Dev Blog A Very Merry 2015 Round-Up

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Astrih Konnash

Astrih Konnash Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Have a good rest, don't eat too much on Hollydays and don't drink too much on New Year !!! :party::party::party:

May you come back in 2016 refreshed and witn a ton of new and neat ideas for Starbound!!! :nuruwink:

General Nuclear and Axe Garian like this.
  2. Outlaw Star

Outlaw Star Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Have a great vacation! I'll be collecting bricks and junk in stable for the 1.0 update :-D Also shooty guns and stabby sticks are much more fun. Kudos!

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

I have been having lots of fun so far and It blows my mind that it isn't over yet. What really makes starbound great is the community and how pretty much every gets along and we can talk with the devs. Merry Christmas y'all.

ravenvalentine and Axe Garian like this.
  4. 2004jur

2004jur Void-Bound Voyager

i only joint in 2 month's before the combat update!!
    =D

5. ninja601

ninja601 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you chucklefish! and God bless you wonderful humans pengins and uther! :party:

Astrih Konnash and Axe Garian like this.
  6. noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

So, since y'all're out of the office until 2016, is it safe to assume that any and all nightly updates during this period will not actually be any different from each other?

7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well it was an interesting for sure. Lots of changes, additions, and improvements. Granted somethings still need a bit of tweaking, but i am sure yall will get to it even more on the next year. A fairly good year, decent enough to push forward. Even got to play with the combat update a little, as I had a long break from the initial few updates of Giraffe. Satisfied for the most part, and as implied still seeing a few things that might need some tweaks.

Lots may not like the contact damage, but myself however I just didn't like certain instances of it. Areas in which didn't make sense, like the shell hiding enemies that do not have an obvious damage inducing shell. Just the state in which they are in shell bothered me about that part, since they are immune to hits anyway.

Still got a lot to explore in the current update. Missing some of the shields that were in the prior one though. Those rectangle shaped ones that were on the starbound wiki; possibly still are. Regardless I hope there are even more varieties of shields or something special is meant for them...

Have a lovely holiday with in mind that quite a bit was accomplished this year. At least I think so. Tenants of starbound will be overjoyed in mingling. :nurucool:

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Enjoy your rest over the holidays - you earned it! What a great year indeed, and what a leap forward in Starbound... can't wait to see how things will go in 2016. I hope even more wild than now :laugh:

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Dunto

Dunto Guest

You could always use a mod to enable them...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2015
  10. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I could, yes. Installing Frackin' Christmas would be very easy, but enabling vanilla holiday assets through a mod feels wrong. We've had these entirely vanilla assets in the game for almost three years now, and they have only been made officially accessible once when there have been nearly three Christmas seasons in that time. That is just wrong, in my opinion. Access to them should be made a vanilla feature, not one dependent on third-parties like yourself or sayter.

Lemuria, Pingeh and Axe Garian like this.
  11. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Seeing as how the game doesn't seem to have a timed mechanic yet (for unlocking/locking things on a predetermined schedule) I'd say you're gonna be feeling wrong for a little while yet. If you don't wish to mod that's your decision, but that doesn't make modding an unreasonable way to alter the game to suit your personal tastes.

12. Mackinz

...Dunto, I believe there is a difference between modding the game to suit a person's personal tastes and encouraging Chucklefish to not let existing, vanilla assets rot when the proper season to unlock them rolls around.

Pingeh and Axe Garian like this.
  13. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Is it just me, or did Dreadwing get nerfed? This go, I had a HELL of a lot easier time shooting him down then before & I only had a Assault Rifle... not even a Rocket Launcher... :nurugasp:

Edit: Also, I got an idea for a Right Click Ability for 2-Handed Axes I posted in a Thread I made, & i'm gonna shamelessly plug it in here to increase chances of a Dev seeing it: A big powerful swing that also carries the 'Hunting Attribute' similar to whatever it is attribute-wise that makes Bows do that thing, then that kinda 2-Handed Axe could have both combat & hunting uses, & give us Melee Peeps more Hunting options. :nuruhappy: Possible names for this Attribute could be "Execution/Execute", "Beast Murder", "Flay", "Abattoir", (This name inspired by HotS's The Butcher & his Level 7 Talent of same name. I've learned that "Abattoir" is French for "Slaughterhouse" or something like that.) & "Fillet".

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    n1t3n likes this.
  14. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Yo, does anyone happen to know what this is?

Capture.JPG just randomly found it in nightly, even mined the wall behind it, but it doesn't seem to be part of the foreground or background o_O

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Mackinz

It's a fossil.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

can we assume the first picture with the folk running around with M.Ms is ChuckleFish HeadQuarters?

Looks pretty cozy...

*places bombs in the underground tunnel*

17. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

DiiiiiNO POOP!

18. AsmodeanMage

AsmodeanMage Void-Bound Voyager

And what an incredible year it really has been,
    True progress has been made, full fledged redos of artwork, incredible combat gameplay improvements, and a consistent stream of honest communication with the public the likes of which I have never seen!

Of all early access projects that have not held to their ends of the bargain, you have all exceeded it, and with such splendor! Please enjoy the rest, fill you minds with ideas and your hearts with happiness this winter season, then come back and use those beautiful brains for more wins, more epic, and more awesome! And we will keep loving you for it

Axe Garian and Corraidhín like this.
  19. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Joke's on you, those Bombs suck at Blast Radius, the damage to the Headquarters will be a joke... & they won't even let you collect the Resources known as the blown up Blocks, thus leading to Resource Waste. Fail Strategy. :p (The Starbound Bombs are a joke... not good for anything except selling for Pixels. Perma-killing Resources, even Blocks Resources, is a retarded strategy.)

20. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I assume you never used bomb mods in the Koala build... I could race you with a godspeed MM and still win using only deep charges

Axe Garian likes this.