Adding custom ore type

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Herdo, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

Could someone help me out here? I'm trying to add a custom ore type, but Starbound refuses to launch.

I've created a new item for it under items/generic/crafting, and I'm just using plutoniumore.jpg for testing.

I've added it to the oredistributions.lvltables file and I've created a newore.matmod file for it (again, just using plutoniumore.jpg here). I really have no idea what these matmod files do though, do any of you?

What am I missing? Been messing with this for about 2 hours now with no luck. I finally got SB to launch but couldn't find any ore, then I found that I placed the matmod file in the wrong folder (items/generic/crafting).

Now I'm back to getting stuck on the Loading screen.

EDIT: Forgot a comma.... It works! Time to start balancing the new ore spawn rate. Tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Matmod files specify the actual ore. What matmods can do that other materials cant is be placed ontop of standard tiles like sand, dirt, cobblestone, etc.

Also, folder structure does not matter. You can place your additions anywhere in the assets folder and it will work.

3. Herdo

Ah ok I see, thank you very much! I have another quick question that hopefully someone can answer.

I want to craft my new ore into a recipe. What is the easiest way to get the recipe to the character? I know I can just add it to the player.config file, but I'd like to have it set to learn the new blueprint upon picking up the new ore. How can I do this?

4. expl0it

expl0it Poptop Tamer

for this, assuming i've understood your question correctly
    you could create a .recepie for it
    /assess/recipies

for example

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "itemusedforcrafting", "count" : 1 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "theoutputteditemyouwanthere",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "plain", "all", "other" ]
    }

5. Code:
    "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [ "YOUREORENAME"]
    Should work. With it being on a matmod file I honestly don't know. It works fine for any object or item, I just don't know if it will work regarding a material type.

6. Herdo

Thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I was looking for severedskullz. The problem is, my recipe is not showing up on the crafting table. I've got the .recipe file in assets/recipes/starter/crafting table folder:

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "solidifiedpetroleumore", "count" : 5 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "oil",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "crafting table", "all" ]
    }
    I've got the .item file in the assets/items/generic/crafting folder:

Code:
    {
      "itemName" : "oil",
      "rarity" : "Rare",
      "inventoryIcon" : "oil.png",
      "description" : "A barrel of oil.  Probably makes a good fuel.",
      "shortdescription" : "Oil",
      "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [ "solidifiedpetroleumore" ]
      "fuelAmount" : 100
    }

I've got the oil.png file in the same folder, and I've tried adding the "oil" item to the player.config file (just below the other recipe I've made which shows up fine), and using the "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [ "solidifiedpetroleumore" ], and it still will not show up.

Not generic cube item or anything, haha. I must be forgetting something.

7. Thats because the group is "craftingtable" and not "crafting table"

8. Herdo

Hmm, fixed that but still nothing. Could it possibly be because it's a .item file as opposed to a .object file? Seems like all of the other crafting table recipes call for a .object and the furnace recipes call for .item. I guess I will try to convert it to a .object file and see if that works.

Thanks again.

Oh and one more thing. How do you find the commands like "learnBlueprintsOnPickup"? I'm sure there are many I am not utilizing but I have no idea how to find them.

9. Just by digging through other files... There is no documentation anywhere if that is what you are wondering. Also the crafting recipies support both .item and .object as you can craft both. What im wondering is if you spelled everything correctly as well as if you are getting some hidden error. Check the starbound log and see if you have anything in there.

10. Herdo

Nothing in the log file related to anything I've changed. Check my spelling on all the files about 10 times. This is so frustrating. I think I'm going to take a break for awhile.

Thanks again.

11. I cant believe I didnt catch this earlier. You dont have the blueprint. In order for you to learn the Oil Blueprint, you have to pick up the item Oil. But you cant craft Oil to obtain it...

Thats whats going on. You can always add your Oil item to the default blueprints.

12. Herdo

Are you talking about adding it into the player.config file? Because I've already done that. :(

Code:
      "tierBlueprintsUnlockedMessage" : "New blueprints have been unlocked.",
      "blueprintOnPickupMessage" : "New blueprint available.",
      "defaultBlueprints" : {
        "tier1" : [
          { "item" : "copperarmorhead" },
          { "item" : "copperarmorchest" },
          { "item" : "copperarmorpants" },
          { "item" : "darkwoodmaterial" },
          { "item" : "restingchair" },
          { "item" : "oil" },
          { "item" : "yarnspinner" },
          { "item" : "campfire" },
    As you can see, there is a restingchair and oil that I have added. The restingchair I made yesterday and it works fine. The oil won't work for some reason though.

13. Oh good.

Then you must be getting an error somewhere. Check the log.

14. SpectralGhost

SpectralGhost Master Chief

Your problem is that they learn the blueprint for solidified petroleum ore AFTER crafting oil. Which required solidified petroleum ore in the first place. Unless I misread something, in which case my apologies for not being much help.

EDIT: Quick question, what do you put for ModID in the custom matmod file? I'm also messing around with something very similar.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  15. I have already said the same thing, and he responded saying it was in the default blueprints already and still isnt showing up.

16. EvilEngineer

EvilEngineer Starship Captain

Make sure all of your files are saving as "UTF-8 without BSO" or "ANSI" encoding. You'll find the recipe won't load at all into the game without it.

17. Herdo

I just put a random number there. Seems to work fine, just make sure it doesn't conflict with another ModID.

Checked the Starbound log and I can't find anything related to the mod I am making. It's very weird, it's like everything is working, but it's not working, haha.

18. Herdo

ARRRHHHH. oil.recpie..... Misplaced the "i" which caused hours of work. Checking the name of the files first thing from now on, haha.

Thanks everyone.