a certain fish. But if I want to get the legendary fish I will need to level up faster. I have not had any negative reactions from anyone, not even Shane who I'm thinking will be my farmer, Prissy's, husband this time. Time will tell since I haven't had the ghost Grandpa visit yet so I don't know if there will be any reaction from him/it.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

AFAIK, CA tried to make it so that the player should feel comfortable with either choice of CC or Joja and it is up to their morals/way of thinking/choice.

I don't think he'd have grandpa berating you for going Joja; CA doesn't seem like the kind of guy to punish players for their decisions in a game and you can tell that he tried to do as much as he could to make both routes as close to each other as possible in terms of work vs reward and fairness.

It simply comes down to the player and how they think, if they care about Joja or the CC, and if they're willing to put in the work, etc.

Now as far as Fish go... just keep in mind that you *are* missing out on a Starfruit if you do not catch at least one of every fish in a playthrough.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

The way the game is set up people are more inclined to side with the community center over Joja, but if the player wants to side with Joja for one reason or another, there's no punishments as far as the game itself goes. I much prefer going the CC route, but the big abandoned building when Joja is kicked out does bother me. There's a building that's a few miles from me that they started building then stopped (scuttlebutt is they ran out of money) and it is a HUGE eyesore because it's just some construction project that was abandoned. No idea what they were going to build either, it's just... a shell of something, and seeing the abandoned building once Joja is kicked out reminds me of that. Gameplay-wise there's no real difference if you side with Joja or the community!

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

They should have some kind of thing where you repurpose that building into... I dunno, Something if you kick Joja out.

Now, on the flipside, they should have the Joja Warehouse affect..... something (at least once you complete the entire Joja thing to make it equal/fair)....

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
                                  Reneeisxena likes this.
                                • Reneeisxena

I agree, once I was done paying to fix everything no one ever mentioned the community center. I would have thought that Lewis might say something but he didn't. I only went with Joja to get the achievement trophy. I have thought it was a shame that the Joja Mart building wasn't re-purposed into something, like a school for Penny to teach the kids in.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Not to date. My characters typically take an instant dislike to Morris, since he has the unmitigated gall to hand out coupons inside his competitor's shop. Which, in any reasonable town, would constitute a public disturbance, except that Lewis is an incompetent old fart who practically dislocates both his arms by endlessly patting himself on the back.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did it for the achievement in my second playthrough. Never have since and probably never will again. Aside from the ethical concerns and it not really jiving with the spirit of the game, I didn't find it all that fun to just throw money at everything. I finished it in winter of year 1 and stopped playing that save pretty much immediately afterward.

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

I always side with Joja. They don't make me completely stressed by forcing me to fish for them like the junimos do, or force me to visit the traveling cart every time to meet their exotic demands. Joja accepts legal tender, so all I have to worry about is running my farm, which is the reason my character came to Stardew Valley in the first place. Joja offers more freedom, you can specialize your farm, orchard, garden, ranch, combo, whatever, which is perfect. The Junimos practically force you to make a combo farm, which harms roleplay in my opinion. Also Pierre is a horrible human being so I have no sympathy for his plight against Joja.

• Reneeisxena

I have made it through the year and no one has mentioned the community center not being completed and more than half of the town's folk have 8 hearts with me. Even the Wizard likes me well enough to access to the basement to change my character's look. So, I really haven't seen a downside to going with Joja. Also Morris hasn't left the store since I became a member, he just sits there smiling. As for Pierre, he still takes Wednesdays off but you'd think he'd like one day off. Even Marnie or Robin aren't at their places everyday. Because I didn't "need" to fish I have been lacking in that skill but I'm working on that. I do like having more time to spend making the kind of farm I want. So honestly there doesn't seem to be a real downside to going with Joja.