Comments on Profile Post by Garneac

1. Garneac
    Garneac
    Speaking of TO: you missed the writing contest I hosted! There was over $200 in prize money, if I recall. You would've won the story category had you entered.
    Jun 2, 2014
  2. nababoo
    nababoo
    Ah, what a shame. From what I've seen, you've taken some sort of shepherding role for the writing community there. Good luck to you!

Also, I finished The Folding Knife. Yummy book, I must say.
    Jun 2, 2014
  3. Garneac
    Garneac
    I don't know about shepherding. I mostly just do my own thing. And I spend more time on IGF than I do on Terraria.

But The Folding Knife. Hell yeah.
    Jun 3, 2014
  4. nababoo
    nababoo
    lol the ending though. That Elgabil girl never really understood Basso that well. What a shame, too, it would've been fun to see the Empire square off against the military alliance.

What book would you recommend next? I'm thinking The Company or the Escarpment, simply because they're available at my local bookstore.
    Jun 4, 2014
  5. Garneac
    Garneac
    The Escapement is the third novel in Parker's Engineer trilogy, so I'd stay well away from that until you can find the first book in that series (Devices and Desires).

The Company is a fine book, too (I'm in the middle of re-reading it, actually, along with some other novels). More of an ensemble cast as well, so that ought to be a nice change from the small cast of The Folding Knife.
    Jun 4, 2014
  6. Garneac
    Garneac
    Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of her short stories. I linked to them in the General Literature Discussion thread thingy (whatever its name is).

(Jesus Christ, you have to wait 40 seconds before being able to post again on this site??)
    Jun 4, 2014
  7. nababoo
    nababoo
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be on the lookout for those on my next trip to the nearest compendium of knowledge.
    Jun 4, 2014
  8. nababoo
    nababoo
    I was thinking about hitting up with The Road. Saw it at Barnes & Nobles and the simple gray cover page immediately drew me in.
    Jun 4, 2014
  9. Garneac
    Garneac
    By Cormac McCarthy? Fuck yeah, that's an awesome book. A fine introduction to his work, too. Can't go wrong here.
    Jun 5, 2014
  10. Mercenary Lord
    Mercenary Lord
    beep boop books for me
    to ne'er read but just wiki
    maybe someday i'll take a look
    but till then they just arent my book
    Jun 16, 2014