3D printing blocks, as well as decorations?

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Shasta, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Shasta

Shasta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, recently i've been in the building phase after hoarding a shitload of items. Basically, am I missing something or is it impossible to 3D print blocks outside of what you can aquire from the 3D printer? I would love to have a good method of acquiring blocks to build that aren't restricted from a predetermined set of only a few blocks.

I understand that there are a lot of things that you should not be able to 3D print, the obvious being weapons, ores, etc. But seeing as we can already print a selection of blocks, I wouldn't mind seeing us able to print a wider variety of them.

General Nuclear and Verion like this.
  2. Engezerstorung

Engezerstorung Aquatic Astronaut

you need to scan news item first, like if you found a fancy door, scan it (its destroyed in the process) and then you can print it

3. Supersonicsid

Supersonicsid Subatomic Cosmonaut

He wants to print BLOCKS not doors and furniture,atm there is no way of doing this.

General Nuclear and cheeseywiz98 like this.
  4. taikina

taikina Subatomic Cosmonaut

i wish you could print blocks, i don't want to tear down all micro dungeons i come across. i don't want to tear down ANY towns or bases, rather i want to build my bases next to them and be like "hey neighbor"

5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm not sold on them being 3D Printable, but at the very least, you should learn the ability to craft most "normal" blocks after either picking up key ingredients or blueprints or, in some cases, the blocks themselves.

I kinda feel like blocks from special areas like the Outpost and Mining Facility, you need to find microdungeons with them then gather the blocks, THEN you have the ability to make them from crafting materials. Maybe lump the Pipes in with this.

But Bamboo, Thatch, Wicker, Bridge Block, Soft Brick, Painted Brick? Your rather common building materials? Yeah, you should be able to craft your own without tearing apart someone's town.

Eisengreifer likes this.
  6. Shasta

Shasta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

At the very least there should be a rare item hidden in those areas, like the blueprints, for the bricks contained within.

7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, there's a Mushroom Block blueprint, so it's not out of the question. I'd be fine with that solution for slightly more exotic blocks.

Any rate, given they've been talking about implementing a building/renting progression path, for those who are less about the tomb raiding and monster-slaying, I imagine we'll be seeing more work along these lines demi-soonish.

8. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I would love to have printable blocks; I really don't want to find 500 outpost minidungeons to build something outpost-y without admin commands.

I tried modding a block to be printable once; it didn't work too well.

9. Teh Freek

Teh Freek Void-Bound Voyager

The magnetic crucible is even described as "This device can break down materials and turn them into far stronger ones.". If that doesn't sound like it can take cobblestone and tar and turn it into heavy stone brick then I don't know what could.

Adamiks likes this.
  10. cheeseywiz98

cheeseywiz98 Void-Bound Voyager

I really don't want to find 500 outpost microdungeons to add more of those column-blocks to my ship. :cry:

11. taikina

it makes sense for copper and iron to be used for blocks/pipes/platforms in some future update. after you dont need iron equipment anymore its onyl good for pixels or furniture. probably all sorts of blocks will be craftable too but it would be fun to be able to reduce any blocks into pixels and make pixels into any blocks (this would be at a loss similar to pixel->voxel transformation but would be a handy tool for massive builds and to get an extra buck while disposing block types you wouldn't need at the moment(nnnot to mention an average post-scarcist consumer/spacehobo should be able to do this if they can also teleport to a personal bio-signal locking-on ship in orbit and travel FOR FREE within A SOLAR SYSTEM))

12. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

You can't pixel print blocks, other than what's given to you when you obtain the portable pixel printer. There are a few other block types you can create at a crafting table, such as flesh blocks from flesh strands, bone blocks from bones, or mushroom blocks from mushrooms, but other than that, nada.

If you want to use a specific block for construction, you need to loot that block from an existing source of it - such as tearing down a Glitch Castle to get stone blocks and stone brick, or an Avian Temple to get Temple Brick.

If you want to 3D print other blocks, ask in the suggestion section, under Blocks and Crafting.

13. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Moved to suggestions :)

14. shardshunt

shardshunt Cosmic Narwhal

15. Rika

Rika Void-Bound Voyager

SUPER agree, not to mention a lot of the blocks, like the bricks and outpost block, take *ages* to mine, even with a fully upgraded MM, I'd just rather be able to craft them if only to save on time lmao.

16. Adamiks

Adamiks Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sorry for posting in old topic but i just wanted to say that i still would like to see printable blocks... It's just seems rudicolous that you can print every furniture from dungeon but you can't print blocks. I have MULTUM of furnitures but almost 0 blocks to build anything in that theme with these items. In general - without blocks being printable a lot of people will not build any theme buildings or will destroy every dungeon (which is really stupid, btw. i don't think i need to say it). Seriously, CF is adding so many furnaces set when player don't have basic blocks to use these furnaces... It's just hilarious and doing that they litterally make useles updates. Hating isn't my point here but i must say that it's just a fact that CF really often make things from other way than they should (= they add something before adding something more important/they add something before fixing old things etc. It's their game - i understand, but because CF is working like that Starbound is still really unplayable due to a lot of things added that aren't really finished).

17. taikina

updates aren't pointless.

i don't like how, at this point if you want to build anything great you just go around demolishing everything anyone else built in the universe. then in the last building in existence, you're there all "I DID IT ,'D"

18. Adamiks

Adamiks Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was talking about pseudo-updates = posts in main page about what they're doing and for the most time they're making furnaces :)

19. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YES PLEASE MAKE PRINTABLE BLOCKS! I cannot tell you how annoying it is to be building with the fancy apex plating (which takes forever to mine even WITH full upgrades) an wind up short a couple of blocks. THEN I have to scour the universe for a dungeon to get more from.

Adamiks likes this.
  20. Verion

Verion Intergalactic Tourist