10th August - Manipulates anything that matters!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Entirely situational and entirely convenience.

Entirely convenience - they are not necessary. Don't mistake usefulness for necessity.

Tool merchants? You mean the tool merchant whose spawner can only be found in randomly generated chests and who only sells Flares and Bombs? Way to increase accessibility instead of, you know, keeping the recipes accessible to all players.

Um... no? I do not "lack some degree of understanding". It seems that you do. The Matter Manipulator, unupgraded and upgraded, breaks through less durable materials just fine while it tends to struggle with more durable materials, including magmarock, obsidian and other such stone. Picks and drills break through these materials very quickly but, due to their obscene nerfs, break extremely quickly

If the material is so weak as to not whittle down the drills durability in seconds, then you can just, you know, use the Matter Manipulator which will probably be just as fast. If you are using the drill on a more durable material (which is why you would want a speed boost in the first place), then it will definitely break shortly after you start - not even Diamond drills are durable enough for prolonged use. Most of the time, the extra inventory space from not bringing along a tool is better than having one just in case there is a time for a "speed boost".

The problem is, however, that "valuable substances" aren't found, generally, in "weaker materials". Before CF changed what kind of ores spawn on which level planet (much to my chagrin), the valuable substances were found deep in a world where Dirt and Dry Sand are not the primary components of the area. The deeper you go, the more durable the material around you and the greater amount of ores around you.

No, the significance is pretty much entirely gone now, aside from people who spawn the drills in. Their use was already drastically changed when they were nerfed into the ground between versions, and now that you can only find them through exploring... they're something you'll probably sell to the nearest merchant or a novelty you'll keep in your ship storage "just in case".

2. Halon

Halon Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think it's time to throw out tool variety just yet. It makes sense that it's the same tool but it would get rather confusing all the same! Couldn't the Matter Manipulator change configurations along with the modes? Like A triple diode emitter for paint mode or an extended focusing element for wire mode? I'm still rather fond of the toolbar variety. A completely static form for the ultimate multi tool makes no sense considering other super sci-fi Swiss Army knives.

3. WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

I like it. Much simpler than having three different tools.

4. Shador

Shador Subatomic Cosmonaut

Now The Matter manipulator really manipulates everything that matters!

5. NoiseHERO

NoiseHERO Title Not Found

have it shoot death lasers

6. Alfretron

Alfretron Void-Bound Voyager

like it, convenient, but what happens with the textures for the Wire and Paint Tool textures? Are they going down the toilet? Or are you gonna repurpose them for items or something?

7. Quite Quiet

Quite Quiet Aquatic Astronaut

Since the Matter Manipulator is so important can we customize it?

Picking the color would be great. Construction orange is appropriate and all, but it just isn't my color. I mean, it can basically do anything- except change it's own color?

8. ezkiel

ezkiel Orbital Explorer

I'd say great change but really the way it is this will get messy really fast with amount of hot keys why not make it simpler with using only one hot key for equipping Matter Manipulator something like:
    if - Matter manipulator - not equipped - then equip it
    if - Matter manipulator - equipped - then swap tools starting from mining tool to the other two
    maybe even ablity to memorize which tool was selected once you swap from Manipulator to something else and back

Also dont really see the point of changing it color, thats really nitpicking and still quite easily done with mods so...

9. NOAHDADDY

NOAHDADDY Void-Bound Voyager

Wow...It seems that there are good and bad advantages either way. Hopefully it will be just fine.

10. johnjakobjackson

johnjakobjackson Void-Bound Voyager

omg I love it, its beautiful in its simplicity, thanks and as always great work guys.

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

DragonsForce likes this.
  12. saharmali

saharmali Void-Bound Voyager

Okay it's not a very important change but it's more logical to have one tool, because the Stuff is supposed to be IN the Matter Manipulator, but the Wire Tool and the Paint Tool are supposed to be OUT of him, and holding three tools is quite bulky. ^^

13. Nos37

Nos37 Subatomic Cosmonaut

You mean like if they added a Scan Mode to the Matter Manipulator that offered a non-intrusive method of scanning furniture to 3D print without the need to steal, smuggle, and scan the furniture back at the ship? Wouldn't it have to display the cost to scan when hovering over a piece of furniture so that the player could see if they could afford it and better decide if they would like to proceed with scanning? Surely the printing process must remain on the ship at the 3D printer... Brilliant! You're one smart bird, Biirdy!

14. Spacefishlarry

Spacefishlarry Space Hobo