A new RP

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Meukleiker, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Meukleiker

Meukleiker Title Not Found

I've been wanted to do literally any sort of RP for a while now, and since I don't exactly understand how to be a GM quite yet, I think it might be better to find some people who could help me with what I plan to make. I've already done some brainstorming on the world I'd like to create but it's still rough around the edges and I hope to be able to post it here once I can.

As of when I'm writing this, I would like to try and find some who could help me understand as to how to be a GM and sort of guide me into what I'd need to do. Also, anyone who might be interested in joining can PM me now and once I've finished (and posted) the world, you would also have to send me your character details so you can be set to be put into the world.

As for when I might finish it, depending on how in depth and prepared I want to be, it might take a few days.

(also, sorry in advance if I've put this in the wrong place or broken any sort of rules by posting it here.)

2. Boufman

Boufman Black Hole Surfer

Ooh ooh, I wanna be your guide!!

3. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

I don't mind (Chuck Norris) here being your guide but, it's fairly straight forward; As GM, or more RP based, "Dungeon Master," you're responsible for the entire game world, what the player see's, finds, where they go to next, all the mobs/NPC's/monsters that the player will face, and combat, more or less. And... The rules. :p -- You play the world, NPC's, events, and rules, basically.

4. Boufman

As a guide I won't be actually participating in the rp. Also, I'll be giving him advice which he can choose to follow or not.

5. Meukleiker

Alright, thank you both, I'm still working on, well everything but as soon as I have enough written down I'll try to send it to you guys so you can see if it's any good in ways of how a world should be.

6. Boufman

Aight, I'll be waiting.

7. critsarecool

critsarecool The Waste of Time

I believe there are one or two stickied posts for GM guides at the top page of the forum.

8. Boufman

Yes but then they would have to read it.

9. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

Reading the gm guide stickies would help with how you should do things, a guideline for that alright... How you're supposed to represent character sheets and to control the RP? We otherwise told Meukleiker what he'll be doing.... Which is everything except the actions of other players. :rofl:

10. Meukleiker

Sorry if this is taking me a while, if you guys want I could post the main back story to the RP.

I've gone into much more depth than I've hoped, as I've been coming up with ideas for a map, random encounters and how the character and item system will work.

(At this point, I might have enough to create a multiplayer text based game)

11. Boufman

More the detail the better the rp.

12. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

Well it's good that you're coming up with dungeons, events, and maps and all, so I'll note that if you ever get stuck and need a boost, try chaoticshiny.com - It's a straight generator, names, places, a couple maps, events, items, trivialities...
    Won't always be the best, but it's there. (For the medieval map, if you'd use that, I suggest making it large and dense, I think. That will give you many locations and generations, and a relatively good scale of a distance between points of interest.) - I use it all the time with my friends... When they bug me to be DM :p

13. Meukleiker

I thought now would be a good time to post some sort of an idea as to what I'm working on, so here goes:

Basic Back story & Concepts:

Story:

(Exactly How I Wrote It)
    Opening will tell of how an unknown object was approaching the colony ship, and a group of volunteers chose to head out in a mining ship to destroy it before it's impact with the ship. However, as the explosives went off, the "debris" imploded; causing a wave of energy to pulse through the colony ship. Upon the volunteers return to the ship, the "party" finds that the majority of those on the ship have lost almost all mental capacity and reason, turning them feral. To save them, and the ship, they must wait for the ship to reach its destination, then return to a friendly system for retrieval of the ship and its occupants.

Concepts:

So far this is what I've come up with in ways of basic concepts and ideas for the RP:

-RP-ers will have a choice of 3 custom "past" perks that pertain to their background. However, if found to be too OP, I will change the perception of it. Ex: "100% increase in all stats" will be "Any increases in stats will double, but last half as long"

-RP-ers will have 1 choice of "employment" perks, which will be chosen from a set list of given jobs.

-RP-ers will be given a number of points to put into a number of skills. Once set, the only way to increase them will be by temporary means or practicing it for X number of days for an increase of X%.

-The RP itself will be dealt with in real time. While they cannot die or be injured, events will still happen and stats might decrease depending on the event or time passed.

-If traveling alone, info on the travel will only be posted if said person wants to tell it. If traveling as a group, info will be posted on the main page of the RP.

-If/when beaten in combat, % chance to escape, but if it fails, player will fall unconscious. They will wake after a set amount of time or until found by another party member.

-Sanity will be a persisting stat to be dealt with along with hunger and thirst. If it drops too low, RP-er will become delusional and being to see things.

Base Map Idea:

[​IMG]
    So pretty much the "party" would be staying in the small rounded end, which would be the back of the colony ship; the map only showing what one of seven floors would be.

The ship itself being 14 units by 20 units which the smallest sections (hallways) being 1u by Xu depending on length.

Different room Types:

Functional

Shield Generator
    Weapon Loading bay
    Munition Storage
    Armory (ies)
    Medical Bay
    Targeting Systems

Life Support Systems

Crew Quarters
    Gravity Control
    Rec. Room
    Cafeteria
    Food Storage
    Water Filter/Pump
    Air Filter/Pump
    Waste Disposal
    Bio Farms

Operational Systems

Engine Control Room
    Navigation Controls
    Energy Systems
    Communication Room
    Engineering Bay
    Cargo Bay
    Docking Stations
    Escape Pods
    Maintenance Hatches
    Laboratory (ies)

It still has a lot of work to be done, but progress is progress, and I hope to have it working ASAP. Until then, any ideas would help and feedback is always welcomed!

14. critsarecool

Seems like a very ambitious goal! For unconcious part, I think half an hour would be the max time, any longer would discourage people from taking risks. Sounds very technical on some parts as well, so right up my alley. All in all, seems like a great frame, now it just needs some polishing.

15. Meukleiker

Like I said, just some basic ideas that I came up with in time during/between classes.

Also, what do you mean by half an hour would be the max time? (elaborate)

16. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

I believe Crits means 30 minutes in real time at most otherwise the participants will get bored and leave.
    I have an app around that I worked on that would help with generation of stats quickly, albiet it's not the best and the stats are nameless (other than "stat 1, stat 2") but it otherwise would be usefull for spreading stats into different points in an NPC that you encounter.
    If you don't mind a bit of trivial criticism, the object/debris thing, implosions are basically an explosion, but the force goes inwards, or towards the center, a pulse wave, I don't really see spreading outward from an implosion as such.
    I'd also share with you one of my other apps I'm working on but I'm kind of procrastinating on the terrain gen and doubt it would be ready any time soon.

17. critsarecool

I think it would make a bit more sense if the meteor had something in it tgat exploded, maybe an experimental weapon that was forgotten, something like that.

18. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

Maybe a missile from a cloaked craft if sensors would otherwise pick it up, the meteor is of some strange material that cannot be picked up by scanners, a missile that's designed to be cloaked or hidden in some way, etc.... All good ideas I think.
    To fit along with the explosive pulse wave thing, there would have to be some (clean) but volatile material within either missile or asteroid to do so... Most likely in the missile of course. :p
    An implosion would most likely be a sort of singularity however, which would be a black hole, which would be rather over powered and would probably destroy the ship too overall. :p At least however, the black hole should be undetected by sensors.