Alien Giant Mushroom Hat

Discussion in 'Create-A-Hat' started by ThePhoenix, Nov 21, 2012.

?

Would you want this hat to be in the game?

1. Yes!

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Yes, with some minor tweaks. (Please comment with details.)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Maybe/I don't care either way.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Void-Bound Voyager

Have you ever, while wandering an alien planet, looked at a large alien mushroom-like thing and thought "I want to put that on my head"? If so, this is the hat for you!

100% scale: MushroomHat.png MushroomHatGuy.png

400% scale: MushroomHatGuyBig.png MushroomHatBig.png
    GirlWithMushroomHat.png

Partial log recording:
    "...couldn't find a signal before it died. I think we may be stranded here for some time.
    "I am so thirsty.
    "It rained again today. The water on this planet is really messed up, contaminated with sort of unidentified poison. It's eating through our clothes and equipment like acid. If it gets in any of your orifices it stings real bad, like you're being electrocuted. Eyes get all puffy and you can't see right, throat gets all swollen. Not nice. That's how we lost Delta the first day - she took a drink from the river without scanning it first.
    "We can't survive another rain storm - we're too weak. There's no trees to shelter under, no rocky overhangs. Our tent was a goner in the first downpour. Those stupid mushrooms are nowhere near tall enough to hide under.
    "I haven't got a clue how those little rat things survive - we saw one die in pain when it was raining earlier. They are not immune."
    Recording ends. Next entry:
    "Haha! We have solved it! It's those mushroom things - that's how the critters survive.
    "As the rain started up again, Pi noticed one of the rat critters hiding from the rain under a mushroom. We watched it for a bit, didn't have anything better to do, and it started drinking the water dripping off of the mushroom! That's how we realised it!
    "Something in the mushroom flesh neutralises the poison in the water. It's really efficient too. If you scoop a mushroom-cap full of water out of the river and slosh it around a bit, it is completely safe to drink.
    "Now we're all wearing the tops of the mushrooms as helmets, to protect from the rain. Works pretty good. Still have water running down our faces, but at least it's not burning us. They look rather dapper too. Or maybe my eyes are still not working right. Whatever. If we ever get off this rock, I'm totally going to start selling these things."

The design process was pretty simple. I started drawing shapes, thought "That looks a bit like a mushroom cap" (pun intended) and went from there.

Afterwards, I realised it reminded me of the Mario series (which I have never played, apart from Mario Kart 64) and got worried that I had accidentally copied a design from it. While the hat has superficial similarities to Toad's head, the red shell and Bowser's shell, I was relieved to discover isn't the same design as anything specific from Mario. I based the design solely on the Amanita muscaria fungus.

I would include multiple colour variants (an orange one, a purple one, etc) but I am not sure if that would violate the one entry rule so I'm playing it safe for now.

I am open to any suggestions on how to improve the design, but I am pretty happy with how it looks right now.

Shippo, dgm, Necrovore and 4 others like this.
  2. Neonova

Neonova Big Damn Hero

Don't get closer to Mario... He can grow up eating your hat!
    I liked it!