31st July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Flannicus90

Flannicus90 Subatomic Cosmonaut

W

Sounds like someone got their hands on a super secret beta invite! Go you!
    No one ever said that the durability was to "prevent" vertical mining. It was simply an incentive to not end-game rush. I don't like the durability system being only on tools. I believe it to hamper mining while not really providing that much of an incentive to explore. I'm not going to blast it though, because everyone is basing all their judgements of it based on 3 or 4 sentences from the devs. In addition, this can be tweaked before beta or release. So we agree that the durability system needs at least an overhaul, although your view is vehemently against such a system at all. I can respect those feelings.

These "realism sliders" have been brought up before, by others, but since you are the most recent I will direct my constructive criticism at you. How would the "realism sliders" affect others on multiplayer, or LAN games? Having durability disabled for one person would give them a bit of an advantage, wouldn't you say? That being said, it could be a server host setting for the entire world, perhaps, but when you put in that many options for something like this, the devs point of view is weakened by simply bowing to the needs of the mob, rather than (as they are currently doing) polishing, testing, tweaking, repeat.

Separate creative and survival modes? Go back to McEdit for Minecraft. Some of us like our games to be well-thought out and more than a 2d scope. See the end of the above paragraph for my reasoning against all these "settings" being put into the game.

You have a good point on hellevator correction. Some have mentioned pressurized suits that require upgrades, a layer that is impossible to mine without certain tools, etc. I am confused as to how bringing water down inside the crust would make it easier to mine? For heat purposes?

Thanks and have a good day!

Gene likes this.
  2. Flannicus90

Could you loan me your beta code, dear sir? I want to playtest too!
    Refraining from blasting others' capabilities to "understand" you doesn't make you look smarter, just meaner. I would rather appear less intelligent than less kind-hearted.

3. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

A few things, when you quote someone who has wrote a long statement, shorten it down. It makes for proper etiquette. And please do not double post, it makes for poor etiquette. And what I said was not mean, I apologized to that person because they misunderstood. It's proper to apologize during a misunderstanding.

As for what you had to say, Tiyuri (Chucklefish lead developer) himself has stated the purpose of durability is to limit downward tunneling. That is why it relates only to tools and not weapons. It is a means to an end.

As for having early beta access... unfortunately no, I do not. I simply realize that there is a demand for a better durability system (obvious, look at how verbal the community is) and I am rising to the challenge.

And as for the separate gameplay modes. It's fairly certain that there will be at least two major types of Starbound players: the sandbox players, and the survival players. It's also fairly obvious they don't want to be grouped together, whenever something like this comes up you can see the divide. So two modes must be the answer, not compromise.

Thank you for your concerns and point of view.

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Flannicus90

Hope that worked correctly.
    Tone doesn't translate over the internet, and to my mind it sounded sarcastic. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not used to hearing someone apologize for something like that from their point of view.
    The beta comment was a jest, good sir.
    Limiting could be different than preventing. Preventing implies that one is stopping something in its entirety, limiting means to reduce but not eliminate. It could be a simple matter of understanding each others vernacular, but wordings are important. :D

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. patchestheshark

patchestheshark Master Chief

This is how durability should be done not "Oh yeah I got the single best item in the game I'm invincible" *20 minutes later* "Where did my wonderful stuff go" in Starbound you get a decent item and your like "Oh this i pretty cool" and then Proceeds to use it then you notice "oh why isn't this working at well" looks at you item up at the top of the screen and notices the durability is drained "Oh Ok so my tool needs sharpened" :D THAT IS DURABILITY DONE RIGHT (unlike a certain voxel based game :( i still love you but don't make me lose my wonder pickaxe cause it broke mining up stone that is kinda wrong don't you think?)

riseoflegends and Axe Garian like this.
  6. Ragnaman

Ragnaman Space Spelunker

Soo, you already have access to the full version of the game ?
    I am all for realism: gravity, sun-flares, atmospheric pressure (your post), durability, hunger, survival, diseases/sickness, etcetera...
    ...but none of these are specifically aimed at the "hellavator" question, but are separate features entirely.

Heck, I would even say, allow people to dig hellavators, there are infinite amount of planets and I doubt that there will be much point to create hellavators on any of them as materials are different on planet type, and less on depth.

Maybe we were just used too much to the Terraria/minecraft system. Good example was meteorites and spawned ores, as they required some progression to get them. Although, still, people usually just rushed past copper, iron, silver...not sure how to deal with that (unless they are made useful in various recipes).

Cruellyricisti and Axe Garian like this.
  7. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Funnily enough, I too tend to try to rush past the Copper/Iron/Silver & go for the Gold Stuff till I can defeat the EoW twice for full Shadow Armor that lasts me till the Underworld... yet ironically, I shun Potion Recipes that use Metal Ore cause Metal Ore is a non-renewable resource in vanilla legit play, especially Gold Ore eating Spelunker Potions. :ssssssssss:

Even if it's a Large World, the knowledge that something is a non-renewable resource makes me paranoid about using that Resource & risking permanent never having it available ever again... :eek:

8. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Pshhh, I wish. That stuff is all basic Earth science. Wouldn't be too much to mimic it in the game though.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. GamerDude68

GamerDude68 Space Spelunker

Awesome Job Tiy! I Completely Support The Durability System!

10. Ragnaman

Ragnaman Space Spelunker

I know what you mean, but then again you can use your character to... 1) prepare some equipment for exploration 2) travel to different planes of existence (create a new world) 3) dig around n stuff 4) go back to "home" plane. No way you can run out of basic materials.

Edit: Didnt mention I was talkin about terraria :p

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Cristoph888

Cristoph888 Star Wrangler

Pretty sure by biomes they mean actual biomes. Essentialy different enviroments such as tundra or plains. Though uses of the term differ.

12. gnomemcbendyknees

gnomemcbendyknees Void-Bound Voyager

good job guys