Dev Blog 7th April – Manipulate What Matters

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Apr 7, 2016.

1. mastercookie

mastercookie Existential Complex

i really hope its A to jump, X to attack control scheme. never was a fan of jumping with triggers or bumpers in 2d

lemon flavoured likes this.
  2. Thomas25181

Thomas25181 Void-Bound Voyager

Loving the new Website!

3. DrAxelface

DrAxelface Space Hobo

Looking forward to the XBONE version, but... would it be possible for you to add a controller option to the PC version? For various reasons (skipping the mouse/keyboard vs controller debate) it would just be a nice to have feature and if you've been working on the XBONE version then I'm guessing you've come up with a workable controller scheme? Cheers :D

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well, I really like that approach to the MM a whole lot better. Instead of linear it is defined by personal priority choice. Going to enjoy that.

Nice to also hear of the xbox one coming to. Nice to see some branching out. Too bad I don't own one yet, but still something to look forward to when I do; among a lot of the other games I have seen... :nuruhappy:

5. Tweak

Tweak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not of one mind about this. The early build(s) I played (when the story was generally about being stranded in space for X reason and survival mechanics were the default) made enough sense where the tech progression from primitive to advanced was concerned. As I understand it, though, the story has changed significantly, and survival is no more than an optional mode/setting.

Plus, there's always the matter of branding/iconography. Starbound was somewhat lacking in a unique and unifying symbol. The matter manipulator is more than an in-game tool. Personally, I would have preferred it to be the end-game reward; the thing that really unlocks the "sandbox" in terms of creative power - but I'm not the least bit surprised that they wouldn't deny consumers the main selling point until X manhours were invested in the game.

Sure, we can all hope and dream that small teams might make games for the love of the game, regardless of their appeal. But big business games demand more accessibility.

6. Corverean

Corverean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe there could be a focus upgrade that makes the Shift click of the matter manipulator more powerful?

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  7. ImDaMisterL

ImDaMisterL Void-Bound Voyager

I can see this shaping up to becoming a great upgrade system...

8. Gurfern

Gurfern Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, I found an error with starbound unstable. When I launch the launcher from steam, the part of the launcher that should display info and stuff is grayed out. If I click "Launch Starbound", the window will open, but instantly close. If I click "Launch Starbound 64-bit", It launches, but there's none of the missions or anything. Anyone else getting the same error?

9. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

This looks really great, Thing is will it be possible to include the ability to change the size and strength of the manipulator? I remember mentions of it eventually having an option to fully change both size and strength at any time, But i have yet to see any mention of that becoming possible since then.

10. madkatter25

madkatter25 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ohhhhh gosh!!!! i am so psyched for 1.0 to come out <3
    been a loyal starbounder since early on in the game, so its great seeing the progress it has made :)! :fishbowl: :3 :kitten:

11. BillySoul

BillySoul Big Damn Hero

As cool as it is that Starbound is coming out on XB1, I am curious, will there be a PS4 version of Starbound as well? If there is, that would be great for me and my friends who all play on PS4 and don't actual own an XB1.

12. Osucarus

Osucarus Astral Cartographer

having an options is always the best design

13. are starbound gona be on xbox360 aswell????
    sorry for bad english

14. Godsire88

Godsire88 Big Damn Hero

I just wish you guys woulda tried to make Starbound for Playstation also....

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  15. TTStooge

TTStooge Big Damn Hero

They didn't say they wouldn't, as far as I'm aware.
    They'll most likely do it some time in the future.

16. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

Looks awesome!

The new site made me want to buy the game all over again :D

And that matter manipulator interface is beautiful.

I've never been this excited for a game before, and i'm still waiting for FFXV so that says a lot :)

Kexy Knave likes this.
  17. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

module suggestion: anti-gravity! phase one would be loose objects affected by physics, such as sand and pebble.. and maybe liquids if the sucker module isn't selected. phase two, objects, without having to destroy them. they'd shake violently while you move them but it wouldn't break - chests, ceiling fans, lights (that still emit light!)... and then finally phase three: anything! from solid walls to animals and people -- all, except bedrock.

footnote, anything affected would have a sort of.. lightning effect surrounding the whole thing. also, moving the cursor too fast would 'let go' of the object, as it can't be moved too quickly. on a related note, grabbed terrain maintain its solid state, so you can't move things through walls unless there's a hole. (it would also stop missiles or bullets from hitting you if it's on the path... hinthint.) and lastly, you would only be able to move unlocked objects and tiles; no dungeon tiles or anything locked in that way.

18. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It's something they're going to consider post-1.0.

19. Darkwhip

Darkwhip Subatomic Cosmonaut

The concept is good and a lot more if we take in the possibility to produce electricity (Makes me remember a mod I can't remember the name) producing electricity would be a nice aspect to the colony system. It doesn't need to be complicated.

20. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

the little bits of starbound on the screen make me existed because i think i see some sort of weird alien creature that you may be able to ride on. oh wait its just kingdom :(

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016