Dev Blog 22nd January - Broom for Improvement

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

I smell a troll.. better leave and ignore this guy..

2. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

Agh! Well, ladies and gents, i seem to have survived the forum wipe, with that "AGH"Being my reaction to this. And now, my traditional continuation of listing Just Whats Wrong.
    If you recognize me, then i'm surprised. I assure you, i mean no harm.
    One issue i see here so far is, simply, survival. I have never dropped items on death. Ever. The idea of doing so just scares me more than half to death.
    What i basically remember from the earliest days of starbound was like this. I'd considered the no-itemloss an improvement, But this is like going back to the
    bad-ol-days.

Great, now i'm the weird old man who rambles at nothing. Anyways.
    To whomever is reading this, here are my fears for starbound, organized and listed.
    (Please do not continue unless you want to read the random fearful ramblings of an over-concerned longtime starbound fan.)

as an items collector and merchant, will farms aboard ships work?
    Is all this improvement really heading in the right direction? Are they sure of what they're doing with they're amazement of a game?
    Is molly the only one who likes updating constantly? Why aren't they talking about the issues and problems?
    wouldn't we feel much safer knowing what they were there, and are being worked on?
    Am i ruining everyone else's forum experience by posting this? ..(If so, by the way, i apologize.)
    Thank you for reading this. Please, feel free to dispute my claims. I would love to be proven wrong.

Ankali likes this.
  3. garr5051

garr5051 Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, I'll stop. I can be a bit of an idiot sometimes. I write, then I go back and I'm like: "Why did I write that?"

Crossfang likes this.
  4. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Yes, farms work on ships.
    I'm on the fence with the "improvements"... some are good, some are not. And some things just seem to be ignored.
    Molly is the community manager, so she is the one tasked with the updates that get told to us. And as far as problems... they tried that once, didn't end well.
    No one ruins anyone's forum experience unless they let them.... and this is the Internet, none of you have any power over me or my mood ;)

Oh, and welcome back!

5. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you, It's good to be back. though I'd better update my profile photo.
    Also, Nice to meet you! If you ever need an merchant's help, please feel free to ask!

6. newtonsolo313

newtonsolo313 Void-Bound Voyager

The Protectorate is not on Earth.
    Earth is dead.

7. Maxiplayer

Maxiplayer Subatomic Cosmonaut

*heavy breathing*

8. cnlu

cnlu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wait....hold on, hold on......
    starbound is made by using c++ ?

9. Orion_Pax

Orion_Pax Pangalactic Porcupine

Why she didnt wear pants? Or skirt. No wearing pants is fashionable on this planet or what?

10. jacobez

jacobez Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Finally I can name my character Roger Wilco! :DD

Orion_Pax likes this.
  11. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

If you are talking about the mod'able difficulty "code" i would assume thats a LUA script or some other script language (Since that would likely be the easiest way to make said thing mod'able). That said, im not sure what codeing language they use for starbound so it might very well be c++.

12. PureTalon

PureTalon Void-Bound Voyager

this new broom thing is probably the new Outpost

13. Valkyrie_pl

Valkyrie_pl Big Damn Hero

While clearly stated that those are not final, I feel obligated to mention that (most likely) quite a lot of players would like the survival elements present without some other penalties, namely a config like this:
    Code:
    whatever : {
    "hunger" : true,
    "allowBeamUnderground" : true,
    "deathDropItemTypes" : "none",
    "reviveCostAbsolute" : 0
    "reviveCostPercentile" : 0.3
    "permadeath" : false
    }
    Now a small explanation as to why I left the underground beam on. The reason is simple - its lack is simply a pain in the ass. Especially early game when you lack techs to move around and the very quest makes you go as deep into the planet as even possible. I welcomed the change in last version with a wide smile on my face. Having to get back out is just bad. It was the same in Terraria's early game before they introduced the beam home pots. It was just easier to die / relog than to make the trip yourself through a labyrinth. There's also no minimap, so getting lost is a possibility as well.

If you consider leaving underground beaming on as bad, then how about an item that can mitigate that, similar to Terraria's pots? Player could craft a portable one-use transmitter for "emergency" underground teleportation. Not too far in the tech tree and not too expensive, but still taking up inventory slot. If that would be the case, then giving one at the start along with the "harvest core fragments" mission would be a must as a life quality improvement.

DragonsForce and kazunenazumu like this.
  14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Starbound itself: definitely C++
    Modable scripts: Lua
    Modable data: JSON

So the game is C++, the difficulty data shown is JSON, and the broom is a bit of JSON and Lua, no C++.

15. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Kawa to the rescue.

16. codebracker

codebracker Subatomic Cosmonaut

Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling apex that isn't wearing pants.

17. cnlu

cnlu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

cool...i was just curious since the data codes looks familiar to me..

18. TheUberCannon

TheUberCannon Star Wrangler

So, you're going to tell me that this:
    [​IMG]
    Is finally going to be added as a second outpost?

19. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

IDK BUT I KNOW THE BROOMS ARE SO PIRATICH

kazunenazumu likes this.
  20. kazunenazumu

kazunenazumu Void-Bound Voyager

The difficulty option is kinda... weird, in my opinion.
    So like, if i were playing with my friend. and we're having a different difficulty option, say... i' m using a survival mode, and he's playing in a casual mode.
    say... i' m gonna die from starvation and he's just chillin' and jumping here and there, without a single thing to worry about. i' m not sure how to said it, it just... weird.
    How about the differences in the death penalty instead ? Like the amount of money dropped.

also to be able to beam up from underground without a cost makes the game kinda less challenging, totally agree with valkyria suggestion.
    Using a consumable item to teleport up sounds better, so you should do some preparation before go off to adventure. :nuruhappy: