Dev Blog 10th March - Is this the rail life?

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Challenge mode: Build the start of a powered rail on a magma planet, turn it on and build the rest of the rail as fast as you can without dying. If you make it all the way around you win.

2. Zephyrswhim

Zephyrswhim Space Hobo

Something I was thinking about that might be nice would be a way to transport liquids along these rails or attach different tools to them to be able to "automate" gardens and the like. I think it's pretty nice to be able to grow specific seeds to craft cool consumables (like my husband grows all the plants necessary to make burgers on his ship). If we were able to allow for liquids or tools to be attached to these rails, we would be able to have our gardens grow in the background while organizing a ship or visiting a garden planet. Especially with the way the gardens are currently set up, the rails might be a strong, viable system for keeping those growing without spending hours just watering.

Krabbe likes this.
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Simple math can answer that. The movement speed needs to be slower than clicking and holding the placement of the rails.

4. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe accelerator rails or decelerator rails would be good. maybe rails with higher or lower max speed would be good too. I’m also sure people would love if you added different styles for the platforms, rails and rail hooks

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  5. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

This is awsome! Just the kinda changes i allways wanted both for the skyrails and elevators. Thank you Metadept and anyone else that have hade a input on this system!

6. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As a pessimist being which always has a complaint about something... I'm totally satisfied with this update.

EDIT: Until I saw the Gutsman references. FLIPPING PLATAFORMS, PLEASE!

7. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Add some parts where you have to design said rail to avoid obstacles on the fly (going up and down and such) and it suddenly becomes a lot more intressting :D

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

kinda difficult, since in the current performance of stable, even run speed causes gaps to occur. not sure if optimization improves that.

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

With luck, the platform or hook might skip over those gaps if it goes fast enough.
    Are you sure? That one on top looks like a 90° corner to me:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    DragonsForce likes this.
  10. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love this elevator system. This is what I thought I was getting when elevators were add to nightly, but then I was disappointed when I saw what they really were. Now I'm excited got elevators again.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Metadept is a big show off with his fancy lua scripting and showing off amazing things.
    That is really just a fantastic rail system. Would be interesting to see dungeons with turrets on rails.

Pedro Falcão likes this.
  12. starmount23

starmount23 Intergalactic Tourist

HOW DO I MAKE THESE THINGS?!

13. ReijiGazpacho

ReijiGazpacho Big Damn Hero

I'm reminded of Mario 3 all of a sudden. :up:

Oberic likes this.
  14. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

I really like this new system. It saves the skyrails and is a massive upgrade to the elevator system. A simply genuis creation!

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  15. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

you know what this means we can recreate BIOSHOCK INFINITE with its sky rail sections

16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'd say that green thing might be an accelerator. if that's the case, does the lift function like a roller coaster and lose speed going up?

17. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

FINALLY! I'll be able to officially ditch the scourge of my high-tech space bunker-building existence: STAIRS.
    StairsofDoom.PNG
    This cannot hit stable soon enough.

On a side note, could those elevator platforms possibly be made in different sizes to accommodate thinner or wider corridors and tunnels?

DragonsForce likes this.
  18. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it's a switch, you can see it activate the lever/switch below the rails thus changing the track setup...

19. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Looks like the platforms are likely motorized.

20. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is this just fantasy? =3

Yarott likes this.