1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Glitch eating habits

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Dragcun, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Dragcun

Dragcun Subatomic Cosmonaut

Okay, this is a question that has been bugging me for a bit...it may have been addressed elsewhere but I cant find anything on it so maybe someone else can help me with this.
    Why do the Glitch eat? A simple question but one I cant figure out...they build toilets, complex sewer systems, large kitchens and seemingly would hold meals but....why? The Glitch are a race of robots(I haven't heard anyone refer to them as cyborgs which could explain the need to eat so I'm going with robots) which would seemingly not need to eat food for energy or to prevent their bodies from eating themselves yet not only do they starve when they don't eat they build complex sewer systems to get rid of waste, which I don't see how the Glitch make the waste to begin with, yet the sewers are FULL OF IT!!!
    And they freeze to death when they get to cold. Now on the Planets that are giant balls of snow, ice, and hail I could understand that being a issue for a robot if it wasn't designed to work in those climates, but the Glitch seem to freeze just as easily on almost(key word there ALMOST) any planet after the sun/s sets.

And yes for the record I realize this is just a game and hey its a game I love to play but and I LOVE the Glitch....but things like this pick at my brain and drive me nuts till I get a answer. Does anyone have a answer that will stop the little gremlins in my brains from bothering me with these questions?

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

For one of two reasons.

1. They don't know any better. They were originally programmed to play out a sort of historical simulation, so their programming might not make them aware that they don't need to eat and use the bathroom.

2. They eat for energy. Maybe they consume the food for the energy contained and "eject" the waste, in an artificial equivalent of the human digestive system.

3. Dragcun

Dragcun Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can understand the first reason for the Glitch still bound to the Hive Mind but what off the Free Glitch? They still eat yet from the literature and what lore I can find they seem to realize they are robots and even try to figure out who made them....wouldn't they realize the need to eat was a program? The second reason sounds good as well. it would mean that the Glitch have a VERY advanced method of turning food to energy(since they are machines)...but then why wouldn't the other races try copy this tech....seems like it would be fairly useful for other applications as well.

I am sorry if this gets annoying I am not trying to be but it just raises some questions.

4. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

They are sentinel beings. They don't think they are machines, they think they need food. Plus some headcanon, maybe they eat the metal foods, the metal goes into a little furnace into their stomach. The metal, when ready, will be transported into the wound, cooling and repairing the damage (melted).

Yzzey and Jonesy like this.
  5. BiggyNik

BiggyNik Star Wrangler

Personally I like to believe they strive off eating quantum singularities

6. Cobalt01

Cobalt01 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm going with Jonesy's second explanation. after all, our bodies are nothing my than a bio-mechanical machine which does the same thing. No reason a robot couldn't break down food with acids and power itself off the chemical energy released from said reaction. That's good enough for me to suspend disbelief anyway.

The part that I have trouble with is Glitch taking damage from being too cold. In my mind they should just be like...

[​IMG]

Blake81, Jonesy, Slimy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well think of it this way...(might be a bad example but is the one thing pops into my head)

Can you start your car when it is out of fuel?
    Can you breathe the Methane that the car shoots out of the tail pipe?

To the first one, it is like a car needing fuel to run and continue to run.
    To the second one, the methane is the waste product.

Now to the comparison.

I know the glitch are robots, but for most they are machines; they need a supply of fuel in order to work. Whether that is electricity or some other injected substance that is not the question. It needs it what ever form to function.

Each machine has waste, whether it is harmful to anything around them or not is also not the question; it is just waste something that is not needed and is just left over from the process to convert to energy to function.

I see the glitch as primarily machines, yes robots, but they still need a source of fuel, and will have waste product. In the lore they were created to resemble a humanoid. Which means that they found a way to convert materials into energy; think the time machine dalorian in back to the future II. Doc opens the top to put trash into the the car, for a type of fuel to something or other. Similar concept in that respects. Now it processes what ever the glitch needs to each and convert, of course it doesn't need certain things within what it ingests; that is why there is waste product. Hence the sewers probably.

Also another decent example of ingestion would be the replicators in Star Gate, in which eat metal; although there seems to be hardly any waste in that respects... Unsure if there is, that series never went into that much detail on those machines.

So my point is that the glitch, at least to me, are robotic machines. The creators made them with the intent of them developing like a humanoid; they just happen to get stuck in that era of things. :)

8. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the glitch, being a simulation of life, are programmed to shut down when out of food or in extreme cold or other situations normal things would die in.
    as to why the free thinkers dont just change this programming in them self, I think they dont know how to, or that it simply has many things that prevent it from being changed. im not sure the actual reason, but those 2 ideas make sense

Catoosie likes this.
  9. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Perhaps the technology or something similar has been applied . I mean, we can put coal in a space ships engine and achieve warp speed. It's not fantastic, but clearly we are getting more power out than one would expect.

10. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Hopefully we can put are heads together as a community and iron this out.

Haedes, devferret, Jonesy and 2 others like this.
  11. Spacebeard the Pirate

Spacebeard the Pirate Void-Bound Voyager

That pun be so bad I be havin' t' give 't a like.

mollygos and Serenity like this.
  12. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Pretty much this.

Of course the actual reason is if the glitch did not freeze and could not starve they would be the most OP race, near everyone would play them, and the game would have to be renamed Glitchbound. Oh hey, new silly theory.

3. Designed to prevent robot takeover. The creators programmed in food and cooling needs so the glitch could not rise up against them and take them over by being able to simply outlast their organic makers.

13. TenshiCZ

TenshiCZ Star Wrangler

Personaly i think its sacrificing lore for gameplay :D

14. BiggyNik

BiggyNik Star Wrangler

'Eeeeeeeey, I see what you did there :iswydt:

Serenity likes this.
  15. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

If you want to have the best Glitch-Eating habits... Floran says add lots of spear, and bring can opener. Vegetable Soup is glorious hunt in jungle, but sometimes you must go to villages to find enough for a meal.

16. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

I think that Glitch either have those small engines inside them those need energy, or they are just programmed to feel hungry and "die" when they starve. Like few people already stated.

This made me think, if Glitch "dies", can it be repaired? Or does it have some kind of equivalent to soul? Machine Spirit? :DD

Haedes and Tamorr like this.
  17. Titanium Blackbird

Titanium Blackbird Space Hobo

Because if hunger and warmth wasn't a necessity for a Glitch, it wouldn't be fair for the other races and everyone would choose them, despite how they may look. Yes, I find their spritework distasteful, deal with it.

18. Fiben Bolger

Fiben Bolger Pangalactic Porcupine

Dumb jokes ore serious bismuth.

Haedes and Serenity like this.
  19. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

devferret and Serenity like this.
  20. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

They eat for the same reason we do. They might be robotic but they've gotta fuel themselves somehow.

The real mystery is where their mouths are and how they eat.