1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Access denied launch error

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by ElectricGrey, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compboy

Compboy Poptop Tamer

So what AV do you have on the home pc?

2. R7.

R7. Space Hobo

Try launching steam as an administrator, that should do the trick.

3. sherwinator

sherwinator Space Hobo

if AV is anti virus i have microsoft security essentials at home

4. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

Believe me, I've tried that.
    Link to all the stuff I've tried: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/access-denied-launch-error.44881/#post-1470878

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

It would be nice if we could get some clarification from the devs at some point. Seeing as this thread alone has over 1k views, you think there would be some acknowledgement. :zzz:

dj21095 likes this.
  6. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

While it is possible that there's a common cause, it is equally likely that every one of you is encountering a unique issue.

For anyone that knows how to use a debugger, you should attach it when the crash occurs and figure out what both the caller (first address) is located in, and what the address it is accessing (second address) is located in.

7. Jman1177

I've got IDA Pro (Free) debugger and I've been trying to do exactly that. Can you walk me through the process, please?

8. TheManatee

TheManatee Master Chief

I realize the devs are busy and everything, but COME ON! getting the game to work for everyone who paid for it is WAY more important than balancing enemies, weapons and adding a grappling hook!

doobydude likes this.
  9. Jman1177

Blurgh. RvLesh was a big help to me today- he helped me get through an outragoeus amount of stuff. I also tried moving the steam directory to C:/SteamLibrary (so it's not in program files anymore). Still no solution in sight , I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if this is of any use to the devs, but the access violation address seemed to be related to KERNEL32 or ntdll.dll (the read address pointed to ntdll.dll an the violation was detected in the address corresponding to KERNEL32). I'm definitely no debugging pro so take all of that with a grain of salt. Perhaps it's related to a bad pointer or some type of memory mismanagement? I'm not sure.

Edit: I found the error "KERNEL32!IsBadStringPtrA+0x2a | (00000000`74f93240) KERNEL32!NlsInsertBidiMark" when I try to jump the location of the violation. I'm assuming StringPtr means String Pointer. Maybe that's related?

I ran the new SBDiagnose program and it said I was running in compatibility mode. I deleted the compatibility flags from the registry, and now there's no problems that It can find.

Any type of advice from a dev or somebody who's solved this would be greatly appreciated. I'm very eager to play the game ^.^

Edit: I've been fishing through a ton of log files and MIGHT have found the problem in my process monitor log.

3:06:02.8820420 PM starbound.exe 5812 RegOpenKey HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: All Access

I'm not sure how to fix it, but at least we (maybe) know what's causing it?

Edit- as somebody pointed out, I wasn't running in admin mode the one time I captured this log, so disregard the last statement.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  10. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

Oh. If you reinstall windows, it fixes it.

11. RvLesh

That particular Access Denied is because (by default) that key only allows Full Access if you're an Administrator. Run as Admin/elevation would make that one go away.

That will fix most problems local to the machine, yes. :)

Not ideal, though.

12. Jman1177

Yeah, that fixes almost everything, but there's no way I'm re-installing windows to fix something like this >.>

I'd really love some input from the devs, because this is literally making me go crazy. I've tried everything that I can think of :/

13. Jman1177

I don't believe it- I ACTUALLY GOT IT TO WORK!
    [​IMG]

The good news is that it works, the bad news is that my fix likely won't work for everybody. Have you guys heard of the program called WebWatcher? It's this tracking program parents or companies can use to spy on their kids/employees. It's also (apparently) sometimes used as a kind of virus, remotely installed on your computer.

Some awesome people helped me work through the unbelievably complex process of figuring this out. We used the windows debugging tool and the windows process monitor to find the location of the problem- for me, Kernal32. That's a windows process that shouldn't be having any problems, so he knew something was up. It turns out that this virus located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\scipqe was injecting itself into nearly every program on my computer- INCLUDING starbound. And for some reason, it's not compatable with starbound. So it was causing the crash.

Here's a link to the information page about the virus, if you're interested https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...80d9ebc6ed1c5ebdccdba1a0/analysis/1387150054/

So here's the deal. I don't know if this problem occurs with the legit version of WebWatcher that parents or companies use- maybe it's incompatible. Or perhaps this was just a virus masquarading as the legit version of WebWatcher. I'm honestly not sure. So here's what you can do:

1) If you're a kid living with parents, or using a work computer, think about whether or not your parents/boss might have installed it. It may be the source of the problem.
    2) I downloaded Ad-Aware (the antivirus software) to crush this virus in particular. Again, I don't know if this works on the legit version of WebWatcher or if I had some type of virus. The problematic files were located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\scipqe for me, but from what I can tell the install directory won't be the same for everybody. Try to do a full system scan and see if the webwatcher virus comes up.
    3) If you see that a bunch of files are flagged as dangerous, select the option to quarantine them, and restart your computer. See if that doesn't fix it.

If that doesn't work, then try using the windows process manager. You might be able to find the source of your issues. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  14. RvLesh

I'm glad to hear you got it working!

Usually the 'legitimate' spyware vendors will register their current supported versions with AV vendors (since the idea is to remain hidden), so it was probably out of date, if nothing else.

I'd definitely start changing passwords, just in case. :)

15. sherwinator

sherwinator Space Hobo

well i tried what you said until the thing about C:\Windows\SysWOW64\scipqe cause i didnt have scipqe in SysWOW64. :/ any ideas of what to do?

16. dj21095

dj21095 Astral Cartographer

17. ElectricGrey

ElectricGrey Poptop Tamer

I have no C:\Windows\SysWOW64\scipqe so still stuck here. :/

dj21095 likes this.
  18. TheManatee

TheManatee Master Chief

I had it friggin fixed but this update brought it back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.