A great review that I feel offers some good constructive criticism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GreenWombat, Apr 6, 2016.

1. GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

I'm hoping CA has either seen this video or sees it because I feel it's a great review of the game that offers some good constructive criticism.

• TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

I like it. It covered a lot of complaints I have about the game, as well as something I never really thought about - certain resources SHOULD be stored universally rather than in your inventory. I wonder how hard that would be to change/mod in.

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

Ooooh, good video, thank you for sharing and it would be nice for CA to see this. I hold a lot of the same opinions, but I think I bought the game when a lot of those weird marriage bugs were fixed. I like the ideas he had about fishing and the inventory thing is so true it hurts. I hate going to the carpenter's shop to buy a new building, only to realize I had left some stone or something back at my house and I have to walk all the way back to get it. Raw materials like that should absolutely just stay in your invo forever. I can understand having chests, but I'm starting to get to that point where I have chests everywhere and it's hard to make everything look nice. x_x

Either way, the game is amazing, and I hope to see a lot of improvements and additions.

• SmaugBaggins

SmaugBaggins Existential Complex

That is a good review i like it

• Tyrian

Tyrian Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I very much agree with what he's bringing up in the video.
            Never had problems with my chests and finding items, though... I suppose that is due to me being used to organizing items by type into different chests from other games like Minecraft, Terraria and Starbound.l, where you also have a to of items to sort into chests.

• Omnislash024

Omnislash024 Big Damn Hero

I try to limit item types to each chest, so I know where they are. (Resource chest, Seed Chest.)

But yes, things do start getting bogged down. I really wish at the very least there was a lumber/stone Perm inventory, that you could just use when you need it. How many times have I gone to the carpenter and forgotten the damn wood?
              I do wish the animal products would sell more too. But then again, I suppose you can use the machines to yield higher product. Tho one item for each machine, when you have multiple crops and have to wait for it to process. So if you want more, you have to make more machines.

I disagree with the friendship stuff. You can really take your time with it. Just walk around town and talking with people everyday raises up hearts (slowly). But there are gifts just laying around that you can give. For the most part, just do the optional timed quests they post and give them nice gifts on each of the birthdays. You'll find most villagers will be around 4-5 hearts by the second year. ( I make them chocolate cake by the way.)

Haven't gotten to Marriage yet and yes it doesn't really have an ending, but when you've pretty much done everything that's when it's time to make a new game.

• GreenWombat

While I'm okay with friendship building taking a while it does bug me that it is very much gift based. Like he said in the video the fact that building relationships is based more on giving gifts than talking to them and going through events or other social possibilities is not great way to handle things. Not to mention that the gift giving is almost completely trial and error as it isn't common to get a comment about what someone likes and there's no in game way of keeping track of likes and dislikes once you've found them.

Plus the further issue of just walking around and talking to people is there isn't enough depth or variety in what they often say meaning that the entire social aspect ends up coming down to 90% busy work with the occasional heart event which actually matters. It just turns the social side of the game into a chore as you just grind out friendship hoping to get a brief moment of actual content.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

This is you isn't it

• GreenWombat

No. Just a video from a youtuber I stumbled across.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

spouses now still have some personality even after they marry u!
                      yay!

also the game's quite easy to mod.
                      its not an excuse for a lack of polish, but its a good way to change a few things on ur second play through, or to fix that one bit that is annoying you to no end.
                      things like conveyor belts and automated machines, to easier or harder fishing

google and get jsgme if you plan to dive into the deep end of modding.
                      its a good folder manager that helps with activating and deactivating multiple mods.