22nd May - Pod chests!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 22, 2015.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Last I checked, the tenant database is asking for tags that no longer exist — the Human Villager tenant for example wants one light, one door, and one generic. However, the light tags have been removed in the last update:
    Code:
    objects\generic\floodlights\floodlights.object
    3c3
    <   "tags" : ["generic","light"],
    ---
    >   "tags" : ["human","humanbunker","naturalcave"],

objects\generic\fluorescentlight\fluorescentlight.object
    3c3
    <   "tags" : ["generic","light"],
    ---
    >   "tags" : [],

Varixai and The | Suit like this.
  2. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Ok, so they're just temporarily broken in nightly. Thank you.

3. JamesConway0013

JamesConway0013 Void-Bound Voyager

4. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...MM upgrades in chests seems like it could potentially be a pain, unless coffeequest was changed to not require liquid collection...
    (Or something else was changed that I missed.)

5. Adivia

Adivia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've had this problem with nightly that I won't get it to start. Unstable works just fine but with nightly it won't even open the launcher :/

6. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Try updating nightly, then running Starbound directly from the files in your win32 (or whatever you use) of Starbound.

7. Adivia

Adivia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok, I'll try[DOUBLEPOST=1432566355][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thanks! Now it's working

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  8. Psychic_Kid

Psychic_Kid Orbital Explorer

oh now this is something interesting, now we have a use for those laser diodes, chips, and wires when we end up raiding a human military outposts. and i agree, some of them should be able to be bought in the outpost somewhere, well not TOO much or we'll just grind for pixels

9. FuzionReaktor

FuzionReaktor Void-Bound Voyager

I know it's a bit hard for the mods to know but any idea if there's plans to integrate content from Metadept's old Starfoundry mod into the actual game content in the near future?

10. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Tiyuri on reddit: "We plan to add pumps/air locks at some point."

Tiyuri on reddit: "metadept really wants to [add automated mining/farming tools] (as he worked on starfoundry), if we can make it user friendly enough we'll likely include some automation."

Tiyuri on reddit: "Additional advanced wiring complexity is one of Kyren's personal desires."

n1t3n, Beatrice, Dunto and 1 other person like this.
  11. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just want to say that I am very happy with this game and how far it has come. Yeah we may not get stable updates often but we get enough news on what is going to come that when we finely get to it in stable we are not derping around wondering what we need to do. A lot of games in beta and alpha out there do not do that and ultimately they get left behind by there fans.

12. Silvador

Silvador Phantasmal Quasar

I... am honestly not sure how I feel about these changes. For one, I liked finding and collecting all the various types of chests. Some of them were super neat and gave the impression of "someone was once here and stashed cool stuff away and I found it". Not to mention... I just worked my ass of upgrading all my stuff. These changes just seem counterproductive to me and pointlessly negating a lot of effort that people would be putting into the game to progress.

13. firekirby135

firekirby135 Big Damn Hero

Hey @Kawa , found another one. You still got them quotes handy from the copypasta the other day?

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Why use copypasta, Kirbs?
    Silvador, they're not replacing all of the wooden chests, and the wooden chests you already have are quite safe. You'll find wooden chests where wooden chests make sense and these new chests where they make sense. This has been explained so incredibly often.

15. intrepid-explorer

intrepid-explorer Phantasmal Quasar

I hereby grant permission for Chucklefish to use my quotes or modify them to their needs. That was easy.

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's basically what I did, and it was not enough.

17. jeffdee

jeffdee Aquatic Astronaut

"Status" pods?

Do you mean *stasis* pods?

18. Lilael

Lilael Aquatic Astronaut

If the idea is that these random chests on surfaces are out of place, does this mean unique surface biome chests get pod revamps too? Although if they were pods dropped from space, I don't see why they would be tailored to that biome unless they were to convey they've been in that biome awhile and changed. For example, flower pods having been over grown by flowers or ice pods having frozen chunks of ice on them. Random surface biome chests seem even more out of place when you get rid of all the common chests on the surface. I wouldn't want to see themed chests go though. I love the different styles, whether they're found on the surface, in homes, or deep underground.

Also will the pods be the same dimensions as present chests? Will they hold the same amount and be the same size, allowing for sensible storage use? If I can fit three chests in a row, I'd hope to fit three pods in a row while using the same space..

19. firekirby135

firekirby135 Big Damn Hero

Nope. Status Pod:
    [​IMG][DOUBLEPOST=1432655176][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I don't think biome chests will be changed at all. Maybe the designs, but I doubt they'll be removed altogether.
    As for the chests, they appear to be the same dimensions as a large chest, so I would suspect they'd have as much storage space as a large chest.

20. dhxmg

dhxmg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ohhh, rewards for exploring, that makes me super happy :D