Dev Blog 5th February - The Taming of the Crew

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Not really sure what the difference is between them and the USCM, especially when many human civilians seem to believe the USCM is reposible for protecting earth from threats, which kinda defeats the purpose of a "Earth Protectorate" force.

2. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Okay, this is nice. I'll just get a few guards with Tier 6 armor and take them with me. I'm glad they'll respawn, because NPCs tend to go Leeroy Jenkins and end up Slippy Toad. I'll still treat them like teammates instead of redshirts. I'll actually get a proper doctor instead of the Apex villager I'm pretending is our doctor. Yeah, this could turn out awesome.

3. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I think it was more that they were original space faring force defending humans, but they were more so xenophobic and tore off to become the "unofficial" defenders of humanity. The protectorate seems to be the same but seems to be more on a galactic scale without being xenophobic

4. Keroro04

Keroro04 Poptop Tamer

Does this mean we can recruit Alpaca and Agaran Tenants?

5. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

So is that a yes to having an alpaca as my co-pilot?

Superfast103 likes this.
  6. Armybeast18

Armybeast18 Space Hobo

Hey, big fan of the game. I was wondering if mabey you could add an intergated mod creator, like you make the art and stats of items? I was also wondering if you could add an ability to host a gmae through Steam, like what Terraria just added? Thanks, and great game, one of my favorties.

7. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

dammit you said the question i was gonna ask before i did :nurusad:

8. Godsire88

Godsire88 Big Damn Hero

Wow....I apologize for my own stupidity there....I haven't played Starbound for a while and have been taking a break from it so I guess I've gotten out of the mix of things...so sorry....and Thanks Scival

9. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I imagine they wouldn't go full on FTL with space combat, but for a game like Starbound I think a top-down style of combat would be the best approach. Makes me think how in-depth such a system would go. It could be like FTL in which every star system has a different race controlling it (with the initial star system being a civil system, and the late-game systems being controlled by hostile factions like the USCM.

It would definitely make Starbounding more fun. If we had to jump between planets like we do in FTL, experiencing different events at every beacon, it would give space much more of a spotlight. And then if we got damaged we could simply land on whatever planetary system we happen to be near and gather the materials to repair the ship. It'd be even cooler if we had to get more systems as time went along.

Kelthazan likes this.
  10. Keroro04

Keroro04 Poptop Tamer

I think the same thing, but USCM wouldn't be the only hostile faction. There is still Big Ape, Kleux, Dreadwing, and that horror that destroyed Earth during the Human Prolouge that could make up Hostile Factions. There also could be ally systems, such as ones controlled by Greenfinger or Hiraki or the Novakids, which could make it pretty epic. Plus if Starbound ever makes a eighth playable race, who knows what could be added as factions?

11. scaper12123

The one thing I imagine the devs having trouble with if they tried implementing something like this is the Novakid ship. I mean, how are you going to gonna get that to work in the context of a space battle? xD

12. renbear

renbear Cosmic Narwhal

SHUT UP, Wesley!

13. Keroro04

Keroro04 Poptop Tamer

I'm sure they'll find a way if they implement it.

14. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Hmm, what if there was a novakid ship train going at warp speed through a ship scrapyard just smashing through everything and if they ever stop they're all going to die and then they can just train all the enemies to death?

15. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

Then I guess we're both In the same boat. We both want an Alpaca as our best friend and Shipmaster. All hail the Alpacian overlord!

Superfast103 likes this.
  16. doctorqueue

doctorqueue Scruffy Nerf-Herder

awesome but again about the nightly i made a new charater and i STILL dont have a matter mulipuator

17. Hajlakan

Hajlakan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When i start a new game the matter manipulator is not given to me. Does anyone know what causes this?

18. Reminder that, as always, the nightly build isn't guaranteed to work or be bug-free!
    You don't get the Matter Manipulator in the nightly build because the intro quest is disabled (spoilers!) - but you can spawn it in admin mode.

Type /admin
    Type /aicommand giveBeamaxe

Voila! :rainbowbarf:

19. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

probably /aicommand upgradeBeamaxe9 might be a good idea too.

20. scaper12123

I mean more like how would the ship be laid out in terms of everything that would need to be on it? If you ask me, something like a space traveling minigame would be wasted potential if it was just the normal hacky-slashy overworld combat. There should be some unique twist to it. That's why I think something like FTL-style combat would be fun. That's just one way to do it, in fairness, but it's a thought.