1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Gems 1.2.0 - Enraged Koala

Adds gems to world generation. Useful to sell or to simply add color and variety to worlds.

1. Claith
    Gems
    A Starbound Modification By
    Claith Seebach

(Enraged Koala)
    Version 1.2.0

Gems01-1.1.1.jpg Gems02-1.1.1.jpg Gems03-1.1.1.jpg

gemrow01.png
    gemrow02.png
    This Mod Features:
    • A Variety of Unique Gemstones for each Tier of Content
    • Three Methods of Obtaining Gemstones (Ore, Cracked Ore, Crystals)
    • An Alternative Method to Generate More Pixels
    • Cutting Gemstone Ores into Oval Cuts for Increased Value
    • More Color to these Dreary Realistic Worlds
    • And a Hunt for the Mythical Opal
    Coming Soon After the Break:
    • Crystal Formations on Ceilings and Walls - DONE
    • Craftable Crystal Formations - DONE
    • Augmented Gemstone Armor Sets - Next
    • Better Distribution and Better Pricing
    • Possible Unique Gemstones for Specific Biomes
    • Better Images in the Description! - DONE
    • Rebalanced Coloring of Crystals - DONE

This mod may not feature any other modification that affects the oredistributions.configfunctions pending an update to address the issue and only affects newly spawned planets.

=======================================================
    1.2.0 - Armor Trial
    1. Added Augmented Armors
      • Using gemstone sand (100 currently) it is possible to upgrade the copper armor to the gemstone's tier level, so Opal Copper Armor would be more powerful than Imperivum
      • Takes a lot of work, so only copper armor as a test for right now.
      • Alternatively, may create my own armors instead of reskins of existing armor, but with a much longer delay. I'm not an artist after all.
      • Each gem gives a different effect to the final armor. It may not be obvious sadly.
      • Interface issues are present due to the added effects. Looking into how to address them, or change how I deal with the armors so it could work in the default interface
      • Unlocked at each Tier
    2. Fixed text on ores
      • Emphasis on how to cut the gems
      • Remove "smelting" in description
    3. Switched to a .modpack style
      • Might fix an issue with uploading to this site
      • Still need to unzip.
      • Total filesize is certainly larger once unzipped. Added about 200 KB
    - Added The All-Purpose Gem Facility
    + Learn to craft it by picking up a Robotic Crafting Table
    + Uses Robotics to automatically cut gemstones into a form for higher value
    + Replaces the Stone Furnace for cutting Gems
    + Uses 5 gemstone sand to create 1 Decorative Crystal
    - Added gemstone sand
    + Pick up any gemstone ore to learn the recipe to grind the ore into sand at a Crafting Table
    + Normal gemstone ore and Cracked gemstone ore both give the same amount of sand
    - Added Gemstone Crystals
    + Decorate something.

- Added Crystal Formations on Walls and Ceiling, and the goofy looking crystals are on the background
    + Still only Quartz, Amethyst, Topaz crystals
    + Others are in the resources, but will be craftable next version.
    - Changed formula to determine where crystals spawn. Will likely revert as it was more even previously.

- Updated for engine version Enraged Koala
    - Adjusted crystal colors
    + Only noticeable on the Amethyst and Topaz as others aren't placed for balance's sake

- Public Release

=======================================================

Installation:

1. Unzip Gem - 1.2.0.zip (7zip is good for this)

2. Place file"Gems.modpack" in the "mods" directory in the Starbound game's directory.
    ( eg: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\mods\" )

Older Versions:

For the sake of not having any possible issues, it is best to remove the previous version of the mod before installing another version. There should be no issues with an overwrite of the files, but there will always be the chance I changed the structure some where, causing an issue if the Gems mod folder is not deleted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto the more technical issues.

There is one gem type proper per tier. On a whim, I decided to add the cracked version of the next tier to the current. For example, On a tier 1 planet's surface you should only find Quartz, Cracked Quartz, and Cracked Amethyst.

Do to the way that biomes work, my hand was forced to put Amethyst and Topaz crystal formations in the Core's layer. I can't separate the crystals by tier as far as I know. At best I can add certain crystal types to biomes that only appear on or after certain tiers, but those are mostly surface biomes, and not many of those should have these crystals. Moon, Magma, Volcanic surface biomes spawn Quartz and for the later two, Amethyst crystals.

As for what the crystals give, they give a varied gems, based on the formation type (4 types) and what is used to break them. I'm currently thinking of making a powder version of each gemstone. Any form of the stone could be broken down into a common powder form. Cracked Ore, Ore, and Oval (cut) forms all work. The powder in turn can be used to craft cosmetic versions of the crystals. The powder and the crystals can't be refined for pixels. After this update, I'm toying with the idea of augmented armors. I have plans for those, which I'll share as things get closer to that point.

Each tier of game adds one more gem type to the spawning list. Some gems don't spawn near the surface, and that was done to give more reason to dig down instead of simply skim the surface of each planet. The gem tiers work as such.

Tier 01: Quartz
    Tier 02: Amethyst
    Tier 03: Topaz
    Tier 04: Moonstone (the proper type, not just stone from the moon)
    Tier 05: Malachite
    Tier 06: Jasper
    Tier 07: Sapphire
    Tier 08: Emerald
    Tier 09: Ruby
    Tier X: Opal

These were picked for the difference in color to the ores in the game to make them stand out, and for recognizably of their names. Do hope I got that right.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    Lordanar1337 and chewfaimau like this.

Recent Reviews

1. N1NJ4ftw
    N1NJ4ftw
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2.0 - Enraged Koala
    I love the mod but on Tier 1 planets I have been running into both cracked and non-cracked amethysts as well
  2. hamsterpowerftw
    hamsterpowerftw
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2.0 - Enraged Koala
    epic mod and i love the new armors!
  3. Lordanar1337
    Lordanar1337
    5/5,
    Version: 1.1.1 - Enraged Koala
    Mining is so much fun with this mod. Deep in the dark those shiny-crystals that are hanging/laying around. This brings back a really "mysterious" feeling while caving. I love it, absolutely. Thanks! You deserve the rating
    1. Claith
      Author's Response
      I thank you for the review. I can only hope I can make exploration more interesting.

I'm thinking of trying to make crystal monsters that act like mimics, so once you get close enough, they engage characters. This will not be in the next version, but maybe the one after that. 1.3 about.
  4. VoltStar
    VoltStar
    5/5,
    Version: 1.0.2 - Enraged Koala
    Grate mod for making pixels early / mid game. thanks!
    1. Claith
      Author's Response
      Thanks for the review.

I haven't had much chance to balance the pixel gain per gem yet, so I can only hope they aren't giving too many pixels. Every time I think of playing the game to see, I want to work on one of my mods. Right now I'm playing from the start and trying to rush to tier 3 to see how the decorative crystals work out before I release the next version.

Also a few non-crashing bugs to fix. Hopefully it will be out within 6 hours.
  5. sewens
    sewens
    5/5,
    Version: 1.0.0
    GREATLY helps in earning pixels. This should be in the vanilla game.
    1. Claith
      Author's Response
      That is one thing I hope for. The idea is simple, and improves the game. Gonna update the mod shortly for the new game version.
  6. Kirbyroth
    Kirbyroth
    5/5,
    Very useful don't have to worry bout not having enough pixels after tier upgrading
  7. Dozer
    Dozer
    5/5,
    Well done, good mod! But could have done what some tools or things of your gems?
    1. Claith
      Author's Response
      Thank you Dozer.

Using the gems for equipment? I can't see it for tools, as gemstones are some what brittle. Accented armor perhaps. I'll think about it. One of the next mods I want to work on has to do with equipment, so I could toss it in there.