Modding Help A Question Regarding Feasible Crafting (Poll)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by BitHorizon, Jan 2, 2014.

?

Would a soldier of average training be able to create a rudimentary firearm of some kind using iron?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe/Depends (State why in thread)

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

I'm making some components for a mod and I'm wondering what you think about this. I want my mod to make sense.

EDIT: On an anvil.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Denesta

Denesta Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not with a wooden crafting table. I think it would be easy with the robotic one though.

3. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Making a primitive blackpowder gun is easy. It's just a matter of a straight tube of iron (but preferably steel), capped at one end, with a hole to fill with gunpowder and stick in a lit matchstick. Fill the cap with gunpowder, load your shot into the muzzle, stick a burning stick into the match-hole and blam. The biggest technical hurdle is making the gunpowder.

Of course, this gun's not going to be very effective, but you could make it using no other technology than what an anvil and a wooden crafting table provides.

To make an effective gun, you'd need a metalwork station, for steel, and higher-precision tools, like what a robotic crafting table provides. With those two requirements in place, you could produce just about any modern firearm - or even heavy weapons like rocket launchers and flamers.

When you start throwing in the potential for nuclear power, exotic super-materials, and circuitry, things get interesting (T5 or higher). Lasers and plasma weaponry start to become possible. You'd need a few materials like laser diodes and circuit boards from the wire station.

With Solarium and Impervium at the highest tiers, you may be able to make exotic weapons like antimatter launchers or quantum entanglement disintegrators. Speculative fiction, go!