1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

After 666 Hours of Enraged Koala - The Builder Experience

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sese, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Sese

Sese Pangalactic Porcupine

666.jpg

Greetings to You All,
    A new patch has arrived, and before I close my beloved old game and start a brand new one I want to share with You what I loved and hated about this game - until now. I want to show You some of my bases I built, and give my ideas about the building experience. I started the game with a Hylotl, so let's see a Hylolt building first:

Hylotl Monastery

2014-04-13_00011.jpg

2014-04-13_00022.jpg

2014-04-13_00037.jpg

2014-04-13_00040.jpg

I loved creating this. :) The Sanctuary has an entry, a kitchen, a bedroom, a bathroom, a swimmingpool hovering over a great rift filled with lava, and a dojo off course with angry birds unable to escape the high corners. The roof and the staircase are imitating dragons.
    • I wished for a tool to manipulate liquids with. I had to wait for the rain to fill the bathtub and my pool with enough water. This wish is now fulfilled with the new patch, thank you!
    • I would like to see a way to scan and print the building blocks too, not just the furniture. So many innocent villagers died for this Sanctuary...
    • I wish we could operate not just the lights (it is solved with the new patch) but all the sanitary and computers (to write notices, to look through the screenshots, to write emails to friends), and so on - as many items as possible. Thanks.
    • Also be able to eat while sitting beside a table should be nice.
    I will show my another favorite buildings & ideas in separate posts for easier digest. Stay tuned!
    Thank you,
    Péter

2. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

Absolutely love your very comfortable looking home. I especially love the built-in transparency and exposure for the pool. Makes you wonder what it might be like swimming in such a pool on an alien planet.

There is a touch of something magical about this dwelling. It's hard to describe but its a wonderful feeling. Something to do with your choice of materials and the detail in the background walls.

Thanks for sharing.

Oberic and Sese like this.
  3. Sese

Thank you for your kind words. Just as I read your comment I received a trophy:
    "Quality over Quantity"
    So I just feel encouraged to post a second base here:

Weekend House in Hell
    Hylotl Motto: "You are the drop of water in hell."

2014-04-06_00001.jpg

2014-04-06_00003.jpg

2014-04-06_00008.jpg

The Hylotl monk never rests, even at the weekends he is training to endure his opposed element: fire. His modern sanctuary is like a small beach house, the iced poolwater is the core of it.
    • I wish I could play with that arcade machine.
    • I mined out a whole mountain to place my house before the islands (for the best panorama). I wish I could use bulldozers and mining mechs and cranes and drones at middle Tiers of the game.
    • What about mines, plants, factories, oil wells, manufactures in the game?
    • In higher Tiers You could plan your buildings while sitting at your computer on your ship. Or you could copy your finished ones. Then you could paste your buildings en masse on a cleared planet surface, if you have all the materials needed.
    • The Builder Tiers could evolve around the basic needs and levels of comfort. You have to provide warm shelter, water, gas, power, sanitation and galactic TV to your customers or workers to cash in more pixels.
    • I am not sure what happened to the temperature hazards?
    I will show my another favorite buildings & ideas in separate posts for easier digest. Stay tuned!
    Thank you,
    Péter

4. Sese

Today I will show you a small Hylotl base before I jump to my second character:

Hylotl Water Crystal Building

2014-03-15_00039_small.jpg

It is just a small base on the top of the highest mountain with a pool I can use between explorations.
    • I love the sound of the clock, I wish it showed the correct time (how much until sunset / sunrise in real time).
    • This could be a nice example for a copy-paste building: it doesn't need much space and materials. Or I wish I could lift off with this building and fly around above the surface.
    Thank you,
    Péter

5. Khuur

Khuur Pangalactic Porcupine

These are cool buildings. I like that you are posting your thoughts on the game at the same time. Interesting analyses.

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

These are really inspiring, I need to learn how to put as much work in this, currently practising on asteroids.

Khuur likes this.
  7. Sese

Finally I had time to play with the new patch, so I decided to stay with my old/new hylotl character Cthulunatic a little longer, and show you my new greenhouse:

Hylotl Greenhouse

2015-02-01_00101_small.jpg

It is only Tier 1, so I will decorate it later (I miss my old ship and the lanterns and wall panels from it), but it will serve our purpose to comment on the farming.
    • I hoped that we will be able to use machines and mechs for quicker planting and harvesting at the middle Tiers.
    • At final Tiers (as mentioned before) we could have planets full with automatized food production for our crew or inhabitants.
    • I was surely not prepared for the removal of the hunger system. I loved to plant and harvest the vegetables and prepare the food before I went out exploring. I really wish it could be a choice at the start of the game. Also I couldn't find in-game what the new status effects are for the new dishes.
    • Finally (and this goes for all the buildings above) I wish we could access the hylotl building blocks and roof tiles and furniture and decorations.
    Thank you,
    Péter

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

Beautiful greenhouse in a beautiful landscape... makes me want to sit down and listen to the waves softly hitting the wooden pillars and watch the insects flying around.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  9. L. F. Oxidizer

L. F. Oxidizer Pangalactic Porcupine

Your building skills are awesome. You deserve applaud.

10. Kind of a Jinx

Kind of a Jinx Void-Bound Voyager

I simply adore your building creations! My favorite has to be the green house. I hope you'll share with us again soon! :love:

11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You can manipulate liquids with a level 2 MM.
    Go to an ocean planet to collect infinite amounts of water.

12. Artay001

Artay001 Pangalactic Porcupine

Beautiful building! I also want to be able to scan rare block types. Either that or give the ability to craft them once you've picked them up.

13. Sese

Thank you for your kind words. Let me show you another greenhouse I built for a human girl, Starshee.

Pink Greenhouse

2014-04-26_00035.jpg

2014-05-17_00017.jpg
    The architect Cthulunatic built this greenhouse for her friend, Starshee. I wanted an industrial and functional look, with hints of automatized systems in this building, but with a favor suitable for the punk girl. I luckily found a planet that had rain and pink soil and purple background. Hope you like it too.

• Imagine you have a high Tier plant (Farming Path), and that needs special soil, temperature, and an automatized watering-, air-, and lighting system.
    • Imagine you are at high Tier (Farming Path) and you can just drop preplanned buildings en masse on cleared planets. Then you could send bots / mechs to plant, tend, and harvest the plants.
    • Again, just repeating myself: please let us scan and reprint the building blocks and other items, or let us learn to craft already known building blocks and other items. So many innocent prisoner :) died for this building.

Thank you,
    Péter

14. Sese

Thank you for the likes you gave me, I was more than happy to search my library for another building worth to show to such a lovely audience.

Starshee's Home

2014-05-28_00027.jpg

2014-05-28_00029.jpg

2014-05-28_00045.jpg

Starshee loves to live here and pays a great sum of rent to Cthulunatic. It has many rooms, the private and public (party) areas are well separated. It has wardrobes at the entrances, a staircase, a kitchen, and a lunchroom at the ground level. On the second floor you will find the guest toilet on the right, and Starshee's bathroom and bedroom on the left. On third level you will find the grand terrace, the living room, and the workroom with a little smoking terrace. There is much room for forgotten treasures in the attic.
    • Another good example for the upcoming Building Path: fulfill the wishes of the customer with enough light, sanitation, fridge, strong front doors, outer lights, expansive furniture, trophies, plants, great windows, terraces and so on.
    • It would be great to include working water tubes and pumps. To manage the sanitary tubing as we can manage the lights nowadays. (I have to build a house yet that has visible water tubes in it.)
    • Some power generators could be added to create electricity. We have torches and oil lamps for the lower Tiers. We could have power plants for higher Tiers. (We already have oil and coal and wood and waste and nuclear ores to work with. There are windy planets too. I have yet to see a waterfall.)
    Please comment below on my proposals too!
    Thank you,
    Péter

Khuur, Kind of a Jinx and Tamorr like this.
  15. Khuur

The staircase windows, attic supports, and metal outer shell are all great details. Thanks.

More advanced building options would be cool, but there more complexity of that style that's added to the game, the narrower its audience for that kind of building becomes...

16. Sese

I speak about the Builder Path, a path that is challenging as the Explorer Path is now. The first Boss was hard for me to fight, so I am eager to face the other Paths - as soon as they are available.
    And I think the Builder Path and the Farming Path should have their challenges too. :)

Thank you for your comment. Also thank you for your likes, I received this two trophies:

"Seriously Likeable!" and "Andre the Giant has a posse"

Bye,
    Péter

Khuur likes this.
  17. Sese

Now we have a sign creator at the outpost, we had only a paint tool before and various blocks to create background pictures / mosaics. You already saw that I painted the window frames and the wooden roof for the Monastery, and I painted the walls of the Weekend house. Now I searched my library for little details where I used the paint tool or various blocks to create background features.

Hylotl Pyramid

2014-02-15_00002_small.jpg

Believe or not this was my first home. I tried to recreate my face as a mosaic at the top level and created some flags at the entrance and in the throne room.

Purple Base

2014-02-10_00028_small.jpg

Here I tried the paint tool for the first time. Please check my thoughts about the paint tool:
    • Now that the paint tool has a fix place at our quick slot bar CF could make it a little more versatile and add special dyes to create special effects for example:
      • a) fluorescent painting at Middle Tiers - it could work better as torches. They do not require oxygen to operate underwater or underground or on Moons / Asteroid fields.
      • b) burning / detonating painting at Higher Tiers. If an enemy is crossing the wall section where the painting is added then it activates itself and burns the monster.
      • c) honey painting at Lower Tiers to lure bugs, pets or monsters to a specific place.
      • d) colorchanging painting at any Tier that changes color at night or if exposed to water.
    • We created the paint tool from petals and dyes. Now we get them form the S.A.I.L., but the petals remained. Have the petals and dyes any use in the game now?
    Thanks for reading,
    Bye,
    Péter

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    alibabaggypants, Khuur and Tamorr like this.
  18. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

The red dye is used for making a dog house. A schematic and quest you can get at the outpost after the last ship upgrade.

Other then that the dye's have no use that i know of. At least atm.

Hopefully they add recoloring clothes and armor in the future that you can use dyes for.

19. Khuur

Ah those are super cool ideas! I want to set up traps and lighting with my pain(t) tool. Honey paint to get the monsters to move into your detonating area. Use detonating paint to clear blocks or furniture?

Sese likes this.