Zombie Survival Mode

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alvin Flummox, May 23, 2012.

1. Phantomhearts

Phantomhearts Phantasmal Quasar

Then again all they need to do is make the planet civilized and remove civilian ai's or replace it with the zombies.

2. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

True. Lol, but some of the dungeons don't exactly fit the theme, Avian flying airship dungeon, glitch castle dungeon etc. It just depends on what he wants. :unsure:

3. Weaxer

Weaxer Void-Bound Voyager

I'm a huge fan of The Walking Dead, L4D games and such... but in Starbound... no way, please leave that stuff out

4. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

If they couldn't break blocks there really wouldn't be much point in leaving the base to kill them though. They'd all funnel in through the one entrance, so it would be far easier to just stay in the base and kill them as they came in. There'd be no possibility of surprise and them coming from any direction you weren't expecting.

I'd be sort of against modular building though, as that seems both kind of awkward, and against the whole aspect of freedom to build how you want. There will always be people that build their base to break the system and get around everything, but that's their choice and can't really be helped. I feel that a lot of people prefer to actually play in a way that gives the enemies and chance and provides at least a modicum of challenge. At the end of the day, people are going to play how they feel most comfortable, and how they most enjoy themselves.

I still think that being able to break blocks opens up more options for strategy rather than taking them away, so I still stand by my decision to include it.
    Yeah that was the idea! :) I assume there would be some way to hijack the already in place generation system and use it to place towns and villages instead.
    Because of the whole zombie thing? I'll find what I said before if that would make any difference:

Farathil likes this.
  5. Annoctatio

Annoctatio Pangalactic Porcupine

I assume the "Zombie Survival Mode" stands for "different gameplay mode. You can play the original game but this is here so you can have other kinds of fun".

If I've assumed correctly, I see no point in people saying "No." to this great suggestion.
    I've always loved zombies. I probably always will. I believe I would even love a planet that has zombie infection going on.

Would be neat. <3

6. Phantomhearts

Phantomhearts Phantasmal Quasar

Would be neat but odds are it isnt getting in. zombies maybe. all the thing in this tread 75/25 will the 25 being chance it gets in as apart of game 100% chance as a mod.

Annoctatio likes this.
  7. Annoctatio

Annoctatio Pangalactic Porcupine

Yay for mods! (We're probably getting modding API post-release.)

8. Alvin Flummox

Haha yeah definitely, I wasn't suggesting 'abandon Starbound and replace all the loveliness with zombies, NOW!'. Just thought it might be interesting to utilise their pretty impressive sounding engine in different ways. I do love zombies, but I don't really feel like they'd fit in with the main game completely, so a separate mode seemed like a suitable alternative to me.

Annoctatio likes this.
  9. Supreme Suprise

Supreme Suprise Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Originality, I thinking this was your typical run of the mill zombie Apocalypse survival type thing. You sir, proved me wrong. I really like this idea. I feel that you've taken the same old, same old and adapted it into something more unique while at the same time presenting it in a way that would fit into starbound. :zombie: :unsure:

10. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Just check out Project Zomboid... I don't know if its already been mentioned but 17 pages is entirely too much to read through. It has every single thing you've mentioned as far as gameplay. Almost word for word.

11. Alvin Flummox

Yeah, already bought that ages ago actually :D I get what you mean, but I still think my idea isn't super similar other than the zombie survival aspect. I was obviously going for a more Starboundy feel, so a much larger feeling, planet-wide area to explore, and utilising what we've seen so far of the pretty impressive engine. I also wanted it to be slightly more fast paced, and have a bit more of a combat aspect than Project Zomboid. Last time I played (albeit a long time ago, so I apologise if it's completely different now) it was quite slow paced, and didn't really have much tension, whereas I'd want the player to have a more constant feeling of unease and danger, and never knowing when something might surprise them. I feel having more zombie types, and the ability to find other survivors, would help to add more variety than just the general hordes that Project Zomboid gives you. There is only so much variety with zombies in general though!

12. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Oh, you should check it out again... it's a different game now. You'd be impressed at how far it has come. Believe me.

Alvin Flummox likes this.
  13. Alvin Flummox

That's the problem with betas starting too early! I get bored of them before the game really flourishes and then never really go back. I still think my idea stands on it's own two legs enough though, without being too similar.

14. Gears

Gears Contact!

I like this idea, but a few things:

Bleeding is a nice thing to have in slower survival games, such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but in this it would be a huge pain, I mean, ask your self: with 50 undead scrambling at the door, would you really want to patch yourself up 50 times? It would be more of a hassle than a game mechanic.

Your pixel art is awesome, but maybe find some more types of zombies, instead of the been there, done that L4D types. The Matriarchs are really neat, but what about a few crazy zombies that burrow under you, or pretend to be dead? Or howsabout they crawl along the ceiling with hands they pick up with dead zombies by sealing them to their back? :D

15. DuckLord

DuckLord Void-Bound Voyager

This is such a great idea so that's why i think you should expand on the concept and make a whole game out of it.

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm not really bothered. Not every game needs zombies. Especially Starbound. That said, it might be an interesting mod.

PurpleHamsta43 likes this.
  17. PurpleHamsta43

PurpleHamsta43 Star Wrangler

You defiantly put alot of thought and time into this. Maybe this can be a server game that you can play with your friends

18. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

One of those zombie Avians at the end there look familiar...

Alvin Flummox likes this.
  19. PurpleHamsta43

PurpleHamsta43 Star Wrangler

Looks like an owl:raccoon:

20. Biscuit Sawce

Biscuit Sawce Pangalactic Porcupine

HOLY CRAP! WOW! I GOTTA SAY THIS IS A-W-E-S-O-M-E! If this was a stretch goal, please let it be!!! Dear Chucklefish! IMPLEMENT THIS PLEASE!!!!!!! WOW! This is very interesting! 10/10! Please Chucklefish! Make this a stretch goal!!! Or implement this in the near future please!!!

Jimlad 42 likes this.