1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice Your Feedback on a preorder

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wunkerful

wunkerful Void-Bound Voyager

I will definitely preorder! I'd be cool with 15 and as for rewards I have no clue and am not generally interested in those. I got Halo Reach and Mass Effect 3 collectors editions and all that extra stuff is pretty trivial and one-off.

2. PlanutExplorer

PlanutExplorer Void-Bound Voyager

*loads cash cannonball into cannon and fires* "Take mah money!" ;D

Ellie likes this.
  3. Finals1n

Finals1n Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds excellent, Hopefully I can sort my compy out when it's available for preorder ^^;

4. Rogue

Rogue Poptop Tamer

I'm totally fine with pre-ordering the game as long as it helps you, even though there is no acutal date for the beta.
    Besides that I'd like to see paysafecard as a payment method, since it is quite easy and the only payment method I can use at the moment.

5. Xorianth

Xorianth Void-Bound Voyager

6. feathy

feathy Yeah, You!

Sure, Steam has the 'Early Access' but based on what Tiy wrote, that's not going to happen *until* they reach Beta. Paying monies up front on a pre-order is not going to get you earlier access to the game (unless perhaps you were VERY generous on a more personal level!)

That said, it should allow them to reach the point of wanting to release the game as a beta version that much earlier since those who are working on the game can devote more time and energy on it without having to worry about other jobs. Giving up those other jobs for those involved in development is such a significant risk (especially in the current economic climate) that there'd have to be a minimum level of guaranteed income for X months before they'd take that risk. That's the whole idea about trying to generate capital through advance ordering. If advance orders don't reach that minimum threshold to allow those others to feel comfortable giving up their other jobs, then it's not going to speed things up by any significant amount. Hence probably the enquiry... and why I'd think something like Kickstarter isn't such a bad idea. It's like pre-ordering, but the project isn't funded until the minimum threshold is reached which would give an even more assured guarantee to those who choose to back the project.

7. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Eh I have a feeling we're getting a bit too hyped for this game, and to me it seems a little like we're feature creeping. I don't believe in waiting till a game is considered "as complete as possible" for release because you can always think of more things to add, things which could easily be added in later patches (cooking and fishing are two examples).

That said, I would happily pre-order this game. It provides a new experience. But if it is a disappointment I can say I'm not going to look forward to anything else Chucklefish is making.

8. Galafrein

Galafrein Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would definitely pre-order.

9. WarDriver

WarDriver Big Damn Hero

me too, I would pre order it now, I totally understand that you guys are needing the cash and all. the fact that you changed the release date is probably because something didn't go as planned and in the world of software that means a cost increment. so yeah I would back this project for up to 100USD seeing as it is a game my clan has been expecting and if there is any chance at all they'll get a pre-release/beta version it makes it my responsibility to support this project.

Regarding the payment method add a paypal/googlepay option seeing as those services are widely available.
    I don't really think you guys should charge less, I mean the game is the incentive in itself its not about the money, in fact it should be noted that you have a great community with many active members that know your work from previous titles its a safe bet that this game will be at least enjoyable.

Also I don't understand your reasons for asking I think you should have just made it available regardless, you need the money, we'll gladly give it to you and in exchange we would still get beta/prerelase and the game itself, it should just be noted that you need to be careful when transferring your clients that bought the game on the website to steam as it could be a problem with steam since they do take commission for every sale made on their website, just check with steam first, see what they have to say on the subject and thats that.

I hope this post contributes in some way to your decision.

10. WarDriver

WarDriver Big Damn Hero

so you get a physical copy and a roll of paper (like those huge ones used in ancient egypt) with all the developers signatures yay

11. El Matador

El Matador Void-Bound Voyager

I love this preorder idea. The only ideas I have for reward tiers are the basic things: about $5 for music; definitely some posters or something for an extra $20 because you guys have beautiful artwork. I've seen some games that make personal notes for people around the third tier. I would just try to make as many tiers as possible, because some people can be very generous. The game 'There came an Echo' received 4 $3000 backers and they got to be flown out for a launch party, and they got signatures and Hi resolution artwork of anything from the game. They also got unlimited hugs which made the $3000 dollars really worth while. I'm so excited for this game I'd buy just about anything you guys are willing to offer.

BurlCato likes this.
  12. BurlCato

BurlCato Aquatic Astronaut

I would personally drive to your house and give you a crispy new c-note right this second.

But if you'd rather have ten bucks, I guess I would be okay with that too. I am def preordering this one asap.

13. Hellemans Maxim

Hellemans Maxim Yeah, You!

Been roaming this forum and website quite often over the last year and all I can say is I look forward to preordering this game. The features Tiy enlists are kinda great and the only thing the starbound team shouldn't do is implement micro transactions or just like in the recently released Tomb Raider et cetera, lock away gameplay for the ones preordering. In Tomb Raider you got like a couple of dungeons extra from the day of release when you preordered ( if I'm correct ) and I would not like to see an extra playable race limited to those who preordered.

So basically I think the idea of a preorder is great. You get a fair amount of information about your fanbase and they get rewarded for their anticipation and patience. Therefore a beta with a "report bugs section" would be perfect along with a headstart like in Guild Wars 2.

Keep up the good work

14. Patrick Scott

Patrick Scott Void-Bound Voyager

I will admit to not reading 63 pages of replies, sorry if I repeat any ideas.

I've been lurking http://playstarbound.com/ and these forums for ages since a friend told me about it. I can't even guess how big your actual community might be due to people such as myself not being 'on the radar' so to speak.

Your opening post seems to cover all the bases as far as making sure people get a deal. Even just getting Steam keys and win/mac/linux versions are a good start. As for rewards tiers there's often worry about special content that gives players an unfair edge but I think that only depends on the content given. Giving out unique content is harmful as it separates players right off the bat, but you can give out existing content as long as anyone could earn it over time. The danger (backlash?) is further lessened if any special pre-order content can bring players together sooner. As an example you start one tech upgrade ahead in a particular field or something and you can give/trade this with others or it lets you travel to a friends planet sooner or even take friends to advanced places sooner. As long as other players can access that same tech upgrade through regular game play there is no harm in the end.

If it's a few hours head start play-time wise it doesn't upset any major balance but it's still an ok incentive. If you start handing out 'I Win' buttons then you are on the wrong path.

All that being said, just tell me where the preorder bandwagon is and I will jump in it and ride it like I stole something!

15. PadocholikPL

PadocholikPL Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great preorder . I must buy this game :)

16. Chaos Llama

Chaos Llama Void-Bound Voyager

I will preorder two copies given the opportunity! I absolutely have faith regarding the quality of the release, and when it comes is no concern to me. I would rather wait however long it takes for y'all to be satisfied, rather than get it sooner yet less complete. I probably won't even play the beta much, so as to be more "fresh" when the game is fully polished. Far more than early access, I would really love to be able to track y'alls progress via the roadmap, so that would be a big plus for me (though I'll preorder anyway, regardless).

I'm glad development is going well and that you're enjoying yourselves. Keep up the good work, and thanks for being so open and awesome!

17. Musadriff

Musadriff Void-Bound Voyager

I never preorder games, really. Been spending money on steam keys for a long time now. I buy like 2-4 steam games every month, but never preordered or kickstarted.

But i would preorder from you. Just make sure you keep up the good work (im expecting stardew valley too)

I've been anxious for this game like i never was before since i first saw it last year.

STOP TALKING AND TAKE MY MONEY!

18. JohnnyRage

JohnnyRage Void-Bound Voyager

Do it do it do it! :)

19. Cimino12

Cimino12 Orbital Explorer

is a very good idea, i preorder as soon as possible xDD

20. Sandalwood

Sandalwood Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd preorder the second it's possible, no matter the payment method, but since i already used it often my favorite would be the humble store. as for tiered rewards i'm totally clueless, but the mentioned digital artbook and soundtrack would definitely find some takers imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.