4th August Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Aug 5, 2013.

1. AbeLincolnstein

AbeLincolnstein Void-Bound Voyager

And a step jump (whoops) to the Riiii-iii-iii-iight.

shawnaswenson likes this.
  2. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The only beef I have is that night is TOO dark. It's fine to have night be that dark at the beginning of the game, but if it's that dark at level 100 when I'm desperately vying for survival against mad hordes of bloodthirsty mobs, it's going to be extremely obnoxious. So is there an item (like nightvision goggles or something?) to make it so that one can see at night? I would really rather not have to keep crafting consumable night-vision POTIONS just to be able to explore without being tethered to my house.

3. Jesse955

Jesse955 Orbital Explorer

There could be different kinds of suns that change the lighting effects, like having a blue sun and the light would be sorta blue or a red dwarf sun and the light would be red. Also, maybe have different planets have different time schedules, some days would be longer or shorter on other planets. Or have a planet with 2 suns.

4. MoonRoc

MoonRoc Tentacle Wrangler

Does that message come up every time you do the time warp?

5. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

They're already doing most of this. They have colored lighting based on the sun-type, and the sun-type is (can you guess!?): procedurally generated! \0/

tassina likes this.
  6. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

More than one screenshot and it isn't a repost?

:DD

tassina and Silvestre like this.
  7. Jesus

Jesus Void-Bound Voyager

That little symbol near the chat window is probably the chat range: galaxy, local, party, system, planet and private. It's on the Starbound roadmap. (For anyone who's wondering.)

tassina likes this.
  8. masher14

masher14 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh my goddamn god. I've said it before but holy crap your game is freaking beautiful.

9. SerinityFyre

SerinityFyre Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just simply can't wait to play!

10. Cronotrigger

Cronotrigger Big Damn Hero

Hmm im like it Dark why not you got Torches ; Lamps Campfires usw..... to light up the place and your way if you can see without these why you should need them then?. Ok maybe on the surface on some Planets it may be bright enough to see but i hope.

shawnaswenson and tassina like this.
  11. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

Your profile pic makes it look like you truly are extremelly disapointed (maybe you are, I dunno). :rofl:

12. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

"Hey guys. Instead of directly advancing towards the release of the game, We ditched the monster generation system and added AN ENTIRELY NEW ONE! : D"
    But no, in all total seriousness, The old system from what we were shown was pretty basic so this is really going to help out! I just had to say the above for the sake of humor. Love the lighting system! And keep up the awesome work!

tassina likes this.
  13. Frenzlin

Frenzlin Title Not Found

:O

I think that sums me up.

14. Vession

Vession Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Night looks fine to me, I wish more games kept their dark nights past the playtesting phase when everyone gets annoyed with it, because I personally like night time to look like night time instead of a permanent dusk. I'd be surprised, however, if there weren't some way to enhance vision in the dark, or if it stayed that way for long.

tassina and killpay like this.
  15. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

TBH i don't like one bit the color change with time thingie.
    I like different color light like lava, colored lamps, colored torches, colored candles, disco balls etc, but when it comes to playing, i want a white light to see the real colors of my character... I hope that changing the overall light color is optional :(
    BTW! NIGHT IS TOOOOO DAMN DARK! D:

16. Shhmio

Shhmio Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Atleast we know it runs on a mac :D

SamuraiJack7 and tassina like this.
  17. Murkiness

Murkiness Space Spelunker

Oh man! :saywhat: All those colors!
    This game should be exciting. :up:

18. ha4841234

ha4841234 Subatomic Cosmonaut

hmm nice to see variety(not saying there was not already a lot! ). Any way keep up the good work.
    ps: when will the beta be released?

19. Strategize

Strategize Space Hobo

Ikr? I'm so stoked! :D

20. SnakeX

SnakeX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The lighting looks fantastic, nice to see it all come together finally! It'll add a whole new layer of immersion for each planet, which is never a bad thing.

And I'm about to burst out laughing at the people complaining that night time is too DARK. Are you serious? Do any of you step outside of your homes at night? Of course it's going to be dark, the devs should absolutely not make night time brighter just to hold people's hands because things might be slightly inconvenient. You're just going to have to deal with it. And considering that the game features a huge variety of lighting options, I highly doubt not being able to see at night will be a long lasting problem.

tassina, GlofGalorsh and somers27 like this.